PDA

View Full Version : Massive multi-million dollar family home rising west of Calgary

Pages : [1] 2

roopi
05-28-2014, 04:01 PM
Should have built a smaller house and hired someone to design it. Look like they just used a basic hotel blueprint.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/massive-multi-million-dollar-family-home-rising-west-of-calgary-1.1842534

suntan
05-28-2014, 04:03 PM
It's got solar panels, so it's all good.

roopi
05-28-2014, 04:07 PM
CTV new reporters need to work on their Google skills. Put in 'Ernest Hon' and I comes up showing he is the directo of sales and marketing of Hon Developments (The Guardian).

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Advertising+feature+Developments/9490835/story.html

suntan
05-28-2014, 04:11 PM
Build inner city boxes, live in giant house outside of city.

Just the way the urban twits want it.

sxtasy
05-28-2014, 04:12 PM
80 acres and they put the house right beside the highway :nut:

beyond_ban
05-28-2014, 04:19 PM
I drove by that place on my way to my camp site during May long. I thought it looked like a small hotel, but with the huge garage it almost looked like an government building with room to store fleet vehicles. Definitely didn't expect it to be a single family home.

That video doesn't do it justice, the place is ridiculously large when seen in person. I wonder what's going to be stored inside that garage ...

Brent.ff
05-28-2014, 04:25 PM
ya been watching that thing for the last year or so, they put up the massive towers last fall... it looks like a hotel for sure. And with an awesome view of highway 22..

I think it's also a bit down in the valley so no amazing mtn view

HiTempguy1
05-28-2014, 04:36 PM
Scumbag Albertans:

"3.1 million dollar house; not built out of ICF"

Lolololololololololololololol.

A790
05-28-2014, 05:01 PM
Not my taste, but hey, if they got the cash I don't see the problem.

Darell_n
05-28-2014, 05:14 PM
I don't understand why somebody would build a house that size out of plywood and sticks. Why not make something that will last more than 75 years before it rots into the ground?

As for design, the new home that is North closer to the overpass is a much more elegant design and has multiple buildings, not just one large apartment block.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-28-2014, 05:23 PM
I heard from friends who live in Redwood Meadows that the house might be for the Shaw family.

Cos
05-28-2014, 05:30 PM

dezmarez
05-28-2014, 05:38 PM
A little more research on Calgary Puck..

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=107816

from that thread:

Arriva was bought out by Jager Homes/ and Nicholas is the son who will be in charge of the development in Calgary as his dad looks after their real estate in Asia. He is in his 20's and has to have over 3 million in vehicles parked at ArriVa. Everything from Lambo's to Ferrari's to a Rolls Royce. I think he even has a couple Range Rovers? maybe one for even/odd days of the month? lol

Would explain the need for all those garages and security.

Graham_A_M
05-28-2014, 06:31 PM
To me that house is retarded, lacks style or cadence, its just an overly huge house, which would likely never be anymore then 1/10th used realistically speaking.

Its merely an extension of the guys ego. :rolleyes:

eglove
05-28-2014, 06:40 PM
Well at least all Nick's cars will be out there instead of in some random parking floor downtown

tpurcell4
05-28-2014, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
Scumbag Albertans:

"3.1 million dollar house; not built out of ICF"

Lolololololololololololololol.

That has to be pushing well over $3.1 Million. We just financed a project not far from there that would fit in the foyer of that Mansion for $2M+ on only 4 acres.

Sugarphreak
05-28-2014, 07:44 PM

revelations
05-28-2014, 07:58 PM
The gateway/entrance area "security" towers probably have 2x the SQFT of my condo alone.

But yea, thats a retarded location for a mansion IMO. Most of the (smart) well off tend to avoid publicity. Good luck.

n1zm0
05-28-2014, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
To me that house is retarded, lacks style or cadence, its just an overly huge house, which would likely never be anymore then 1/10th used realistically speaking.

Its merely an extension of the guys ego. :rolleyes:

Mainlander style.

jampack
05-28-2014, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by revelations
The gateway/entrance area "security" towers probably have 2x the SQFT of my condo alone.

But yea, thats a retarded location for a mansion IMO. Most of the (smart) well off tend to avoid publicity. Good luck.

I've seen the entrance also and I already thought it's going to be like a mansion lol.

It's off highway 22 near the roundabout; seen it coming from Banff on the way home. I'm actually kinda surprise such kind of home is being built here for some reason lol.

7thgenvic
05-28-2014, 10:45 PM
I like the work Hons! :)

redbaron303
05-28-2014, 11:11 PM
Impressive. There was a comment there from someone in Cochrane that said "from reliable sources they hear there are multiple families to be living in this home, up to 8".

I really hope we don't see the trend of these oversized, monstrosities taking over where there is several families living in them.... anyone who has lived in Vancouver or it's burbs knows what a nuisance those dwellings are.... "Single Family" homes that are actually apartments inside with a plethora of usually overly cheap cars in front taking up street parking.... Usually common in Surrey and Richmond (in Vancouver's burbs that's an actual problem).

Otherwise, will be neat to see when it's finished - who are we to criticize someone's success and how flash they wish to be??

01RedDX
05-29-2014, 12:05 AM

max_boost
05-29-2014, 01:18 AM
Lol as they like it. Haters gonna hate lol

darthVWader
05-29-2014, 05:46 AM
One rumor was the land was originally Bernard Callebauts land and he was going to build and move his factory from DT. And he had the fence up before his company shit the bed.

Cos
05-29-2014, 07:03 AM

Serria1
05-29-2014, 07:17 AM
really hope we don't see the trend of these oversized, monstrosities taking over where there is several families living in them.... anyone who has lived in Vancouver or it's burbs knows what a nuisance those dwellings are.... "Single Family" homes that are actually apartments inside with a plethora of usually overly cheap cars in front taking up street parking.... Usually common in Surrey and Richmond (in Vancouver's burbs that's an actual problem).

Go east to Conrich and look around...

Aleks
05-29-2014, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Lol as they like it. Haters gonna hate lol

No doubt. I wonder what type of house that lady lives in that was hating in the article.

CapnCrunch
05-29-2014, 07:50 AM
Eh, not my style, but I'll reserve judgement until I see how they finish the exterior.

mr2mike
05-29-2014, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by eglove
Well at least all Nick's cars will be out there instead of in some random parking floor downtown

I'm hoping it's either got great fire surpression or the garage is concrete inside. Just to protect the rarity of some of those vehicles.

Dave P
05-29-2014, 07:56 AM
Dat Garage Doe

G-ZUS
05-29-2014, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Dave P
Dat Garage Doe

:werd:

Masked Bandit
05-29-2014, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
If you're going to build a huge ostentatious home, at least make it original. If you want to build a chateau replica, then at least use masonry and not wood.
Otherwise, you'll end up with this fake, soul-less knock-off vibe. Typical Chinese replica.

My guess is that the exterior will be covered in stone veneer of some kind so it LOOKS like a castle, just not as strong as one.

Originally posted by Dave P
Dat Garage Doe

TRUTH!

bjstare
05-29-2014, 08:28 AM
3.1M is peanuts for a house that size, I'd expect it's going to be not all that nice.

I know of houses that have around the same construction cost (no, not land, just construction) that are 1/4 the size. What a waste. And to top it off, it's not original at all.

I agree, that if you're gonna go the chateau route, at least do it right.

darthVWader
05-29-2014, 08:58 AM
I think it looks more like business then a home. Maybe a home builder? Kinda like how Shane homes has theres done.

Canmorite
05-29-2014, 09:22 AM
Wow, reminds me of a chateau. Would love to see the finished product!

Darkane
05-29-2014, 09:36 AM
Lol. I see no issue with this. It's probably some 20 kids and counting family.

They need space!

max_boost
05-29-2014, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
Eh, not my style, but I'll reserve judgement until I see how they finish the exterior. I know it's like ppl are so upset about this I don't get it at all lol

cloud7
05-29-2014, 11:55 AM
The garage looks like it's two deep... as I think I see a garage door on the back side as well... so if there are 9 doors, there is likely room for 18 cars.

ercchry
05-29-2014, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
3.1M is peanuts for a house that size, I'd expect it's going to be not all that nice.

I know of houses that have around the same construction cost (no, not land, just construction) that are 1/4 the size. What a waste. And to top it off, it's not original at all.

I agree, that if you're gonna go the chateau route, at least do it right.

that 3.1m is for sure the bare minimum value they had to give to get the permits... im sure the overall cost is MUCH higher. but this also appears to be a house from someone in the industry so i doubt they are paying retail either

Originally posted by max_boost
I know it's like ppl are so upset about this I don't get it at all lol

i believe the technical term is "hater" :rofl:

JustinMCS
05-29-2014, 01:01 PM
I don't know why people are upset about it? There are plenty of large homes across Calgary. There are two massive ones off Lower Springbank Road.

It's their land and money, and it was approved. I guess people will hate the things they can't afford.

HiTempguy1
05-29-2014, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by tpurcell4

That has to be pushing well over $3.1 Million. We just financed a project not far from there that would fit in the foyer of that Mansion for $2M+ on only 4 acres.

I was just quoting the article for permits, as others have stated.

Point is, it looks like it is being built for quantity, not quality. :dunno:

Disoblige
05-29-2014, 01:08 PM
Damn, a party in there would be epic.

flipstah
05-29-2014, 01:22 PM
It's our generation's version of castles except they'll erode faster.

blitz
05-29-2014, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Point is, it looks like it is being built for quantity, not quality. :dunno:

Pretty hard to determine that based off of photos taken from a few hundred yards away, isn't it?

Looks like they're even using real plywood instead of OSB.

mazdavirgin
05-29-2014, 01:31 PM
It's so damn ugly... Not to mention why is it so long and not equivalently wide? That and the weird like "guard" post things they have going on there... :rofl: So horrible you would think rich people would have better taste and build something nice like the fancy stone houses next to the river in mount royal.

beyond_ban
05-29-2014, 01:42 PM
I'd definitely film ProjectX 2 there

faiz999
05-29-2014, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin
It's so damn ugly... Not to mention why is it so long and not equivalently wide? That and the weird like "guard" post things they have going on there... :rofl: So horrible you would think rich people would have better taste and build something nice like the fancy stone houses next to the river in mount royal.

some mansions are just tacky, which proves you can't buy taste...but you could probably hire someone with some.

max_boost
05-29-2014, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by JustinMCS
I don't know why people are upset about it? There are plenty of large homes across Calgary. There are two massive ones off Lower Springbank Road.

It's their land and money, and it was approved. I guess people will hate the things they can't afford. the opinions are funny though lol

:rofl:

euro_racer
05-29-2014, 02:09 PM
My only complaint is the size of this house is a little over-kill. I have no idea how you are going to make use of all that living space... With that said I think it's pretty damn bad-ass! I wouldn't complain about the design being ugly just yet, it is still not finished, there will probably be some landscaping to make it more beautiful and I can also imagine the back of the house being pretty crazy with pools, b-ball/tennis courts, crazy patio, etc...

flipstah
05-29-2014, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by JustinMCS

It's their land and money, and it was approved. I guess people will hate the things they can't afford.

It's always like that. Welcome to life.

#HATERNATION

Sugarphreak
05-29-2014, 03:45 PM

ercchry
05-29-2014, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

:werd:

One day I am going to build my own house… and it is going to be 90% concrete and black tinted glass with a waterfall running over white stone in the centre.

FYI: It won't be looking at a highway

i can see you now...

http://www.technictime.ru/published/publicdata/TECHTIMETNEW/attachments/SC/products_pictures/02-2010%20Do%C2%A6%D0%98ttling%2010798%20copie_enl.jpg

mazdavirgin
05-29-2014, 04:02 PM
I just don't get it... The styling looks like a cheap super 8 hotel.

When you build a house in that price range I would expect architecture of some form. Something to make it unique and striking.

Example:
http://www.sothebysrealty.com/eng/sales/detail/180-l-738-mbkeps/exquiste-waterfront-hollinsworth-estate-west-vancouver-bc-v7v1e4

Now for the real beyond ballers:
http://www.sothebysrealty.com/eng/sales/detail/180-l-675-etfqec/james-island-gulf-islands-bc

Comes with it's own 18-hole Jack Nicklaus Signature golf course...

suntan
05-29-2014, 04:03 PM
Watch Epic on Cottage Life. One motherfucker in the Hamptons built a 31000 sq ft house.

roopi
05-29-2014, 04:22 PM

http://www.sothebysrealty.com/eng/sales/detail/180-l-675-etfqec/james-island-gulf-islands-bc

'Price Upon Request'

It's like the catch of the day at market price. If you have to ask you can't afford it. :rofl:

lilmira
05-29-2014, 05:03 PM
With a house that big, what do you do when the kids need to peepee? The washroom can be blocks away. :devil:

Sugarphreak
05-29-2014, 05:38 PM

Cos
05-29-2014, 05:48 PM

S4maniac
05-29-2014, 07:46 PM

Comes with it's own 18-hole Jack Nicklaus Signature golf course...

James Island was listed last year at $75M, about the same as its tax assessment. I imagine they'll take offers near assessed value, heh heh.

revelations
05-29-2014, 07:58 PM
There's hating simply because they are rich, which is what many people do - and then there is disliking the layout, location, style of a property..... to each their own in that dept i guess :dunno:

revelations
05-29-2014, 08:05 PM
That James Island location - IMO is not built for the location properly. The massive deck is practical 2-3 months of the year max. Rest of the time its raining or getting ready to rain. I would have sun rooms everywhere myself.

baygirl
05-29-2014, 08:47 PM
I just found this on the Sotheby's site: $35,000,000
:eek: :eek:

http://www.sothebysrealty.com/eng/sales/detail/180-l-1454-emq6xw/kettle-lake-ranch-calgary-ab-t2j2t9

Darell_n
05-29-2014, 09:38 PM
The problem I have with this project is the stated land and house value. If it's even remotely accurate then some sort of corruption investigation needs to happen because that land is worth a hell of a lot more than $11,000. I would have bought all the land between the #8 and #1 with my blue collar wage.

roopi
05-29-2014, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Darell_n
The problem I have with this project is the stated land and house value. If it's even remotely accurate then some sort of corruption investigation needs to happen because that land is worth a hell of a lot more than $11,000. I would have bought all the land between the #8 and #1 with my blue collar wage.

Seems to be pretty normal during the build phase. I was looking up assessed values in Mahogany out of curiosity and a Baywest showhome on the lake is currently listed for sale at 1.5 million. When I spoke to Baywest they told me the minimum cost of a house on that lot is 1.3 million. Current assessed value with the city is under 800K. I don't get it. I tried to fight my assessment based on this and they told me too bad and would not explain how the assessment was possible.

masoncgy
05-30-2014, 11:31 AM
http://photos.wikimapia.org/p/00/01/31/08/39_big.jpg

"In West Philadelphia... born and raised..."

That's the first thing that comes to mind when I see that house, a larger version of Uncle Phil & Aunt Viv's place.

ercchry
05-30-2014, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by baygirl

http://www.sothebysrealty.com/eng/sales/detail/180-l-1454-emq6xw/kettle-lake-ranch-calgary-ab-t2j2t9

the amazing thing about money is... no matter how much of it you have, there is someone out there willing to help you spend it :rofl:

dubhead
05-30-2014, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Serria1

Go east to Conrich and look around...

Yeah at a far away glance it looks like a bunch of big houses then when you get close you realize they all have 5+ families living in each one.

FixedGear
05-30-2014, 07:49 PM

I'm guessing they built the house on a small parcel of land (valued at $11k) that was sectioned out of the larger piece of land, and then have these legally owned by separate entities. This is pretty common for buildings on large expensive pieces of land, in the US anyhow.

atgilchrist
05-30-2014, 10:38 PM
I must be jaded. I've been in numerous places here in Kelowna larger, worth more, etc. Guy I know auctioned his house off with no reserve last summer for nearly $5m, and the new owner has already lopped of the roof to add another floor. Figure he's into the place for close to $10m now.

atgilchrist
05-30-2014, 10:43 PM
Next door to this one:
http://m.realtor.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?PropertyId=13638011

thager
06-02-2014, 10:35 AM
i might have a connection to get some interior pics of this place, just gotta wait till his trade starts there work in the house.

Kloubek
06-02-2014, 10:47 AM
I saw this on the way to offroading at McLean this weekend.

Yes, it is every bit as enormous as the pictures suggest.

So what. Somebody has a lot of money and is dumping it into a massive, yet uninteresting house. They have the choice to spend it on whatever they feel like - who's in any position to judge?

mrsingh
06-02-2014, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
So what. Somebody has a lot of money and is dumping it into a massive, yet uninteresting house. They have the choice to spend it on whatever they feel like - who's in any position to judge?

Fully agree, people care too much about what other people do even when it doesn't impact them at all.

FraserB
06-02-2014, 01:06 PM

What would you like them to investigate? The fact that people who own housing companies don't pay retail for stuff related to building a house? The fact the total value might not be being released? Farmland valuation rules?

Xtrema
06-02-2014, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by baygirl

That was on the news awhile back. They expect it will take years to get rid of this property.

After all this famous house took 5 years and more than 50% off to be sold:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/jun/02/ferris-buellers-day-off-ferrari-crash-house-sold

Mitsu3000gt
06-02-2014, 02:57 PM
I know the article says $3.1M but I find that extremely hard to believe. I don't think you could build a house that size and finish it nicely inside for so little. It also will probably need staff to maintain a property that size, but I'm sure that isn't an issue haha.

Not that I could afford it, but if you can get that for $3.1M that's actually pretty good.

sputnik
06-03-2014, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
After all this famous house took 5 years and more than 50% off to be sold:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/jun/02/ferris-buellers-day-off-ferrari-crash-house-sold

The Ferris Bueller house wasn't exactly in the best shape. Most reports were that it needed a fair bit of renovation and that the price was overstated solely due to its Hollywood image.

englishbob
06-03-2014, 08:02 AM

If its undeveloped farmland then the taxable value could quite easily be that low.As soon as the house is started then the assessment will obviously rocket.
My meagre 9 acres had an assessment of $700 10 years ago.

tpurcell4
06-04-2014, 10:43 AM
I just came from breakfast, and the owners of the home are friends of one of the gentlemen there. Not sure if this has already come up, but it is actually a 20+ car garage! Just throwing that out there!

ExtraSlow
06-09-2014, 03:42 PM
Drove past this place on the weekend. Looks awful from the road. They shoudl have built a smaller house on a nicer peice of land.

freshprince1
10-21-2016, 12:43 PM
I've been driving past this place for years...the mega mouse on the West side of Highway 22 between the TransCanada and Highway 8. Know the one?

Anyone know who it is building that palace?

I saw a post on LinkedIN by a custom cieling contractor who did some interior dome cielings there. he posted some other pic's...

Link to pics (http://www.houzz.com/projects/1396968)

Anyone have more details? The same guy mentioned that this is just the "entertaining" home for the owner.

roopi
10-21-2016, 12:50 PM
Look at all that gold. :rofl:

Minimalist
10-21-2016, 01:05 PM
The owner was outed a while back, an under thirty-year-old, golden spooned Hong Kong real estate developer (housing mostly), educated in the USA/Canada. Came to Calgary with his architect brother as all the other HK/CH gold spoons were in Vancouver and Toronto. Calgary was unmarked, ripe for the parking of their family billions.

Nicholas Hon, his bro is Ernest Hon.

http://calgaryherald.com/life/homes/condos/calgary-icons-the-guardian?__lsa=79f8-1e44

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-382569.html

The OP link to the ceiling pics works and I'd think someone is in for a firing. Can't imagine this is OK by a quiet HK family.

dirtsniffer
10-21-2016, 01:12 PM
link doesn't really work for me

lilmira
10-21-2016, 01:14 PM
Is that the Trump tower? millions of millions of gold, tremendous success, under budget and ahead of schedule, nothing but the best, and it's huge.

lamp_shade_2000
10-21-2016, 01:25 PM
Is it just me or is that one hallway super narrow. I feel the hall in my townhouse is wider than that even.

blownz
10-21-2016, 01:28 PM
Surprised something that big is built entirely with wood. I know of a massive house that was built outside of Edmonton and the entire thing is concrete and steel. And not a modern looking house, just built to last and high quality.

And I find it hard to believe anyone under 30 would like the interior styling in that place... looks like something some seniors would do :barf:

Buster
10-21-2016, 02:00 PM
Money does not buy class and good taste.

Swank
10-21-2016, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by lamp_shade_2000
Is it just me or is that one hallway super narrow. I feel the hall in my townhouse is wider than that even. I noticed that too, way too narrow to be a hallway, but what else could it be?

Kloubek
10-21-2016, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Swank
I noticed that too, way too narrow to be a hallway, but what else could it be?

I really don't think it is as narrow as you think; probably standard width. The ceilings are tall, so I imagine that opening is some 10 feet high or more.

Even at regular width though, they built the rest of the house with ridiculous opulence so why not make the hallway follow suit?

msommers
10-21-2016, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Buster
Money does not buy class and good taste.

Absolutely.

Pretty sure this is the architect.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/01/04/article-2257209-16C051F1000005DC-920_634x822.jpg

Manhattan
10-21-2016, 02:18 PM
Meh. To each his own. Looks like they were going for a stately palace look. Probably wanted to switch it up from living in modern high rises in HK. If you have money to burn why not.

http://www.greatlittlebreaks.com/Assets/User/6207-5166-Blenheim.jpg

People need to ease off this place. They'll probably use it to throw a big party couple times a year. It's equivalent to dressing up tacky for a theme party.

HiTempguy1
10-21-2016, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by lamp_shade_2000
Is it just me or is that one hallway super narrow. I feel the hall in my townhouse is wider than that even.

Definitely super narrow, even with the perspective.

I assume its for easier avoidance of the cops when they bust the place for eventual drug charges :rofl:

88jbody
10-21-2016, 08:37 PM
that hall is probably on the wing for the staff so just enough to meet code for the pesants

BigMass
10-21-2016, 09:07 PM
I'm not a builder so serious question; if you have all the money in the world, why would you not build out of concrete instead of wood? No matter how far "wood tech" has come, how can you compare it to concrete/brick/stone that stands for hundreds/thousands of years? I mean, if I was a billionaire, and building my personal and private home, I'd be concreting everything. Thoughts?

ryder_23
10-21-2016, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by BigMass
I'm not a builder so serious question; if you have all the money in the world, why would you not build out of concrete instead of wood? No matter how far "wood tech" has come, how can you compare it to concrete/brick/stone that stands for hundreds/thousands of years? I mean, if I was a billionaire, and building my personal and private home, I'd be concreting everything. Thoughts?

Weight on the foundation? Temperature variation in Calgary?

Dunno just guesses.

HiTempguy1
10-21-2016, 10:13 PM

Honestly, this house would have been the perfect candidate to have been made with foam/concrete block. Its a building process that still isn't done regularly, but the costs aren't that much more.

Just because someone is rich doesn't mean they aren't cheap asses. Probably got sticker shock when they realized labour wasn't 50c/h like it is back home. Plus, who gives a shit, not like you can take the house with you, will be alot easier to demo in 100 years haha.

revelations
10-21-2016, 10:45 PM
My guess is cheaper and faster build time with light weight materials. The place looks like it was made out of cardboard when viewed from the road.

Kobe
10-21-2016, 11:05 PM

Foam/concrete is a thing its super expensive though, i remember when we worked construction we did a house that had it in springbank...

It might of just been the foundation now that i think about it?