PDA

View Full Version : Question about Cobb Accessport...

Tik-Tok
08-27-2014, 09:34 AM
So the Saabaru I bought awhile back in Vancouver had an open source, custom 94 octane tune in it, but also came with an Accessport v2 (which was unmarried at the time).

Before I headed back to Calgary, I loaded one of the off the shelf 91 oct. maps from Cobb, so I wouldn't have to screw around trying to find 94 octane along the highway, or here in Calgary, and have left it that way.

Since I now know where the Petro 94 stations are around here, I want to go back to the open source tune.

If I unmarry the Accessport, it should re-load the original custom tune, should it not?

never
08-27-2014, 09:45 AM
You're better off getting it retuned locally. The elevation change between Vancouver and Calgary will make a difference. The Vancouver tune will be rather conservative here.

Tik-Tok
08-27-2014, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by never
You're better off getting it retuned locally. The elevation change between Vancouver and Calgary will make a difference. The Vancouver tune will be rather conservative here.

Yeah, that's what I figured.

When I loaded the 91 tune over there, I REALLY felt a difference, but after loading the 94 yesterday, I can't feel any change, that's why I wanted to confirm the Accessport would have re-loaded the 94 tune, and not just a copy of the OEM one.

georgemagana
08-27-2014, 09:53 AM
Wht Never said. Also, use Husky 94 instead of Petro 94. Husky is much better against knock

GTS Jeff
08-27-2014, 12:18 PM
The AP won't save custom opensource tunes, and if a non-OEM tune is detected, it will just load a generic OEM tune from its own storage when unmarrying. The custom tune is gonzo. Going forward, get the custom tune loaded on the AP, so you can switch it on and off without losing it.

But yes, Husky-Mohawk 94 seems to provide better knock resistance than PetroCan 94.

Tik-Tok
08-27-2014, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
The AP won't save custom opensource tunes, and if a non-OEM tune is detected, it will just load a generic OEM tune from its own storage when unmarrying.

Damnit.

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
But yes, Husky-Mohawk 94 seems to provide better knock resistance than PetroCan 94.

I wonder if this is still true, I've read it on numerous sites, but the information seems to be from before Petro starting putting ethanol in it's 94.

never
08-27-2014, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

I wonder if this is still true, I've read it on numerous sites, but the information seems to be from before Petro starting putting ethanol in it's 94.

I'd be curious to know if anyone has done actual back to back comparisons. I ran Petro94 in my 740+ rwhp V and no issues. Was able to run a lot of timing and wasn't seeing any KR.

GTS Jeff
08-27-2014, 01:03 PM
As of the summer of 2013, when I datalogged a 94 tune, I would get timing corrections on Petro, but silent on Husky.

JZS_147
08-30-2014, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by never

I'd be curious to know if anyone has done actual back to back comparisons. I ran Petro94 in my 740+ rwhp V and no issues. Was able to run a lot of timing and wasn't seeing any KR.

I see lower knock counts on Shell 91 than Petro 94, and can run more timing. Petro 94 is terrible.

Husky 94 is my first choice, Shell 91 is my second.