PDA

View Full Version : Where the fuck is that squeaking coming from?

D'z Nutz
09-19-2014, 09:19 AM
So in the last few of weeks my bike has developed a bit of a squeak when I pedal and I can't figure out where it's coming from. Here's what I've found so far:

- The squeak only happens when I'm on the bike and pedaling
- If I'm on the bike and stop pedaling and let it coast along, no squeaking
- If I get off the bike and turn the pedals with my hands, no squeaking. I did that to both sides in case it was coming from the pedals and nothing.
- If I gear up to the top gears, the squeaking is twice as frequent

I found a site that suggested sometimes squeaks come from the seat post or seat post clamp and it's a good suggestion, but I've tried to minimize body shifting when pedaling to see if that's the case but no change. Plus the fact that the squeaking is twice as frequent at the top gears suggests otherwise.

I'm planning on doing a cleaning and lubing with my bike this weekend and would like fix this while I'm at it. Any suggestions?

mazdavirgin
09-19-2014, 09:39 AM
Bottom bracket would be my guess. Try pedaling standing up and see if it still squeaks. If it does my money is on the bottom bracket.

lilmira
09-19-2014, 10:46 AM
BB would be my guess too. It happened to me a couple months back. I couldn't take the crank off myself so I took it to a bike mechanic, he took them off, cleaned it out and put them back on, the noise was gone. It was just some dirt in there.

D'z Nutz
09-19-2014, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
BB would be my guess too. It happened to me a couple months back. I couldn't take the crank off myself so I took it to a bike mechanic, he took them off, cleaned it out and put them back on, the noise was gone. It was just some dirt in there.

How much did that cost and how long did it take?

HHURICANE1
09-19-2014, 01:51 PM
BB or seat/seat post. Last year on my cross bike a piece of grit got in the seat tube and made a hell of a racket. Drove me nuts as it sounded like it was coming from the BB. Serviced the BB and it still happened. Pulled the seat post, cleaned it and the seat tube, re-greased it and blessed silence.

lilmira
09-19-2014, 01:52 PM
It was at the Cancer Ride so labour is free, I just donated some money for the service. :) It wasn't very long, probably 10-15 minutes. You can confirm the source of the noise by spinning the crank with the chain off. May be try taking the crank off yourself, mine wouldn't budge and I don't have a repair stand.

Moonracer
09-19-2014, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin
Bottom bracket would be my guess. Try pedaling standing up and see if it still squeaks. If it does my money is on the bottom bracket.

This!

Do you know what type of bottom bracket you have? Square taper? If so you'll need a crank puller to get it off. Pretty much all square taper bottom brackets tend to creak after awhile. You may be able to just tighten the bolt down and eliminate some or all of the creaking for now anyways.

D'z Nutz
09-19-2014, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Moonracer

This!

Do you know what type of bottom bracket you have? Square taper? If so you'll need a crank puller to get it off. Pretty much all square taper bottom brackets tend to creak after awhile. You may be able to just tighten the bolt down and eliminate some or all of the creaking for now anyways.

Well, according to this (http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?year=2008&brand=Kona&model=Jake), I have a FSA Mega EXO.

I just found this video:
http://on.aol.ca/video/how-to-remove-or-install-a-fsa-mega-exo-system-66770204

Do I need any special tools to remove it? Can I just use lithium grease to lube it once if I can get it apart?

Thanks for your help guys!

Moonracer
09-19-2014, 04:32 PM
Ok so for this system you just need the appropriate size allen key 8mm I think or 10mm. and it comes out just like he shows in the video. However, if you are getting a creaking noise from this setup it is likely that the bearings are shot or one is at least. Check it by turning them with your fingers obviously and see if they are turning very smoothly or have any sort of play or resistance. Should be perfectly smooth if not then they may need replacing. They're not expensive but you might need to take it in to have that done.

D'z Nutz
09-19-2014, 06:50 PM
Thanks Moonracer. Any idea how much that'd cost and how long it'd take if I took it into Bow Cycle? Sounds like this might be a bit over my head for a DIY solution. And is this something I can wait out until it's winter season when I'm no longer riding (I bike daily to work) or should I take care of it ASAP before it gets worse?

I guess another option is to just get a new BB I can replace myself for the price of taking it in to get the bearings replaced....

bigboom
09-19-2014, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Thanks Moonracer. Any idea how much that'd cost and how long it'd take if I took it into Bow Cycle? Sounds like this might be a bit over my head for a DIY solution. And is this something I can wait out until it's winter season when I'm no longer riding (I bike daily to work) or should I take care of it ASAP before it gets worse?

I guess another option is to just get a new BB I can replace myself for the price of taking it in to get the bearings replaced....

With the mega-exo this is a very easy BB to service...realistically all you do is replace the BB and to do that you just need a BB removal tool. The cartridge bearing on the mega exo is not replaceable by itself.

Now the other things to check though are your chain ring bolts, especially if this is happening in your bigger gears. The reason I say that is because in different gearing especially if cross chaining you are putting extra stress on your chain ring could very easily cause a squeak if it is loose.

The other thing to check and this may seem simple is just your rear quick release...loosen it, re seat the wheel and tighten it tighter.

Moonracer
09-19-2014, 08:34 PM
Well they're not busy right now so you could get it back prolly within a few days. Cost, parts and labour around 50 - 80 bucks. BBs are cheap for hollowtech and they need a special tool to remove them.
You might get another month out of it but riding everyday it's hard to say. It's up to you if it gets really bad then ya get er done.

D'z Nutz
09-19-2014, 08:56 PM
Thanks guys! I'll check the stuff I can check and I guess if that's not it, I'll have to bring it in to get a new BB.

Any recommendations? I don't suppose I need anything fancy. I just use this bike for commuting to work.

Tik-Tok
09-19-2014, 09:21 PM
Thanks guys! I'll check the stuff I can check and I guess if that's not it, I'll have to bring it in to get a new BB.

Any recommendations? I don't suppose I need anything fancy. I just use this bike for commuting to work.

If it isn't any of that, check your balls for the source. The older you get, the lower on the seat they ride. Could just be chaffing on the side of the seat.

Moonracer
09-19-2014, 09:21 PM
Don't need anything special shimano is good bang for the buck.

D'z Nutz
09-20-2014, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
If it isn't any of that, check your balls for the source. The older you get, the lower on the seat they ride. Could just be chaffing on the side of the seat.

So I guess I'm still gonna need that lithium grease after all?

Don't need anything special shimano is good bang for the buck.

Thanks man. I've been reading up on compatibility and it looks like most Shimano BB's are a direct swap in my case with the crank I have.

B69
09-20-2014, 10:18 AM

So I guess I'm still gonna need that lithium grease after all?

Thanks man. I've been reading up on compatibility and it looks like most Shimano BB's are a direct swap in my case with the crank I have.

I have had the exact same problem and it drove my crazy. It turned out to be the seat post was too tight so there was small pieces of metal in the seat post causing it to squeak. So take your seat off and oil the entire post, hopefully it will solve your problem!

D'z Nutz
09-21-2014, 09:12 PM
Okay so I removed my seat post, wiped it and the seat clamp down, applied generous amounts of grease and put the seat back in. Took about 10 laps around the parking lot and it only got two tiny squeaks even after I tried gunning it, so I'm thinking we found the culprit. We'll know for sure tomorrow on the way to work, but I think we got it.

Thanks for the help guys!

D'z Nutz
09-22-2014, 08:52 AM
No dice. Squeak still persists, although I noticed there was a lot of squeaking at the start of my ride and it almost went completely away by the time I got to work. Might the temperature have anything to do with it? That might explain why I didn't hear anything in the parking lot last night where it's underground and heated. I'm probably grasping at straws here haha

Next step: change the BB.

B69
09-22-2014, 09:45 AM
I also found that it was when I was over tightning the seat post as well. The same thing was happening to me when I would pedal so I thought it was something around that region until i discovered the seat post.

D'z Nutz
09-22-2014, 10:12 AM
Hmm... okay I'll try loosening it. I was definitely givin' 'er on the clamp haha

bigboom
09-22-2014, 12:24 PM
did you check your quick release on the rear?

codetrap
09-22-2014, 01:05 PM
My bike was creaking a bit, turns out the gooseneck wasn't snugged up enough. I tightened her up and no more creaky creaky.

Moonracer
09-22-2014, 09:46 PM
Did you check your tire pressure man lol

D'z Nutz
09-23-2014, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by B69
I also found that it was when I was over tightning the seat post as well. The same thing was happening to me when I would pedal so I thought it was something around that region until i discovered the seat post.

Definitely not the seat post. Pedaled standing up and still squeaked.

Originally posted by bigboom
did you check your quick release on the rear?

Yup!

Did you check your tire pressure man lol

Tire pressure was topped up two weeks ago haha! Think maybe it's the plastic clip on my helmet rubbing my earphone cord? :rofl:

bigboom
09-23-2014, 11:29 AM
and its a squeaking right? not a spoke noise?

D'z Nutz
09-23-2014, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by bigboom
and its a squeaking right? not a spoke noise?

It's definitely squeaking and not spoke noise. I was stopped at an intersection and pedaled backwards and the squeaking persisted.

At this point it really looks like it's the bottom bracket, so I just ordered a Shimano one along with the tool. Everything I read suggests those FSA bottom brackets are junk anyways.

Moonracer
09-24-2014, 01:13 PM
If your bike is a 2008 and it's lasted this long that's not too bad at all.
I take it you ordered a 68mm BB? If you need any help installing it let me know.

D'z Nutz
09-27-2014, 09:49 PM
If your bike is a 2008 and it's lasted this long that's not too bad at all.
I take it you ordered a 68mm BB? If you need any help installing it let me know.

Yeah, the British size.

I just got the BB today. How much torque do you recommend? The instructions say 305-435 in/lbs (25.4-36.25 ft/lbs).

Moonracer
09-27-2014, 11:01 PM
If you don't have a torque wrench then just crank on it lol but don't put all of your might into it. Snug it up tight.

D'z Nutz
09-28-2014, 07:09 PM
Okay looks like I got rid of most of the squeaking by replacing the BB. There's still a very faint squeak but I'm probably only noticing it because I'm trying to listen for it and it's not happening nearly as frequently nor as loud. For the most part, it's gone.

Thanks for the help guys!

Moonracer
09-29-2014, 09:30 AM
:bigpimp: