PDA

View Full Version : Bike weight doesn't matter for commuters

benyl
07-09-2014, 08:39 AM
I wasted money on my Domane. I should just get my stomach stapled or get liposuction to get faster. haha

http://www.bmj.com/content/341/bmj.c6801?fb_action_ids=10204243784883154&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map={%2210204243784883154%22%3A10150306437578494}&action_type_map={%2210204243784883154%22%3A%22og.likes%22}&action_ref_map=[]

Conclusions

A 30% reduction in bicycle weight did not reduce commuting time over a distance of 27 miles (43.5 km). A new lightweight bicycle may have many attractions, but if the bicycle is used to commute, a reduction in the weight of the cyclist rather than that of the bicycle may deliver greater benefit and at reduced cost.

speedog
07-09-2014, 09:13 AM
When I cycle commuted in the past, I did it for years on a relatively light weight touring bicycle and in the last few years on a relatively heavy weight Electra cruiser - my commute times weren't significantly different on either bike. It was my fitness level and weight that were more the determining factors in my commute times.

Early in the year, it sucked because I had to get the muscles back into shape. Other than that, yeah the touring bike was a bit faster but not significantly so and time spent waiting at any traffic light pretty much took out any advantage one bike had over the other.

Each bike had it's advantages and disadvantages - one has to look at their ride/commute and determine what kind of bike is best for them. My cruiser was more of a workout because it didn't have the lower rolling resistance of my touring bike but probably less so than something with knobbier tires, but I like the simplicity of the internal hub and how much more quiet the cruiser was, sucks balls on hills though.

rage2
07-09-2014, 09:20 AM
When I was commuting, I started off with a Canadian Tire bike, probably the heaviest bike you can imagine. Going uphill was insane, but it brought my cardio level up quick.

Bought a bike half the weight, and I improved my return trip (lots of uphill) by 30%. Halved my time on the second half of the commute.

There is no way that it doesn't make a difference if you're riding up lots of hills, regardless of your physical condition.

lilmira
07-09-2014, 09:28 AM
Haha, it's much easier and cheaper to shave 5lbs off your body than off a bike.

Whatever makes you happy and gets you on a bike more is worth the money IMO, no different than owning a higher performance car when the primary usage is commuting.

You could've wasted more money on a Trek Emonda, 10lb for 16k.
:poosie:

a social dsease
07-09-2014, 09:36 AM
This info isn't anything new. Cyclists have known for years that weight really only matters going up hills. On flat terrain resistance (rolling resistance and wind resistance) are much bigger factors than weight.

By this logic the study is a little flawed; if your commute involves significant climbing, then yes, weight would matter. But if your commute is relatively flat than work on eliminating wind and rolling resistance.

My daily bike commute is close to an hour each way, so for me the most important factor is comfort. :)

bigboom
07-09-2014, 09:41 AM
I've got a 14.5 pound road bike and my commuters are somewhere between 21-27 pounds. The most I've ever been able to shave off a commute is 3-5 minutes and that's living in Cougar Ridge and working downtown.

Maybe I should put my power meter on my commuter and see if I'm sub-consciously putting out more power on my commuters because of a mental perception of needing to reach a certain speed.

msommers
07-09-2014, 09:49 AM
Agreed on the hilly sections. Either you'll have the same time and sweat less or it's gotta be quicker to some measurable degree.

Biggest thing I notice is not necessarily weight but if I use clipless or not.

D'z Nutz
07-09-2014, 09:51 AM
My last bike was supposed to be 37lbs and my new one is supposed to be 24lbs. I can definitely tell the difference when I'm going up that fucking 29th street hill every morning.

ExtremeSi
07-09-2014, 10:05 AM
Good to know. I commute on a mountain bike and I've been wondering if I could shave off some time by getting a road bike. I guess it won't make that much of a difference unless I have to deal with some big hills.

benyl
07-09-2014, 10:13 AM
You guys are looking at this all wrong and not comparing apples.

You can't compare a mountain bike to a road bike.

You have to compare a road bike to a road bike with the same tires and gearing. The only difference being the weight of the frame.

When I got the Domane in October, I shaved 2 minutes off my typical 41 minute commute. I think it was the novelty of having a new lighter bike and better fitness (end of season) and not actually the 2-3 lbs lighter bike.

speedog
07-09-2014, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by ExtremeSi
Good to know. I commute on a mountain bike and I've been wondering if I could shave off some time by getting a road bike. I guess it won't make that much of a difference unless I have to deal with some big hills.
One difference I noticed when I used to commute downtown on 2nd Street NW is that the mountain bikes were pretty much peddling all the time on the flat stuff due to the increased rolling resistance of their tires while the touring/road bike people (skinnier tires) often could coast for 1/2 to 3/4 of a block compared to the mountain bikers right beside them. Can't really comment on how my current cruiser would've compared in the same flat sections but my suspicions are that I'd be peddling close to the same amount as the mountain bikes unless I really pumped my tires up hard - even my cruiser's relatively smooth tires probably have less rolling resistance than a knobby tire.

a social dsease
07-09-2014, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by ExtremeSi

Road bike vs mountain bike will make a difference!

The study looked only at weight. There are other factors the study did not include which are much more significant in impacting commute time, two of which are rolling resistance and wind resistance. Both of these factors are greatly improved on a road bike vs a mountain bike!

DeleriousZ
07-09-2014, 10:34 AM
I noticed a HUGE difference in ease of commute when switching from a mountain bike (dirt jumper) to a road bike. The weight wasn't that significantly different, but the skinny little tires and better gearing made the commute at least half as long with 1/4 the effort.

I've seen people running skinnier road tires on their mountain bike style bikes, this might be a good alternative to owning 2 different bikes?

zipdoa
07-09-2014, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by a social dsease

Road bike vs mountain bike will make a difference!

The study looked only at weight. There are other factors the study did not include which are much more significant in impacting commute time, two of which are rolling resistance and wind resistance. Both of these factors are greatly improved on a road bike vs a mountain bike!

Not to mention a roadbike will put you in a more efficient riding position. Get some michelin Pro4's and run then at 150psi... you'll get where you need to be in no time.

phreezee
07-09-2014, 10:37 AM
It's not the bike, it's the engine. :D

msommers
07-09-2014, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
My last bike was supposed to be 37lbs and my new one is supposed to be 24lbs. I can definitely tell the difference when I'm going up that fucking 29th street hill every morning.

That the one leading up to Foothills from the Bow River bike path?

D'z Nutz
07-09-2014, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by msommers

That the one leading up to Foothills from the Bow River bike path?

Yup, that's the one.

ExtremeSi
07-09-2014, 01:15 PM
Well good to know also.... I guess there is a bigger difference between a mountain bike and a road bike. Now my only problem is that sometimes I cut through nose hill on my way home and I definitely appreciate having the mountain bike for that.

bigboom
07-10-2014, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by zipdoa

Not to mention a roadbike will put you in a more efficient riding position. Get some michelin Pro4's and run then at 150psi... you'll get where you need to be in no time.

Run your Pro4's lower they arent designed to run at 150psi. Also rolling resistance is reduced with lower pressure because you get to roll over deformities better. Try 90-100 PSI.

benyl
07-10-2014, 10:49 AM
Can a rim even take the pounding at 150 psi? My guess is spokes would die a pre-mature death at that pressure.

zipdoa
07-10-2014, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by bigboom

Run your Pro4's lower they arent designed to run at 150psi. Also rolling resistance is reduced with lower pressure because you get to roll over deformities better. Try 90-100 PSI.

They felt soft at 100psi. I'm 120kg.

phreezee
07-10-2014, 11:20 AM
I run 110psi normally to avoid pinch flats and I'm 210lbs.

Khyron
07-10-2014, 11:35 AM

You are a big dude. If you want to nerd out for not much effort, go get a bathroom scale and put it under the front wheel, lean against a wall or bench and see how much of your 120kg is on the front and back when in position.

Let's assume you're 40/60 f/b - roughly 50kg front, 70kg rear.

If you have a 23mm tire on the front, run about 115 psi. If it's a 25mm then 100.

On the rear, you're at the max of a 23mm tire. Way past 150 which no tire is rated on street and you'll be slower. Even a 25mm tire should be 140psi for a 70kg rear which is not efficient. A 28mm tire would be 115ish but that's not going to fit on a road bike.

Aero and rolling resistance are king for non-drafting speed.

bigboom
07-11-2014, 10:33 AM

All the more reason to lower your pressure. 150psi at 120kg of weight is going to pose a problem for your rims. Most of them arent designed to handle that kind of load.

sputnik
07-11-2014, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by phreezee
It's not the bike, it's the engine. :D

I would rather commute in a Honda Civic than a Caterpillar Excavator.