PDA

View Full Version : Homesickness

Vmack
09-12-2014, 02:32 PM
Moved away for a year of grad school, first time being in a different city. First few days were tough, last week and a half was ok, but really missing home and the family today. I've been making friends and studying a lot, but it just doesn't feel like home. I'm in a smaller college town, about 20 hours drive away from home, and it would cost almost 800$ to fly home unless I drive to a major city (toronto) about 4 hours away.

I'm not gonna fly home unless its a long weekend (next ones a month away for me), but any of you guys think its a good idea to drive down to toronto for a weekend and visit some relatives? I would have seen them this summer, but other than that not for a long time. They'd be okay with it, just not sure if thats counter productive to being homesick.

I'm unfortunately not at an Albertan school, cause if I was I would have fam near by

shakalaka
09-12-2014, 02:49 PM
I would just keep myself busy with school and friends (girls). I lived away for 4 years of schooling and that was an entirely different country. And even now I work away from Calgary and my family is there. Of course you miss them and that's understandable. You just need to find things to keep yourself busy so you're not sitting and thinking about home.

Frequent conversations on the phone and stuff also help. It was always tough for me when I used to go back to school after summer holidays and what not. But it went back to normal after a few days. I visit Calgary every few weeks and coming back on Sunday's is always tough. The longer I stay away the better I am but after visiting home the 'homesick' feeling gets renewed or something.

dirtsniffer
09-12-2014, 02:49 PM
If you don't want to fly I would try to use video/voice chat to talk to them. Aslo get some exersize to make yourself feel better

spike98
09-12-2014, 02:51 PM
You've been gone for not even a month. IMO focus on school work and bang college girls on the side. These are the prime times of your life and you are there for a reason.

Also thanksgiving is around the corner then its a home stretch till christmas.

Kijho
09-12-2014, 02:56 PM
Dude just skype / facetime both are free and really great quality! Keep busy, get some hobbies for the downtime and make friends go do fun stuff, that $800 flight wouldn't be worth a 2 day weekend, IMO would just make you miss it even more because you'd never feel it is enough time to feel better.

Vmack
09-12-2014, 03:02 PM
thanks guys. I'll do my best to stay busy and focus on what I'm doing. I actually felt a lot better just typing up the post and getting that off my mind

Darkane
09-12-2014, 03:07 PM
Mandatory tough love post:

Man up son. People leave for war.

/tough guy

;)

G-ZUS
09-12-2014, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by spike98
IMO focus on banging college girls on the side. These are the prime times of your life and you are there for a reason.

:werd:

max_boost
09-12-2014, 04:18 PM
Growth happens out of your comfort zone and yes, banging hot girls is always a good remedy for whatever it is you are feeling haha

flipstah
09-12-2014, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Growth happens out of your comfort zone and yes, banging hot girls is always a good remedy for whatever it is you are feeling haha

:thumbsup:

Vmack
09-12-2014, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

lol working on it. first bar night for me is tomorrow. so gonna pull out the A game

KRyn
09-12-2014, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Vmack

lol working on it. first bar night for me is tomorrow. so gonna pull out the A game

Try pulling out your dick or wallet, I find it works better than the A game.

guessboi
09-12-2014, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by spike98
IMO focus on school work and bang college girls on the side. These are the prime times of your life and you are there for a reason.

So bang on. :thumbsup:
Study hard, play hard.

trieu
09-13-2014, 06:25 PM
Been living away from home for 2+ years now, you'll get over it after the first month or so. Once you make friends it'll be fine. When I come home to visit it sucks to leave but I enjoy being back into my routine when I'm back here.

botox
09-13-2014, 10:26 PM
Driving to 4hr to TO on a long weekend to visit some family is not worth it IMO, unless there's good reason for it. Save money and wait for the longer breaks (spring, xmas, summer) so you can actually spend some quality time with them instead of rushing there and rushing back.

Dumbass17
09-15-2014, 08:30 AM
Man up

jwslam
09-15-2014, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by botox
Driving to 4hr to TO on a long weekend to visit some family is not worth it IMO, unless there's good reason for it. Save money and wait for the longer breaks (spring, xmas, summer) so you can actually spend some quality time with them instead of rushing there and rushing back.
People day trip to Edmonton all the time. It's not THAT much longer :dunno:

l/l/rX
09-15-2014, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
Man up

+1 it's only been 2 ish weeks...

botox
09-15-2014, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

People day trip to Edmonton all the time. It's not THAT much longer :dunno:
Yeah it's not bad. I've been doing day trips with as much as 5hr drives one way. But this is for work and I wouldn't be doing it to visit family. Maybe I just don't like my relatives enough to visit them that often. I just think it's not something you want to do every month, unless there's a GF or BF there you're getting a monthly booty call from :poosie:

blitz
09-15-2014, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX

+1 it's only been 2 ish weeks...

And this is grad school, so he's got to be 22+

Deal with it.

l/l/rX
09-15-2014, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by blitz

And this is grad school, so he's got to be 22+

Deal with it.

Haha I'm actually surprised how supportive the replies have been because it is Beyond after all.

OP I take it you've never really been travelling before?

sexualbanana
09-15-2014, 03:22 PM
I remember the last time I was homesick.... I was 10 at basketball camp.

Facetime/Skype all that shit is awesome, just don't make that a priority during your non-school hours. Being away from home is going to be a huge asset for you as you get older and disconnect from your usual bubble back home. I envy a lot of my friends who went to big Div 1 schools in the US because their student life sounded WAAAAAAY more fun than mine. Not just because they're schools are better but because they met more people and developed deeper connections to their school as a result.

Vmack
09-15-2014, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX

Haha I'm actually surprised how supportive the replies have been because it is Beyond after all.

OP I take it you've never really been travelling before?
yeah I was surprised I didn't get beaked more.

I'm doing better now. I haven't travelled long term. Just to Cuba and Mexico with friends.

I'm getting more enveloped in school now anyways, so I'm doing alot better

gatorade
09-15-2014, 04:14 PM
Grad school is far different than undergrad, you pretty much have no life and are studying 24/7. Your first semester will be shit, but after that you'll be fine.

GTS Jeff
04-01-2015, 08:29 PM
Anyone I've ever met who, "couldn't hack it," when they left their hometowns and went back are filled with regret for the rest of their lives.

ExtraSlow
04-02-2015, 06:44 AM
Jeff, Bro, are you okay? I don't mind the necro-bump, but not for that . . . :confused:

GTS Jeff
04-05-2015, 09:57 PM
I don't even...