PDA

View Full Version : Watch appraisal

Asian_defender
08-20-2014, 01:33 PM
Seeing as how beyond likes watches as much as I do, I figured this is the best place to start.

Trying to get insurance for my watch collection and the insurance company is looking for appraisals on my watches. I sent them pictures of the receipts but that isn't good enough.

Can anyone recommended places in Calgary for this?
I'd like to keep this cost friendly if possible. No $200/watch kind of place

spike98
08-20-2014, 01:56 PM
I got my appraisal free from the place i bought the watch from (Calgary Jewelry). Other than that you may have to take the watch to a manufacturer authorized retailer to get a appraisal. "Big Box" retailers that i have been to didn't even know the brand of watch it was but that it was expensive simply because it was an "Auto winding".

Stealth22
08-20-2014, 03:16 PM
Gem by Carati is the go-to place for watches on Beyond. Justin (justing is his Beyond username I think) is a good guy to deal with. He made buying my watch painless.

You could ask him if he does appraisals, or at least knows someone who does.

statick
08-21-2014, 06:16 PM
What spike98 said, if you bought it new from an AD. They should be able to produce a replacement value certificate without any fee.

If you're getting it through any other means, an appraisal may be the way to go. There's a chap in Edmonton I've seen once or twice, he charges $60/piece. If you call an AD that sells the make of watch you have, you can see if they can help, which I've found is the case, provided they have a competent watchmaker on site.