PDA

View Full Version : Transferring to U of C...worth it?

kdizzles
10-01-2014, 12:37 AM
Hello Beyonders,

I have creeped this forum for very long time and I guess I there seems to be some very educated people here. I am a SAIT transfer going to U of L in the Bachelor of Management program right now and I have inquired about transferring to Haskayne.

The problem is, my SAIT diploma is only recognized for 1 year and the courses I am doing at U of L are mostly non-transferable. After all is said and done, I would go right into beginning of year 2 roughly.

My question is, I'm way ahead at U of L (by finishing this semester, I'll be in my 4th year). Is it a no brainer to just finish at U of L?

I wanted to go to Haskayne to get the name and recognition behind me but it is really 2+ years of time + money and I have to ask myself, is it worth it?

BTW, I am doing finance and really have pretty low interest in it, plan on switching to general, regardless which path I choose.

Any advice?

muffzz
10-01-2014, 12:50 AM
I was in the same boat as you. I transferred from SAIT to the U of L post diploma Bachelor of Management program. If you plan to switch to General Management (you can still take finance, marketing, accounting courses etc..), you would be better off transferring to U of L. This way you would save your time+money in having to repeat any courses at the U of C that you have previously taken at SAIT or elsewhere.

That being said, I was also doing Finance at SAIT and at U of L but being at U of L allows you to take other non-Finance related courses (International management, supply chain etc..) that are apart of the Bachelor of Management program while taking Finance courses or whatever program you major in at the same time.

As a recent graduate, I am very happy with my decision of having completed my Bachelors Degree at the U of L Calgary Campus. The classes are small (25-30 students) and you get to know everyone as well as your teachers and advisors. You can always do CO-OP here as well which will help you with your job search as well and take part in Finance/Accounting clubs etc.

Hope this helps!

kdizzles
10-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Hello Muffzz, I appreciate your timely response.

As of right now, I am continuing my U of L degree and yes, going into general is great because I get to choose the classes I like.

Are you working currently in the O&G industry?

Also, I want to ask Beyonders that have since graduated the business program from either Haskayne or U of L, have you noticed a big difference in the quality of jobs and promotions, due to your degree recognition?

Does anybody with a U of L degree work outside of Alberta and have had success?

Maybe I am concerned that U of L is not up to standards in the business world, maybe skills and experience should top that. I guess if I had studied harder in high school I wouldn't be in this predicament......oh well.

Please, more responses and insight would be appreciated. And thanks again muffz for you input.

D88
10-01-2014, 02:53 PM
I would be very surprised if your degree held you back beyond getting your first career job relevant to what you studied. After that, it's really about work experience. Though I understand getting the first job can be one of the hardest due to that lack of experience so that will be the only time that perhaps where you got your degree will matter.

BavarianBeast
10-01-2014, 02:55 PM
U of L or Haskayne.. Same shit, different pile.

Nobody is going to give a shit where you got your business degree from unless you got it at IMD or something.

leftwing
10-01-2014, 03:09 PM
I think you are putting way to much thought into which school will get you better job prospects upon graduation. Bottom line is that either way you will finish with a bachelor's degree. Taking an extra 2 years just to have U of C's name on your parchment would be a huge regret, I bet. U of C is not even a prestigious school. One thing I have learned since graduation is that experience trumps all. Once you have a bit of experience under your belt, where you got your degree from will be a non factor.

One thing you should figure out is what type of job you want upon graduation.

For what its worth, out of my group of friends, arguably the most successful one is a U of L grad who is a CA now.

BrknFngrs
10-01-2014, 03:46 PM
I'd recommend just finishing up at UofL as well (And I went to UofC)

A few years worth of time would be better spent on a professional designation in your desired field as opposed to moving to UofC imo.

nykz
10-01-2014, 03:46 PM
Don't buy into the "If you didn't graduate from Haskayne, you're not getting a job" hype. Unless you went to Harvard, UofC, UofL, Mount Royal etc. are all the same...

A business degree is a business degree, your chances of getting an entry level job after graduation is the same as a UofC student. Stay at UofL and work towards getting into a Internship/Co-op program, this will significantly increase your chances of getting a job after graduation.

After you get some work experience, your undergraduate will no longer matter, where as professional designations will.

Stephen81
10-01-2014, 05:08 PM
Me

1) SAIT - Check
2) UofL Calgary B.Mgt, Finance - Check
3) Coop program - Check
4) Work in O&G - Check
5) Nobody gave a shit where I went to school - Check
6) Nothing from school remotely relates to work - Check

I'm not taking a dump on general Mgmt degree but would recommend you major in Acct or Fin as despite point #5 above you'll be further ahead if you want to pursue a designation post-grad. Follow these steps OP and stay gold ponyboy.

kdizzles
10-01-2014, 11:17 PM
Wow all! Thanks for the replies, I didn't expect so many responses. this is all great...thank you thank you...

I guess the majority vote here would be to finish the degree at U of L, and spend the 2+ years to get job experience and gain further education (designation, etc.)

Okay, that is respectable because maybe I am just putting the name of Haskayne too high on the pedestal, fair enough.

Now question for you guys and especially Stephen81, why would switching into general be a mistake? If I'm certain I won't work in banking, then why study finance? At least with general, I can pick interesting courses and still get credit towards my degree. As far as what I want to do past school, not sure yet..

But thank you everybody for the great responses, I really appreciate it. I think this will help other students as well if they are facing a similar situation. Cheers all!

Stephen81
10-02-2014, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by kdizzles

Now question for you guys and especially Stephen81, why would switching into general be a mistake? If I'm certain I won't work in banking, then why study finance? At least with general, I can pick interesting courses and still get credit towards my degree. As far as what I want to do past school, not sure yet..

You answered your own question. Majoring in Accounting or Finance will definitely NOT close any doors and may open some. I can appreciate that switching to general opens up some space for "interesting" courses but you're basically in this for the degree. I did Finance and still had room to choose some interest driven courses. IMO (nobody get their panties bunched) general business looks like someone either didn't want to pick a direction or didn't think they were smart enough to. But in reality you're very capable of picking a major and making it through so you might as well.

*DISCLAIMER* The UofL B.Mgmt parchment doesn't say your major. Your transcripts will, though.*

muffzz
10-02-2014, 12:46 PM
Yeah I agree with Stephen that picking either major will open up doors for you. You could always do General Management and say take 2-3 Finance or Accounting courses along with other courses that interest you. This way you could say you graduated with a Bachelor of Management Degree with a strong concentration in Finance or Accounting. That's exactly what I did, I took a bunch of Finance courses while taking other courses that interested me (Marketing, International Management, Qualitative and Quantitative Operations etc..)

At the end of the day when you graduate it will only say "Bachelor of Management" with distinctive honors or not.

leftwing
10-02-2014, 03:17 PM
One downside of not choosing a major is:

If you apply to finance jobs, they will likely take finance grads
If you apply to HR jobs, they will likely take HR grads
If you apply to accounting jobs, they will likely take accounting grads
...you get the idea.

To me a General Mgmt degree says you are decent at a lot of things but not great at anything (subject-wise), which could be a benefit or hinder you depending on the type of job you are applying to.

kdizzles
10-02-2014, 08:46 PM
This is an interesting argument guys...so what you are telling me is that if I stick with finance, I can still take on other jobs as well as finance specific jobs, if I choose to.

However, if I pick general management, then my scope is only open to more general jobs, am I right?

Although I like some finance stuff, a lot of it really bores me. Especially the math and econ classes, I really don't gain much insight and rather just crunch the formulas and get the answers. A lot of the times I don't get the theory behind it, which makes me question my interest in numbers.

But I hear both sides and can appreciate what you guys are saying. Would any more people like to add to this?

nykz
10-02-2014, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by kdizzles
This is an interesting argument guys...so what you are telling me is that if I stick with finance, I can still take on other jobs as well as finance specific jobs, if I choose to.

However, if I pick general management, then my scope is only open to more general jobs, am I right?

:werd:

If I was an employer and a finance major and general major both applied to a entry level role, with all other variables being equal (work experience, volunteer experience, etc.), I would personally choose the finance major for an interview.

A finance major is likely harder to achieve than a general major, this to me would either mean you are more intelligent than the general major, or you have better work ethic to tough out the harder courses.

Granted all this would mean nothing once you have relevant work experience to the role your applying for or if you are specialized in a specific industry/role (designations, etc.)

Speed_69
10-03-2014, 11:52 AM
I had a Diploma from Mount Royal and transferred all of my courses to U of L. I recently graduated from there majoring in Finance too. Just because you're majoring in Finance doesn't mean you want to work in banking. When I went back to school, I knew I didn't want to do banking, I wanted to get into corporate finance and business analytical stuff which is what I"m doing now.

Trust me, you need a major. Majority of employers now looks for someone with a focus in a specific area. If you really wanted to have opportunities for any job, I would pick Accounting. Finance is pretty versatile too.

And as for having the haskayne name behind you?? That's nothing. U of L and Haskayne are pretty much on par now and looked at the same by employers.

kdizzles
10-05-2014, 02:34 AM
Thanks everybody for their help...I'm continuing with my degree at U of L and I'm sticking it out in Finance! Thanks again!

8baller8
10-09-2014, 08:08 AM
I went to both MRU and Haskayne. The truth is Haskayne is a much higher competitive atmosphere, offers better networking opportunities and you're generally around people who are motivated to succeed. MRU (which I am going to compare with U of L) was completely different, was more "fun" and a less professional atmosphere and I found the students were much less motivated.

Does that mean anything to you or anyone else? NO. That was my personal experience, however. In short, Haskayne motivated me to be more successful as the atmosphere was much more competitive. I also highly doubt high comp/status jobs in investment banking, management consulting etc. recruit from MRU or U of L. So if that's what you want to do in the future, good luck.

Speed_69
10-09-2014, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by 8baller8
I went to both MRU and Haskayne. The truth is Haskayne is a much higher competitive atmosphere, offers better networking opportunities and you're generally around people who are motivated to succeed. MRU (which I am going to compare with U of L) was completely different, was more "fun" and a less professional atmosphere and I found the students were much less motivated.

Does that mean anything to you or anyone else? NO. That was my personal experience, however. In short, Haskayne motivated me to be more successful as the atmosphere was much more competitive. I also highly doubt high comp/status jobs in investment banking, management consulting etc. recruit from MRU or U of L. So if that's what you want to do in the future, good luck.

Sorry to tell you but your assumptions are completely incorrect. The U of L campus in Calgary has many students who aren't motivated but as for the U of L campus in Lethbridge, it has some of the most motivated people I've ever met and further motivated me to succeed. There were students there that I met that came from U of C and told me it was a way better learning environment and glad they made the switch.

I also work with people right now who have kids that graduated from U of L and work in high investment banking postions. I don't see how where you went to school would affect your ability to be in these positions. If you know the right people and/or have the skills, knowledge, experience and drive, you can land one those roles.

Not here to do the whole which post-secondary institution is better debate but I hate how all these U of C students always think they're better when they've never even been to U of L.

gatorade
10-09-2014, 01:59 PM
I wouldn't argue that UofC is a better University, but generally speaking it is harder to get into than UofL. Quite a few of the people I know that went to UofL over UofC did so because their grades weren't good enough for UofC.

Two of my friends from undergrad who got rejected from masters programs here at UofC had to go to UofL because there were pretty much the only local place (local meaning Alberta or BC based) that would accept them.

lasimmon
10-09-2014, 02:10 PM
8baller8 is a known very pro-haskayane dude who regularly gets laughed at around here, don't mind him.

GQNammer
10-10-2014, 02:05 AM
LOL@Haskayne

I'm at haskayne right now. It's great, it really is. But please, if you think this institution is going to get you above and beyond others, get your head out of your ass.

Here's a fun fact, RBC had a "hiring fair" for IBs. 9 people made it to the 2nd round of interviews. NONE of which are from Haskayne.

Just do your work, get recognized, and you will find your way. Anyone else who says other wise are fucking morons.

Type_S1
10-10-2014, 07:07 AM
^ and did people from U of L make it through? lmao of course not!

The basic fact is that universities are tiered in Canada. Example U of T > U of C > U of L > MRU. This is a basic fact based on the academic merit required to get into the programs. This requirement is looked at by employers and the only people who say it isn't are people who are in lower tiered schools. Whatever helps you sleep at night. Not saying you can't be successful from a lower tiered school but it is 100% viewed differently in many of the highly sought jobs.

http://www.4icu.org/ca/ just leave this here for any doubters. In Calgary you go from 7 to 30's to 50's.....that is a massive difference that professionals and companies do recognize.

lasimmon
10-10-2014, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Type_S1
^ and did people from U of L make it through? lmao of course not!

The basic fact is that universities are tiered in Canada. Example U of T > U of C > U of L > MRU. This is a basic fact based on the academic merit required to get into the programs. This requirement is looked at by employers and the only people who say it isn't are people who are in lower tiered schools. Whatever helps you sleep at night. Not saying you can't be successful from a lower tiered school but it is 100% viewed differently in many of the highly sought jobs.

http://www.4icu.org/ca/ just leave this here for any doubters. In Calgary you go from 7 to 30's to 50's.....that is a massive difference that professionals and companies do recognize.

No, they really don't.

FixedGear
10-10-2014, 12:02 PM
I work in science, and while people don't discriminate based on what schools you attended, the fact is that most scientists have been trained in relatively selective institutions. So while a degree from MRU or Lethbridge won't prevent you from a career in science, statistically speaking it's relatively unlikely.

8baller8
10-10-2014, 05:03 PM
MRU and U of L barely even do research and they are better schools or on the same level as U of C?

Hahahhaa. Only on Beyond.

U of C alumni network and reputation regionally takes a giant dump on U of L's and MRU. Does that mean you cannot get a good job? No.

Like I said, I went to both schools . All of my classmates I transferred with have the same sentiments as I do.

CivicTunr
10-11-2014, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by 8baller8
MRU and U of L barely even do research and they are better schools or on the same level as U of C?

Hahahhaa. Only on Beyond.

U of C alumni network and reputation regionally takes a giant dump on U of L's and MRU. Does that mean you cannot get a good job? No.

Like I said, I went to both schools . All of my classmates I transferred with have the same sentiments as I do.

How is doing research making a school better? Who would you want to teach you. A prof who actually has 20+ years being an exec, or someone who has researched that this might work in real work.

Because from U of A, and being an engineer, i learned that real life and theory were totally different. Our gold mill in theory had 90 degree bends in the slurry line, but real world showed that didn't work.

gatorade
10-12-2014, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by CivicTunr

How is doing research making a school better? Who would you want to teach you. A prof who actually has 20+ years being an exec, or someone who has researched that this might work in real work.

Because from U of A, and being an engineer, I learned that real life and theory were totally different. Our gold mill in theory had 90 degree bends in the slurry line, but real world showed that didn't work.

Research is actually what gets a school highest in a ranking. People don't understand but Universities main goals are not to teach the students, but rather to pump out publications. Main reason being is that this forms a large part in how Universities get funding.

I don't understand how research equals only theory and not real work. Research consists of you going out to the field, getting findings, then trying to explain your findings either using existing theory or forming your own. The top profs are not those who are known for teaching, but those who are pumping out publications (hence research) ie. books, articles, and getting quoted in newspaper for their latest findings, and getting the most funding.

Before one becomes a prof, they mainly spend the 6-10 years from masters (usually 2-3 years) to phd (4-6 years) doing mostly research.

themack89
10-13-2014, 03:23 AM
Just wondering, 8baller8, but what do you do these days? Did you ever tryout for the rotman team?

There is no definitive pattern as to who does well based on where they went to school. There will be successful people from all three schools and losers from all three schools. It really doesn't matter, it just depends on how lucky you are and how smartly you can leverage the opportunities which present themselves to you.

There is an illusion that a better branded degree = merit. There is also an illusion that merit will get you far. This is untrue. Merit will get you the first few steps at most....being political is where its at.

CivicTunr
10-14-2014, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by gatorade

I don't understand how research equals only theory and not real work. .

Because with most scholarly articles i have read so far, most have assumptions. Real world does not have assumptions, so while it might work on paper. It does not always work 100% in the real world 100.

HiTempguy1
10-17-2014, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by CivicTunr

Because with most scholarly articles i have read so far, most have assumptions. Real world does not have assumptions, so while it might work on paper. It does not always work 100% in the real world 100.

I work at a research facility. This is exactly it.

It is beyond frustrating when you get clients calling about new products in the field being tested, and the answer is "f*&ked if I know, some dumbass PHD/Enginerd decided to do it that way because they have dick all for field experience". :dunno:

themack89
10-21-2014, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I work at a research facility. This is exactly it.

It is beyond frustrating when you get clients calling about new products in the field being tested, and the answer is "f*&ked if I know, some dumbass PHD/Enginerd decided to do it that way because they have dick all for field experience". :dunno:

lol do you work in sales

HiTempguy1
10-22-2014, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by themack89

lol do you work in sales

Nope, I'm the research bitch haha. I do the actual work from initial research to field implementation of products, and do field support when necessary ;)

KappaSigma
10-26-2014, 07:43 PM
U of l alumni. Same path. Wait then u of l. Got my CA after (non big 4). Few years after. Now controller at an e&p company.

When I hire people I could care less about haskayne. At that age its all about fit as experience level in junior and they are basically a warm body. After a few years of experience no one cares about university period.

BandW
10-28-2014, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by KappaSigma
U of l alumni. Same path. Wait then u of l. Got my CA after (non big 4). Few years after. Now controller at an e&p company.

When I hire people I could care less about haskayne. At that age its all about fit as experience level in junior and they are basically a warm body. After a few years of experience no one cares about university period.

You must be very good at things other than written communication. That's all I'm going to say.

KappaSigma
10-28-2014, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by BandW

You must be very good at things other than written communication. That's all I'm going to say.

Using my cell. Could care less. I'm great at managing low level staff like yourself thanks.

BandW
10-28-2014, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by KappaSigma

Using my cell. Could care less. I'm great at managing low level staff like yourself thanks.

It's actually "couldn't care less".

KappaSigma
10-29-2014, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by BandW

It's actually "couldn't care less".

Thanks tips.