PDA

View Full Version : LensRentals Canada halts all rental services...

BerserkerCatSplat
07-30-2014, 12:22 PM
... because an employee at Canada Posts's Mississauga depot keeps stealing all of their rental shipments.

http://lensrentalscanada.com/index.html

An inquiry from a renter got this response:

"We are currently halting all shipments with Canada Post as someone at the depot in Mississauga is stealing our boxes."

They're using Purolator for anything that's already been booked but it's tough to run a rental business with no lenses.

taemo
07-30-2014, 12:32 PM
oh damn, I was wondering what was going on their FB page, lots of posts going on the past couple of days.
brutal, :thumbsdow to Canada Post.

Mitsu3000gt
07-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Wouldn't insurance cover their lens costs? Even then, big primes especially can be VERY hard to come by at times.

That being said, I *think* the only thing their insurance they sell to customers doesn't cover is theft.

That sucks though, I hope they catch the guy. It would be super easy to cherry pick those boxes out based on the company name, and the bigger the box, the more valuable the contents.

Canada Post is also the ONLY courier that won't buzz my condo number so I can let them in, they default to leaving a delivery notice so I have to go pick it up at the post office.

D'z Nutz
07-30-2014, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Wouldn't insurance cover their lens costs?

It's my impression that making insurance claims with Canada Post is a huge pain in the ass which likely ends up with no results.

I even seem to recall Eklipix saying the same thing when Canada Post damaged all his calendars.

Mitsu3000gt
07-30-2014, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

It's my impression that making insurance claims with Canada Post is a huge pain in the ass which likely ends up with no results.

I even seem to recall Eklipix saying the same thing when Canada Post damaged all his calendars.

I assumed it would be through his own insurer (maybe for the business?) but I have no idea. If it is indeed with Canada Post, it is going to be a nightmare recovering multiple lens costs, and I'm sure he lost some big tele's. That really sucks, he had an awesome business going, I hope it doesn't go under.

smc
08-01-2014, 03:18 PM
Too bad I've used LensRentals Canada before and had great results.

anyone try Lens Lenders?

spikerS
08-01-2014, 03:27 PM
Could he not involve the RCMP and start a theft investigation?

BerserkerCatSplat
08-01-2014, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by spikerS

I'm sure he will, but investigations take time and it's tough to run a rental business when a big chunk of your rental stock has been stolen.

The_Penguin
08-01-2014, 06:00 PM
Canada Post are notorious for this.

We used to get big shipments of Microsoft software (Action Pack subscription)
they started shipping in LP sized boxes and labelling them "classical records"

FraserB
08-02-2014, 08:36 AM
Canada Post employees will steal anything that looks like it might be worth anything.

On another forum, there are dozens and dozens of pages of cases. Bit worse though, since it's guns being stolen. Ones that are found seem to "turn up" in a "seldom used storage room" for some reason.

BigMass
08-03-2014, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by spikerS

theft investigations with the RCMP could take 3-4 years minimum to work it's way from the bottom of a pile. That's from personal experience. By then the case is so old that it's most likely forgotten and tossed in a garbage bin somewhere