PDA

View Full Version : BRZ/FR-S TRD Supercharger?

Skrilla
09-08-2014, 06:21 AM
Does TRD make a supercharger kit for the FR-S? I was under the impression they did not, a friend of mine was asking what kits are available and of the couple dealers I spoke to, one said he thinks but wouldn't check, and the other said he didn't think so :dunno:

Sugarphreak
09-08-2014, 06:28 AM

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-08-2014, 07:22 AM
Nothing I've seen. HKS, Vortech, Innovate, Kraftwerks all make supercharger kits for the FRS/BRZ though.

pheoxs
09-08-2014, 07:28 AM
Trd makes one but intended for professional race use rather than consumer, it is like 25k and that's not any tuning. They currently don't have a kit you'd buy.

After my shitty experience with the vortech frs kit id recommend not going with them. If I did it over again is look at avo's turbo kit.

mr2mike
09-08-2014, 07:36 AM
Guessing the s/c kit made the car unreliable or maybe Toyota didn't want this part to be included under their warranty.

They also used to have some TRD brakes not sure if they actually made them for the public. They were something like $80K for the set.
Pics here:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3266

Skyline_Addict
09-08-2014, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Guessing the s/c kit made the car unreliable or maybe Toyota didn't want this part to be included under their warranty.

They also used to have some TRD brakes not sure if they actually made them for the public. They were something like $80K for the set.
Pics here:

I have the KW supercharger kit with C30 rotrex unit. 8,000 km of driving without a hitch. Car pulls great with linear power.

Skrilla
09-08-2014, 09:40 AM
Thanks for clearing that up, I will let him know!

M.alex
09-09-2014, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike

Pics here:

Link to $80,000 brakes please ... I can't find 1 reference to it.

Sugarphreak
09-09-2014, 12:39 PM

pheoxs
09-09-2014, 12:47 PM
After having been down that road I suggest you buy a more powerful car. You could pick up a genesis, do bolt ons, up the boost, and have way more reliable power for cheaper.

Boosting an NA engine is such a money pit and headache it's not worth it. Without doing internals you're never going to get much past 300whp without e85 or race fuel anyways due to 12.5:1 compression. So you're looking at 10k$ by the end of it for 100hp

J.M.
09-09-2014, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by pheoxs
After having been down that road I suggest you buy a more powerful car. You could pick up a genesis, do bolt ons, up the boost, and have way more reliable power for cheaper.

Boosting an NA engine is such a money pit and headache it's not worth it. Without doing internals you're never going to get much past 300whp without e85 or race fuel anyways due to 12.5:1 compression. So you're looking at 10k$ by the end of it for 100hp

might as well build a d series civic with a gt30r lol

Mibz
09-09-2014, 01:58 PM
If you're buying an FRS to go fast then you're making a mistake. Full stop.

Skyline_Addict
09-11-2014, 11:19 AM

Boosting an NA engine is almost always a money pit, but you're exagerrating on $10K for +100whp. +100whp is easily attainable by most of the entry level FI kits (supercharger and turbo). These are kits that cost around $5,000 landed, with EcuTek license and a base tune using octane 91.

Maybe the road you've taken and what you're including in the $10K figure is quite different? I can definitely see $10K costs if you factor in things like upgrading suspension and wheels/tires to adequately match the relative power increase - which yes, you should be doing. But those things also provide a significant upgrade to non-FI applications too, so it's not a total sink.

It looks like for the BRZ/FR-S, you only need to consider significant internal upgrades if you want to break 300 whp and maintain some relative reliability. The out of box entry level FI kits are very much plug and play and need nothing else if you are content with the power (maybe an oil cooler if you track).

But ya, as Mibz say, don't buy a twin if you want a powerful car out of the box. I think it is a great platform for FI though, the chassis is excellent. If you want a dyno queen, look elsewhere.

Sugarphreak
09-12-2014, 07:21 AM

D88
09-12-2014, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

^^ This

I know so many people who have boosted an NA engine, and they all starting having lingering or reoccuring issues with the car that never could be fully resolved. I'd say that 75% end up selling it within a year or two because they just get sick of dealing with it, another 15% or so have had them sitting in the garage for the past couple of years doing nothing.

The problem is that it almost always goes from being a fun to drive car that you can DD, into a car with issues and headaches and questionable reliability.

Doing bolt-ons for the BRZ/FR-S is probably the most rewarding thing

Well put. It's always a nice feeling to say you built it instead of bought and that's cool for a project car that you don't rely on and occasionally drive for fun but anything else and it's just a terrible decision. Just save a bit more and buy the car you want from the start.

pheoxs
09-13-2014, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict

Boosting an NA engine is almost always a money pit, but you're exagerrating on $10K for +100whp. +100whp is easily attainable by most of the entry level FI kits (supercharger and turbo). These are kits that cost around $5,000 landed, with EcuTek license and a base tune using octane 91.

Maybe the road you've taken and what you're including in the $10K figure is quite different? I can definitely see $10K costs if you factor in things like upgrading suspension and wheels/tires to adequately match the relative power increase - which yes, you should be doing. But those things also provide a significant upgrade to non-FI applications too, so it's not a total sink.

It looks like for the BRZ/FR-S, you only need to consider significant internal upgrades if you want to break 300 whp and maintain some relative reliability. The out of box entry level FI kits are very much plug and play and need nothing else if you are content with the power (maybe an oil cooler if you track).

But ya, as Mibz say, don't buy a twin if you want a powerful car out of the box. I think it is a great platform for FI though, the chassis is excellent. If you want a dyno queen, look elsewhere.

Not suspension and tires but all the supporting mods. There are kits for 5k yeah, but that doesn't include doing the rest of the exhaust/intake. Then these cars run hot and you've made it worse so definitely an oil cooler is needed (I think I hit 230F just in traffic) and a rad is a good idea at that point as well. To get up to 300whp you also need fuel pump and injectors. Then you should also have a wideband and a boost gauge to see if/when things aren't right.

There's lots of little things to consider on top of the: hey full blown sells their turbo kit for 5k$ and tossing it on a car. We have two turbo'd full blown frs' in alberta, both are having lots of headaches.

MGCM
09-13-2014, 10:02 AM
so what your saying is, for rwd power, Genesis>BRS(FRS) is that correct? Korean>Japanese? lol was that just admited?:eek:

relyt92
09-13-2014, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by MGCM
so what your saying is, for rwd power, Genesis>BRS(FRS) is that correct? Korean>Japanese? lol was that just admited?:eek: The Genesis will be ~300whp with a tune intake and removing the secondary cat.

mr2mike
09-16-2014, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by M.alex

Link to $80,000 brakes please ... I can't find 1 reference to it.
http://trdparts.jp/english/86_performanceline/parts.html

http://trdparts.jp/english/86_performanceline/price.html

Sorry, off a lot or they've changed the pricing and discontinued the original kit.

But converts to $8000 and is stated in 800,000 yen. So my memory is off. I looked at these parts two years ago. Seeing if you could adapt the TRD brakes to another car but for that price, then the custom adapters, not worth it.

Khyron
09-16-2014, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by MGCM
so what your saying is, for rwd power, Genesis>BRS(FRS) is that correct? Korean>Japanese? lol was that just admited?:eek:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64402414/frs-gc2.jpg

If you're buying a Genesis, why not buy a mustang GT? That's a better size/class comparison.

I love my FRS and if I crashed it tomorrow I'd just buy another one. There is nothing else like it on the market (unless maybe S3 comes with a manual option). :)

Skyline_Addict
09-16-2014, 12:10 PM

Not suspension and tires but all the supporting mods. There are kits for 5k yeah, but that doesn't include doing the rest of the exhaust/intake. Then these cars run hot and you've made it worse so definitely an oil cooler is needed (I think I hit 230F just in traffic) and a rad is a good idea at that point as well. To get up to 300whp you also need fuel pump and injectors. Then you should also have a wideband and a boost gauge to see if/when things aren't right.

There's lots of little things to consider on top of the: hey full blown sells their turbo kit for 5k$ and tossing it on a car. We have two turbo'd full blown frs' in alberta, both are having lots of headaches.

Yep I agree with what you said in the big picture.

There is also the individual application you have to consider as well. The reason I went for Kraftweks (and considered JRSC and Vortech) is because I wanted an industry-known high quality and historically reliable product. It gave me exactly what I wanted power-wise out of the box (minus an oil cooler).

I stayed away from turbos because I didn't feel the reliability was there and didn't need that much power, so it has worked out great for me. 9,000 km and counting, not an issue ever and I am fully stock internals.