PDA

View Full Version : Nordstrom

Sapo
09-19-2014, 05:47 PM
Went to newly open store first thing in the morning. Nothing special, prices on average 10-15% more than in US. This is not full line store as promised by Erik Nordstrom (President). Number of popular brands like Ermenegildo Zegna, Eton, Armani, Marcoliani, are absent.
Staff was typical Canadian retail experience. H.Rosen, Holt and O'Connors has nothing to worry about. Disappointing.

Rocket1k78
09-19-2014, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Sapo
Went to newly open store first thing in the morning. Nothing special, prices on average 10-15% more than in US. This is not full line store as promised by Erik Nordstrom (President). Number of popular brands like Ermenegildo Zegna, Eton, Armani, Marcoliani, are absent.
Staff was typical Canadian retail experience. H.Rosen, Holt and O'Connors has nothing to worry about. Disappointing.

Were in Canyada so of course were going to get hosed when a major US retailer comes across.

You went to that store on the worst day possible(way worse than boxing day i'm sure) so what did you expect other than crowds and new employees? I'm sure once the staff get to know the product and have breathing room the service will be a lot better. A friend was there and they were using the "take a number" system just to find shoes lol

ExtraSlow
09-19-2014, 07:33 PM
Anyone who expected American pricing was dreaming.

bleu
09-20-2014, 07:27 AM
I quite liked the store. I prefer smaller stores, but it is nice to see more choice coming to Canada.

BigMass
09-20-2014, 08:13 AM
I don't know why people keep bringing up prices. Target didn't fail because of prices. Nordstrom won't fail because of prices. Canadians are used to paying more. Our tax system, our dollar, our distribution and sparse population etc. It's not a big deal. Especially on clothes i'll pay more because it's one item I like to try on and feel first hand when I buy. When you order clothes online, having to return them in Canada sucks. Not like the US where in 1 day you get your item and if you return it, it's free shipping. People in Canada have no problem paying a bit more as long as its reasonable.

The main problem is product selection. The only reason I would care about any new retailer is if they offer something locally that I cannot buy anywhere else. That's why target failed. Target in the US has some decent items you cannot buy up here. Those are the items I want, not the same items I can buy at The Bay, Sears or Walmart. Unless Nordstrom's offers items you can't get at Holt or other stores like that they will fail as well. PRODUCT SELECTION. Canadians have been hosed in this forever. One brand will have 20 pairs of pants, but in Canada we only get 2 of those and its never the ones I want. Electronics, one brand sells a 30 different laptop specs but in Canada we might only get 1 of those specs or none at all!!. Ordering online can be a hassle especially if you need to do a return. Adding exchange rate, brokerage fees and shipping, sometimes I have no problem buying something a bit more locally and being able to deal with a local store if I need to take it back. But please, offer NEW SHIT. That's the whole point of a new store! If Nordstrom's sells the same fucking underwear that The Bay sells why even open a store the? The Bay has it covered. It's meaningless.

dubhead
09-21-2014, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by BigMass
I don't know why people keep bringing up prices. Target didn't fail because of prices. Nordstrom won't fail because of prices. Canadians are used to paying more. Our tax system, our dollar, our distribution and sparse population etc. It's not a big deal. Especially on clothes i'll pay more because it's one item I like to try on and feel first hand when I buy. When you order clothes online, having to return them in Canada sucks. Not like the US where in 1 day you get your item and if you return it, it's free shipping. People in Canada have no problem paying a bit more as long as its reasonable.

The main problem is product selection. The only reason I would care about any new retailer is if they offer something locally that I cannot buy anywhere else. That's why target failed. Target in the US has some decent items you cannot buy up here. Those are the items I want, not the same items I can buy at The Bay, Sears or Walmart. Unless Nordstrom's offers items you can't get at Holt or other stores like that they will fail as well. PRODUCT SELECTION. Canadians have been hosed in this forever. One brand will have 20 pairs of pants, but in Canada we only get 2 of those and its never the ones I want. Electronics, one brand sells a 30 different laptop specs but in Canada we might only get 1 of those specs or none at all!!. Ordering online can be a hassle especially if you need to do a return. Adding exchange rate, brokerage fees and shipping, sometimes I have no problem buying something a bit more locally and being able to deal with a local store if I need to take it back. But please, offer NEW SHIT. That's the whole point of a new store! If Nordstrom's sells the same fucking underwear that The Bay sells why even open a store the? The Bay has it covered. It's meaningless.

:werd:

icky2unk
09-21-2014, 04:14 PM

Agreed but I'd say they could succeed if they are able to keep stock on items that are hard to find (sold out) at other locations. I'd give that a benefit. Doesn't necessarily have to have tons of different stuff but if they can keep inventory on hand of popular items that's always a +

max_boost
09-21-2014, 04:29 PM

The main problem is product selection. The only reason I would care about any new retailer is if they offer something locally that I cannot buy anywhere else. That's why target failed. Target in the US has some decent items you cannot buy up here. Those are the items I want, not the same items I can buy at The Bay, Sears or Walmart. Unless Nordstrom's offers items you can't get at Holt or other stores like that they will fail as well. PRODUCT SELECTION. Canadians have been hosed in this forever. One brand will have 20 pairs of pants, but in Canada we only get 2 of those and its never the ones I want. Electronics, one brand sells a 30 different laptop specs but in Canada we might only get 1 of those specs or none at all!!. Ordering online can be a hassle especially if you need to do a return. Adding exchange rate, brokerage fees and shipping, sometimes I have no problem buying something a bit more locally and being able to deal with a local store if I need to take it back. But please, offer NEW SHIT. That's the whole point of a new store! If Nordstrom's sells the same fucking underwear that The Bay sells why even open a store the? The Bay has it covered. It's meaningless. I like your posts. :werd: :thumbsup:

austic
09-21-2014, 04:56 PM
I found the mens section small compared to the US Nordstrom stores.

Disoblige
09-22-2014, 05:08 AM
Checked it out. Men's selection is absolutely terrible.

K3RMiTdot
09-22-2014, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige

quick_scar
09-22-2014, 08:23 AM
I was going to hit the store tonight to see what they had for dress shirts. With the reviews above, I am hoping I'm not going to walk away empty handed.

I am hoping that with it being a work day they will have staff on hand to restock and clean up after the chaos that was this weekend and that there will be a fair bit to look at by the time I get there.

BokCh0y
09-22-2014, 09:31 AM

+1000000

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

suntan
09-22-2014, 10:56 AM
Target has no inventory system for its Canadian stores. Astounding really. They were simply guessing as to what they needed.

flipstah
09-23-2014, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Lame.

SilverKast
09-23-2014, 01:16 PM
Agree with the above posts. I usually like hitting up Nordstrom's when I'm in Seattle or any other major US city, and I've found lots of nice items.

The mens section in Chinook definitely is a lot smaller, with nowhere near the selection I've found in the US stores I've been to. Price was as expected - a little high. I'll probably stick to either online ordering or just limit my visits to my US trips.

Also agree +100 with the notion that we want items that aren't found at the other chains, not just one or two selections out of a large product line from a particular brand.

artieg30
09-30-2014, 12:52 PM
I also agree that the Nordstrom in Seattle has much more selection than the one in Chinook, though one thing to keep in mind is that the Seattle Nordstrom is a flagship store meaning they'll have much more to choose from.

That being said I went to Nordstrom two weekends ago to find a belt for work and I can say MOST of the sales staff there were the typical type that you would see at H. Rosen or Holt. I was ignored as I walked through the men's department up until a sales person - Valeska promptly greeted me and asked if I needed help with anything. I asked her where the belts were and she took me there and showed me various belts and gave me a little bit of product info about each brand.

Valeska was very straight forward and gave me no B/S, she was very knowledgeable about the Nordstrom brand and showed me another belt (Nordstrom brand) which was similar to the Hugo Boss one I was interested in but much cheaper. She also wasn't pushy, very patient as I had a hard time decided which belt to go with (I ended up buying the two).

She also went above and beyond to find me a similar pair of pants that I have at home so that I could get an idea of how the belt looks. Overall she was very professional and need I stress again NOT pushy with the sale. In fact I ended up going back this weekend and bought a few pairs of trousers from her (they were the ones I tried on last week) as they felt so good! The name of the trousers are Pal Zileri, very high end (Italian) and well worth the money.

I'm no promoter or anything but I think we often rant about shitty customer experiences so I figured to take some time to at least write about a positive experience I had. To sum it up if you need menswear stuff from Nordstrom I would for sure recommend going to see Valeska first.