PDA

View Full Version : Best entry level speakers

Speed_69
07-15-2014, 02:49 PM
Looking at upgrading the stock stereo system on my vehicle. Keep in mind the speakers will be powered off of the stock head unit and not an external amplifier.

My previous vehicle, I had Alpine Type-S components in the front, Alpine Type-S coaxials in the rear and a Alpine Type-R 12" sub and was quite happy with the set up. I was going to do the same for my new vehicle but would like to consider other options for the speakers, I've read good reviews on the Infinity Reference line. I haven't boughten car audio equipment in over 5 years so I don't know what's good any more.

Any suggestions?

Crazyjoker77
07-15-2014, 04:09 PM
I've used alot of alpine speakers but did end up using some inifity refrence. 6032cf and they are quite a bit louder and clearer compared to Type S.(on factory deck) Unfortunatly they don't produce much bass at all but the mids and highs are fantastic so as long as your putting a sub in they are the easy choice.

I like the fact that they are <4ohm speakers(which are hard to find) so you get a little bump in power out of the factory deck.(which they claim is safe for all factory systems)

n1zm0
07-16-2014, 09:56 AM
I had installed all Alpine Type-Es in my summer car, the guy kept going on and on about how they're OEM for some cars in Europe like the Seat Leon or Cupra or something, but I found them to be pretty damned good for entry level stuff, on sale alot too I find.

Dertz
07-25-2014, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Speed_69
Looking at upgrading the stock stereo system on my vehicle. Keep in mind the speakers will be powered off of the stock head unit and not an external amplifier.

My previous vehicle, I had Alpine Type-S components in the front, Alpine Type-S coaxials in the rear and a Alpine Type-R 12&quot; sub and was quite happy with the set up. I was going to do the same for my new vehicle but would like to consider other options for the speakers, I've read good reviews on the Infinity Reference line. I haven't boughten car audio equipment in over 5 years so I don't know what's good any more.

Any suggestions?

Both Infinity and the Alpine Type S are mediocre speakers, even in the entry level game.
Best entry Level speakers that you can buy in the city in order of best better good.

1.FOCAL
IS165
Hand made polyglass(patent) woofers(assembly and manufactured in France) with inverted(concave, better sound hence the patent) aluminum tweeters. In line crossover. Very easy to self install, sold as DIY. Slim with multi pattern hole install.
$279.00

2.HERTZ
DSK165.3
offshore manufacturing with distinct sound. True crossover. Awesome for the price.
$199.99

3.JL AUDIO
TR650CSI
offshore manufacturing, polypropelne woofer with a canvas tweeter. Good thing is they can be bi amped for incredible levels of clarity. Great build and reliability. Fantastic set and priced exactly the same as the type s.
$165.95

If you have any further questions about any of the gear let me know! I have access to all these brands new in the box, none of it is stolen and with manufacturers warranties, at a good discounted price as well.

GTS4tw
07-25-2014, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Dertz

Both Infinity and the Alpine Type S are mediocre speakers, even in the entry level game.
Best entry Level speakers that you can buy in the city in order of best better good.

1.FOCAL
IS165
Hand made polyglass(patent) woofers(assembly and manufactured in France) with inverted(concave, better sound hence the patent) aluminum tweeters. In line crossover. Very easy to self install, sold as DIY. Slim with multi pattern hole install.
$279.00

2.HERTZ
DSK165.3
offshore manufacturing with distinct sound. True crossover. Awesome for the price.
$199.99

3.JL AUDIO
TR650CSI
offshore manufacturing, polypropelne woofer with a canvas tweeter. Good thing is they can be bi amped for incredible levels of clarity. Great build and reliability. Fantastic set and priced exactly the same as the type s.
$165.95

If you have any further questions about any of the gear let me know! I have access to all these brands new in the box, none of it is stolen and with manufacturers warranties, at a good discounted price as well.

Pfft. Good advice except it is silly to bash a brand just because you don't sell it. I doubt you are even a sponsor on here. Infinity kappa sound better than any of those and can be had for less on Amazon.

J.M.
07-25-2014, 04:24 PM
Are these going into a TSX? I find the stock system to be pretty good as it as in the TSX haha maybe just add a sub?

Dertz
07-28-2014, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by GTS4tw

Pfft. Good advice except it is silly to bash a brand just because you don't sell it. I doubt you are even a sponsor on here. Infinity kappa sound better than any of those and can be had for less on Amazon.

I do sell Alpine but it's not a brand I focus on what soever.
When comparing Type S to a JL Audio TR, TR wins out the gate based on build then sound right away.
Up until recently, Alpine had metal baskets, like JL Audio and most speaker manufacturers. They now use plastic, which from a DIY standpoint means that too much torque while installing could fracture if not break the basket, ruining the product. That is an inferior design in comparison to a competitors product at the same retail price. This shouldn't lead you to believe that the product can withstand abuse in a vehicle.

Focal's have handmade polyglass(a layer of paper between 2 layers of micro beaded glass, no coloration but great strength) woofers which are patent in design and sound as is there tweeter, the entire driver mimic's their celebrated and well regarded home audio line. Being slim and having a multi hole mounting pattern make them the easiest DIY set.

Hertz offering a polyurethane cone with dedicated crossover at their price point is great value. Regular mounting depth and 4 hole mounting pattern and the aforementioned crossover can make this set a little more difficult to install then other sets

Infinity Kappa's are OK if you pay the right price and by that I mean $80 or less for a component set. If this is the budget set forth, then the decision has been made.

Sound? That's your personal opinion based on what you have heard and how. No car audio shop sells infinity for a few reasons.
All the brands have stronger product lines and more tech behind their sound then infinity kappa or alpine and are carried by the top shops in the city.

No I am not a sponsor just an audio enthusiast offering advice for someone to make a better informed decision then a biased one limited by budget.