PDA

View Full Version : ALL weather tires (not all season), did anyone try them?

osspasha
09-24-2014, 10:26 AM
so Kal tire is advertising all weather tires as a good replacement to winter tires. i was wondering if anyone tried them.

the only two brands available are Nokian (kal tire exclusive) and Hankook Optimo 4S (canadian tire exclusive).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/commuting/are-all-weather-tires-a-good-compromise/article16190526/

quick_scar
09-24-2014, 10:50 AM
I have a set of all weather Nokian's on the pathfinder and will never go back. Night and day vs. the all seasons I used to run. I was shocked. I don't drive it much in the summer, mostly in winter, but I wanted something I was not killing to bad by running in the summer. All in all it was exactly what I needed and I am super happy with them.

CLiVE
09-24-2014, 11:13 AM
I had a set of the Nokians on my Ridgeline.

- Decent in winter, but still a compromise. Would not trust them as much as winters on the worst days, or hwy driving.
- Better than all seasons, but closer to a winter tire than a summer.
- Tread wear wasn't great. Got 2 yrs out of them ~50,000kms.
- Pricey.

I'm back to dedicated winter (Blizzak DMV), and all-terrain tires (BFG RT) for summer.

Axe
09-24-2014, 11:27 AM
We had Nokian WR G2's on our highlander for 3 years. They are a little noisier in summer than all seasons and the tread wears fast (ish); had to replace them after 3 full years of driving on them.

Never had any issues with snow/ice in the winter. Mostly city driving with some highway (Edmonton and Banff area)

Would definitely recommend

DeleriousZ
09-24-2014, 11:29 AM
I have the all-weather tires on my gli (still has the winter flake on the side of the tire) not sure what brand they are. They work just fine in the winter, only got stuck twice, but both times was because I got the subframe hung up on hard snowpack lol.

bspot
09-24-2014, 11:51 AM
The Nokian All Weather tires are a Kal exclusive because they just take winter tires Nokian is already manufacturing and rebrand them as "All Weather".

They are just winter tires with a good tread wear rating.

n1zm0
09-24-2014, 12:32 PM
Just texted my neighbor who works for Kal Tire, exact words:

Me: What are these 'all weather' tires you guys sell, are they actually all-seasons or what?

They are better than all seasons. They act like a winter tire in the winter. But nothing is better than an actual winter tire in winter. These tires are meant for people who don't buy winter tires but want an extra edge for that season. They really do work in winter though.

lamp_shade_2000
09-24-2014, 12:38 PM
I run Nokian Rotiiva Tires on my grand Cherokee and my GF's Grand cherokee and we both absolutely love them! I went from Good Year Wrangler all seasons to these last year and it was night and day. Before I could power slide with ease, installed the nokians and I can barely break loose on packed snow and most ice conditions. Stopping is far better as well. AS for summer use, I didn't notice a difference, they may wear faster but I only drive 10-15k a year so I wasn't too concerned. Next set of tires I buy will be Nokians for sure.

nobb
09-24-2014, 01:31 PM
On a truck, how would these compare to an aggressive AT/MT tire for winter use? For example, a set of Duratracs?

natty54
09-24-2014, 02:19 PM
Continental has the DWS

osspasha
09-24-2014, 02:19 PM
Thanks everyone for your great reviews and feeback.

one last question, did you guys notice if they are really loud in the summer/spring time?

pheoxs
09-24-2014, 02:50 PM
I would still suggest just get some cheap steel wheels and buy a set of proper winter tires. You're using each set for 6 months a year so they'll last twice as long anyways

Even if they're better than an all season, they'll still never be as good as a proper winter tire.

R-Audi
09-24-2014, 04:13 PM
I have the AW Nokians on my Wifes Santa Fe and they dont seem loud at all... tread pattern is very similar to a winter tire with the sipes, the rubber compound just seems a little more firm.

relyt92
09-24-2014, 06:53 PM
I had a set of Nokian WR2 or something a few winters ago. Was amazing how good they were because I had only ever run all seasons before. The winter later on another car I got my first set of actual winters and was amazed at how good they were compared to the Nokians.

ExtraSlow
09-25-2014, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by nobb
On a truck, how would these compare to an aggressive AT/MT tire for winter use? For example, a set of Duratracs?
I'm going to guess that the rubber is softer than on the duratracs, so you'll see shorter tire life, but probably better ice performance.
Also not sure if you can get these in heavier Load ratings. the Duratracs are for sure availible in LRE.

duaner
09-25-2014, 08:05 AM
I have run the WR+, WRG2, and now the WRG3, and there has never been a problem with noise. The WR+ were the best (symmetric; tracked much straighter in winter conditions), but as has been said, they are a compromise in both summer and winter. I simply have had no place to store an extra set of tires, so it has worked well for me. The one nice thing is that you truly can "Forget the Forecast". Someday I will get a summer and winter set but for now these do the trick.

CLiVE
09-25-2014, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by nobb

Softer compound - less aggressive 'blocky' tread, and quieter.
Better on ice, not as good in snow from my experience.

avishal26
09-25-2014, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by pheoxs
I would still suggest just get some cheap steel wheels and buy a set of proper winter tires. You're using each set for 6 months a year so they'll last twice as long anyways

Even if they're better than an all season, they'll still never be as good as a proper winter tire.

I agree.. especially if these 'all-weather' tires will only last about 50k or so. It would cost less to have two sets that will each last about 50k kms.

I know this tire will fill a void in the marketplace and will sell well , but nothing is better than a winter tire in the winter.

:winter: