PDA

View Full Version : Beyond cruise - to the sun.

Graham_A_M
07-12-2014, 06:56 PM
Hey guys, on our last cruise going through highway 40 (mislabled as the cruise to canmore thread), A lot of people were asking when the next big cruise is, so I told everybody I'll organize a big group cruise this summer, and we'll do that "going to the sun highway". Down in Montana.
Here is one pic of many, of just how incredible this highway is.
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii312/Graham_A_M/Going%20to%20the%20sun/IMG_1034_zps835a6d25.jpg

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/372077/today-i-traveled-the-most-beautiful-highway-ive-ever-seen-anywhere-tons-of-pics-/

^ Basically, doing this trip again, only with a shit ton of people.
Im pretty damn good at organizing things, so I'll try to spear head this as we go along, and find something that'll work for everybody.

So, I cant make the intirary just yet... I need to know what weekend works best for the majority. For me? I need this to be as late as the third week of August or thereabouts, because past that I'll be at my farm harvesting.

So how about August 16th (saturday) to the 17th (sunday). Does that work for everybody?

I'll keep this portion of the planning short, but enough so that people can know what to expect.

We leave Saturday morning, from the home depot parking lot in Shawnessey. Heading south, we'll have lunch in Waterton park, and maybe do some sight seeing there (its like Banff, but without the hoards of tourists), before continuing south, and thus crossing the boarder. (YES YOU WILL NEED YOUR PASSPORT FOR THIS PART).
We should arrive at St. Mary's for, about 3 or 4PM I'm assuming, there abouts. We'll have supper there and have a BBQ/Fire at one of the many camp sites, you can camp if you want, or just stay in one of the many hotels there. Fairly early in the morning (7 or 8ish, or whenever we can board those open top buses) we'll leave to do the trip. You can take your car, but to enjoy the sheer beauty of it all, Id recommend parking your car and taking the bus. We'll likely be finished around noon, or there abouts, from there we can have supper there, or we'll head back up through Cardston then home.

Any questions, comments, or anythingl, please PM me or post it in this thread.

Graham_A_M
07-12-2014, 07:05 PM
Or if you guys want, we can do this route as well.
https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Calgary,+AB/St+Mary,+MT,+United+States/48.501056,-113.988085/48.547008,-113.272118/48.740659,-113.428126/@49.8583496,-113.8265995,8z/data=!4m25!4m24!1m10!1m1!1s0x537170039f843fd5:0x266d3bb1b652b63a!2m2!1d-114.0581012!2d51.0453246!3m4!1m2!1d-113.82485!2d49.108015!3s0x536f4158d4ab612f:0x80cc5604e9111a77!1m5!1m1!1s0x5368b82e593730e5:0x6a0435f0e8ece02d!2m2!1d-113.4295461!2d48.7438663!1m1!4e1!1m1!4e1!1m1!4e1!3e0?hl=en

FWIW, Bikes, cars, trucks.... anything and anybody can come, but please make sure your vehicle of choice can make the trip. Should you decide to drive the whole trip, I've seen more then a few bikes and cars broken down due to the incredible elevations. If you are planning on towing a trailer, please keep in mind, it'll have to stay at the RV site, since there are vehicle length restrictions, so only small (self propelled) RV's are allowed, no trailers of anysort on that highway, since its way too narrow and twisty to allow for both cars AND trailers to be on the highway at the same time.

StreetRacerX
07-12-2014, 09:09 PM
I'd love to go but I can't do anything other than hang out with the crew at the Shawnessy meeting point, too much to do around the house.

MGCM
07-12-2014, 10:05 PM
i say we do a secondary cruise for those who do not wish and or can't cross the boarder. That 2nd group could cruise down and join you guys for lunch and then cruise back to Calgary.

Freedom69
07-12-2014, 11:02 PM
I'd love to do this one, but it's just too many miles for me. I might come see the crew for a bit before you leave and maybe even drive for a bit south but not much further than High River or Nanton.

Plus, Illmotion's Sunday School is the 17th...

Freedom69
07-12-2014, 11:04 PM
On a side note, I've been on here for well over a year and post fairly regularly, so how the hell am I still a Newbie lol

BlueHaloGirl
07-12-2014, 11:39 PM
I'd love to partake in this, unfortunately as already mentioned Sunday Aug. 17th is the Illmotion show. I'll be busy prepping on Saturday as I'm rolling in with Fineline crew on Sunday.

never
07-12-2014, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Freedom69
On a side note, I've been on here for well over a year and post fairly regularly, so how the hell am I still a Newbie lol

I asked the mods to hold you back until you get some repeatable drag strip slips!

Freedom69
07-13-2014, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by never

I asked the mods to hold you back until you get some repeatable drag strip slips!

Damn! I knew you had something to do with it...

I do not post slips, and don't plan on it for my own reasons. ;)

Graham_A_M
07-14-2014, 04:18 PM
Okay, so which date would work for everybody, I didn't know that Illmotion thing was that weekend, whoops.

xnvy
07-14-2014, 04:32 PM
Yes, I'm afraid I can't really do a two day cruise, schedule is a bit too unpredictable for that and that's too long of a cruise for me. If you ever plan anything shorter like Drumheller/Fort Macleod/Edmonton type lengths, I'd be down.

BlueHaloGirl
07-15-2014, 09:23 AM
I'd love to do this as it's such a beautiful drive and awsome scenery down there. I just can't commit to a two day cruise this summer though, I have way to much on my plate now that I just got a horse. I had to scratch my riding itch and now have way less time than I used to!!

I'm still totally up for a one day cruise, Drumheller would be an awsome trip to make. We could do the loop and take the Bleriot ferry. So many beautiful spots/lookouts to stop and take group photos along the way too. We could cruise into Wayne and have lunch at the Last Chance Saloon at the Rosedeer Hotel. Visit the suspension bridge...it's such a beautiful area.

Graham_A_M
07-15-2014, 09:56 AM
Hmmm, all of no interest at this point, alright perhaps I'll re organize this for another time, I'll try to set something up for a one day cruise then.

Just sucks, there aren't many decent one day road trips around here, other then highway 40 which we just did. I agree Drumheller is a pretty cool place to visit, Perhaps I'll set something up to head down either there or to Waterton, as thats a super cool town to visit, just gorgeous, and its just a one day thing.

ExtraSlow
07-15-2014, 09:58 AM
Still looking for more interest in the cruise portion of the camping trip too. Maybe beyond doesn't do cruises any more?

Graham_A_M
07-15-2014, 11:17 AM
^ No we did, you missed out on the highway 40 one we did a couple weeks back, Judging by the interest in that one, I thought I'd create this one as well, since its far nicer of a trip, but alas its hard to find a time that'll work for everybody, as it seems only 1 day trips are in order.
I'll check out the camping one, and see if we can combine the two. :dunno:

never
07-15-2014, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Hmmm, all of no interest at this point, alright perhaps I'll re organize this for another time, I'll try to set something up for a one day cruise then.

Just sucks, there aren't many decent one day road trips around here, other then highway 40 which we just did. I agree Drumheller is a pretty cool place to visit, Perhaps I'll set something up to head down either there or to Waterton, as thats a super cool town to visit, just gorgeous, and its just a one day thing.

Drumheller/Wayne is good. Radium or Invermere is an okay day trip too if you spend more time on 1A.

Freedom69
07-15-2014, 03:54 PM
Radium/Invermere would be a cool cruise and it could have the option for a day cruise and a camp over night.

If people wanted to cruise back at the end of the first day I'm sure other's would as well and I'm sure some would be into camping of which there's some great camping in the area...

Freedom69
07-15-2014, 03:58 PM
Or South to the Crowsnest Pass...

Close enough for a day trip, decent camping at Lundbreck Falls for those that might want to stay over night and some pretty cool history.

Good fishing for those that might be like me, a fanatic. My family is from the Pass so I grew up spending a lot of time down there.

ExtraSlow
07-15-2014, 04:18 PM
I guess I should clarify that the "official" group camping trip date and location are set in stone. The reservation is made and paid for.
We had thought a cruise on the saturday down to the campsite would be fun, have a BBQ in the afternoon, and cruise home in the evening. So far, we have solid interest in the camping, and virtually zero in the cruise.

xnvy
07-15-2014, 04:34 PM
^I would actually be interested in that cruise. From the thread in your sig it seemed to me like a cruise down to join the campers, no mention of returning to Calgary.

That being said, let's not hijack Graham's thread :D

MGCM
07-15-2014, 06:36 PM
Writting on Stone Park? Very interesting/different place to visit.

ExtraSlow
07-15-2014, 10:59 PM
I'll stop hijacking graham's thread. PM me for details or suggestions.

Graham_A_M
07-16-2014, 08:07 AM
^ youre not hijacking the thread, I think its safe to say this whole "highway to the sun" isn't happening this year by the looks of it, so Im all about the suggestions as to where else to go.

ExtraSlow
07-16-2014, 09:51 AM
OK, if this isn't a hijack, then I'll post what I'm thinking here. Link to camping thread is in my sig, but please let's not clutter up that thread with brainstorming.

Cruise/BBQ is on Saturday August 23rd. BBQ location is the Three Rivers group camp site at Oldman Dam PRA. Beyond is hosting the BBQ at that site, so would be awesome if some cruisers could attend.

My original thoughts were that the cruisers would meet in calgary on saturday morning, cruise down, arrive around 2-3:00, BBQ till evening, then cruise home.

If you don't mind a two-day cruise, that location is a decent jumping-off point for a lot of cool options, including going-to-the-sun, fernie-radium, or just a southern alberta circuit. Mr2Mike had a suggestion for a two or three hour loop near there that he's done in the past. I'll see if he can post a route map.

Thoughts? or volunteers to take the lead and handle this? I will be camping with my family, so no cruise for me.

ExtraSlow
07-16-2014, 09:53 AM
Waterton is also easly reachable from this location as well.

Freedom69
07-16-2014, 10:03 AM
What is the road into the Three Rivers Group Camp like?

ExtraSlow
07-16-2014, 11:13 AM
Have not driven it personally, but it is pavement right up the edge of the site. Last 100m and parking area are gravel. Should be 100% AMG and lambo friendly.

MalibuStacy
07-16-2014, 12:45 PM
I have done the Going to Sun Road a couple times and it is still by far one of my favourite drive to date

Freedom69
07-16-2014, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Have not driven it personally, but it is pavement right up the edge of the site. Last 100m and parking area are gravel. Should be 100% AMG and lambo friendly.

Thanks, if my schedule works out, I might be into a cruise down there.

D__
07-16-2014, 11:17 PM
Going to the Sun road is amazing but the roads to from Caraway and Chief Mountain can be rough. In and around the reserve is rough roads. FYI.

expect maintenance they are forever fixing the road every day during the summer since the road opened. Make work project for summer students with federal funding.

Interesting note is they used that road during the Band of Brothers episode when going up to the Eagles Nest.