PDA

View Full Version : Possible upgrading to Engg degree

Chemengsait
07-25-2014, 11:17 AM
Hello Beyond,

I'm new here and I was wondering if there are any experience beyonders that have completed a engineering technologist program at sait and went back to UofC for the full 4 years for engineering. I want to take mechanical or civil at UofC though.

Some info: I just graduated from the chemical engineering technologist program at sait (19 years old) and I'm currently working a pretty good job related to my education. I just want to know if there are any beyonders here that can give me some advice and experience of what they did if you chose this path.

I also want to ask if I upgrade my high school marks at sait if I can use those marks to get into UofC first year engg. I have a pretty high GPA from sait (3.8) but I know that UofC doesn't look at engineering technology at all so that would be the reason why I would need to upgrade my highschool marks.

Thanks in advance!

cet
07-25-2014, 11:24 AM
On the Civil side at least, SAIT has a few options and agreements with a couple of different universities to upgrade to a degree. You can go out to Ontario and go to Lakehead. Or you can do a 6 month bridging program at Camosun College in Victoria and then go in to 3rd year Engineering at UBC. At one time you had the option of going in to 3rd year at the UofC as well but I'm not sure if they have changed that.

Chemengsait
07-25-2014, 11:27 AM
Since I want to do a different engineering discipline I'd rather stay in Calgary and go to the UofC.

DeleriousZ
07-25-2014, 11:33 AM
Camosen has, or used to have, an upgrading course that you could take and then jump right into 3rd year engineering. Mechanical anyway.

I got a few months into the course and said fuckit, there's absolutely no way i want to be an eng and bailed. lol

schocker
07-25-2014, 12:28 PM
I took that program but decided to start working after. Upgrade your high school grades at sait or wherever and apply to uofc with those. You could also see if they would accept any of your sait classes as I believe there are a few that might transfer as I believe that was the case previously at UofA so you could maybe skip a couple of first year classes.

Very good plan though. I did 2 years uofc engg before going to sait and the sait stuff was very similar to the intro uofc courses so you should already be well prepared for many of the classes. I have always thought of going back eventually to get my degree as I know I could probably go further peng than cet. CET programs to do chem transfer to lakehead for a 3yr program I recall but you want to do mech anyways.

Chemengsait
07-25-2014, 12:58 PM
Does anyone know if the sait high school equivalent courses can be used to get into UofC?

Disoblige
07-25-2014, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Chemengsait
Does anyone know if the sait high school equivalent courses can be used to get into UofC?
U of C would, you should just give them a call instead.

realazy
07-25-2014, 01:16 PM
I have a friend thinking of the same thing. She chose the Montana Tech route because they take 2 full years for credit from Sait.

I believe U of C only acknowledges some first year classes.

schocker
07-25-2014, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by realazy
I have a friend thinking of the same thing. She chose the Montana Tech route because they take 2 full years for credit from Sait.

That is for Petro eng tech though not chem eng, I thought about doing that and took a while to actually notice.

HiTempguy1
07-25-2014, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by realazy

University recruiters will tell you ANYTHING to get you to sign up for a degree.

Consider that you must take a minimum of 80% course load to be considered full time. So even IF some of your courses did transfer, it could seriously impact funding (scholarships, grants, and student loans) and your ability to be in the program to begin with. Plus (having taken 1st year eng), a technologist program is NOTHING like the courses/theory you have in the degree.

You will be lucky to get a years worth of credits. At that point, why even bother? You'll be seriously lacking in foundation for the later years of an engineering degree.

realazy
07-25-2014, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by schocker

That is for Petro eng tech though not chem eng, I thought about doing that and took a while to actually notice.

I stand corrected. She is a petro engg tech, wasn't aware that it only applied to petro.

mrsingh
07-25-2014, 03:15 PM
What about the Lakehead University route in Thunder Bay? Although switching disciplines may challenge that a bit. I remember in my diploma days, it was two years out there to upgrade to an accredited B.Eng degree.

Chemengsait
07-25-2014, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by mrsingh
What about the Lakehead University route in Thunder Bay? Although switching disciplines may challenge that a bit. I remember in my diploma days, it was two years out there to upgrade to an accredited B.Eng degree.

I've thought about going to lakehead to continue to a ChemE degree but I don't want to leave Calgary.

mrsingh
07-25-2014, 03:25 PM
Is not leaving Calgary worth wasting two extra years of your life? I don't know, I am getting older now and see each year as valuable.

Chemengsait
07-25-2014, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by mrsingh
Is not leaving Calgary worth wasting two extra years of your life? I don't know, I am getting older now and see each year as valuable.

That's a good point, I wish sait was like BCIT where I could've just continued my education at the same institute to pursue my bachelors lol

RickDaTuner
07-25-2014, 04:53 PM
Do your first year at SAIT, then transfer to BCIT, followed by transferring to UBC, or U of C for your 3-4 years. or just finish it out at BCIT, or UBC, they each have a 4 year degree

Sugarphreak
07-29-2014, 11:21 AM

mrsingh
07-29-2014, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Kind of an interesting way to look at it, but from another perspective... schooling can be done pretty much anywhere, so why wouldn't you take the opportunity to live somewhere else and take schooling there?

I think if I were to go back to school for an engineering degree, I'd go out to Vancouver.

My perspective is somewhat similar. He seems set on UoC to stay in Calgary, even though he would likely need to spend four more years to get a degree. That was the main point I was getting at, he would be wasting 2+ extra years of his life just to stay home, when compared to leaving Calgary and completing the degree in 2 years.

Sugarphreak
07-29-2014, 11:39 AM