PDA

View Full Version : PHYS 259 and 369 advise

Aspen38
08-27-2014, 12:14 PM
Hello everyone!!

Am new here, just checking if anyone out there has any experience with Phys 259 from UoC, am a professional Oil and Gas ( Drilling Engineering) upgrading my diploma to Petroleum engineering, Apega assessed my application and decided to assign me few courses, total of 10, am starting with 2 or 3 at the moment, that is PHYS 259 and PHYS 369, and ENGG 369 ( probability and statistics for engineerrs), PHYS 259 is pretty aggressive and is keeping me busy, these tests are in first week of Dec, am basically self studying this now using UoC PHYS 259 course material, one question is what's the best way to prepare for the test? I'm thinking to go through 2 past exams once am through with the course slides!!! Any advise from past students are welcomed. I haven't even looked at the PHYS 369 and the statistic and probability course yet, too busy with PHYS 259, how worried should I be? Is it a pretty ok module to study??? Thanks all for any advise....cheers...
PS: I spoke with a guy teaching at SAIT who seems familiar with these PHYS courses and I might use some tutoring (one on one) to speed up the process...

Mogg
08-27-2014, 12:32 PM
I just finished 259 last winter semester and the best advice i can give is do as many old tests as possible. There was many recylced multiple choice questions and simlar long answer questions on both our midterm and final. Additionally make sure you can do all examples that were presented in both the lecture notes and the text book. If you can do those and understand them, instead of just memorzing them ,it should be smooth sailing for ya.

Chemengsait
08-27-2014, 12:43 PM
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your diploma that'll let you upgrade to your petroleum engineer?

colinxx235
08-27-2014, 01:27 PM
Phys 259 was definitely one of the hardest first year courses. Just make sure you do several old midterms/finals and all the assignments/lecture stuff.

PHYS 369 isn't as difficult as 259 (or maybe that was just comparing it to some of the other second year courses). Pretty much the same strategy to success for all Engg courses, amass old tests, go over and over to learn the material.

ENGG 319 (unless stats/prob is now 369? or 317 before, can't remember exactly) the stats portion is your typical easy stats. The probably portion slaughtered many engineers, takes a bit more time knowing your stuff/equations etc

But yah, between reviewing old materials and if you get a tutor should help a lot

realazy
08-27-2014, 02:38 PM
Phys 259 was brutal... lowest grade in my degree. C-. I think I ended up with 17% on my midterm, the class average was around 40%?

Phys 369 I thought was much more managable. Study the past exams and you should be fine.

Engg 319, the probability part caught a lot of people including me, ended up with a C on probability and an A in stats so I got out with a B. The stats part is super straight forward, it was open book too if I remember correctly.

mazdavirgin
08-27-2014, 10:14 PM
Class average for the 369 final the year I went through was 39%. Then again that was the year the program was being accredited. :dunno: 259 had a significantly easier final...

Aspen38
09-04-2014, 07:32 AM
Thanks fellows, lots good information.
That's exactly what am doing, the course slides for 259, past exams..etc,. I have no course materials for 369 yet..

Aspen38
09-04-2014, 09:23 AM
Anyone with Phys 369 course material? please let me know i'm willing to buy, cheers

dirtsniffer
09-04-2014, 10:48 AM
the only thing you want are lab roadmaps. damn things are a PITA.

Most people pass them on and most people here have graduated so this might be the wrong place to look.

Aspen38
09-05-2014, 01:07 PM
Would the course Phys369 ppt be available in UoC, same for past exams and mid terms?? For a none student??