PDA

View Full Version : Steam Switching to $CDN Pricing

schocker
10-01-2014, 08:05 AM
Got an email that steam is switching to local currencies on Oct 7. This I am assuming is going to be awesome in screwing us over and will probably charge us the inflated pricing also I am assuming with GST. Thoughts?

IE
Far Cry 4 $59.99 USD = ~$68
Far Cry 4 $69.99 CDN + Tax = $74
Might make more sense if they do screw us over would be to buy from GMG, but they have some cdn pricing already (can be avoided with a VPN I think) where far cry is priced like above except that the CDN pricing is still in USD :rofl:

Phl0xed
10-01-2014, 08:19 AM
PSN is in CAD, and doesn't charge GST. Can't comment on XBL, as the last time I used that they still had those stupid microsoft points... I'd be pretty surprised if Steam started charging GST, too.

jacky4566
10-01-2014, 08:29 AM
Sounds like its time to buy a VPN connection.
On a side note im still surprised they havn't adopted bitcoin. Its such a perfect market for them. Tons of micro transactions by mostly tech savy people.

n1zm0
10-01-2014, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by schocker
Thoughts?

IE
Far Cry 4 $59.99 USD = ~$68
Far Cry 4 $69.99 CDN + Tax = $74

http://replygif.net/i/272.gif

really though, I've thoroughly enjoyed the USD pricing since 2003 or whenever vs what you see the Aussies and Brits have to deal with for gaming prices, like we were one with the yankees. If (When) this goes through, I will have to suffer and get a physical copy for the top tier PC games or something.

This means I have to go and prepurchase Civ 6 and FC4 before monday :thumbsdow I'm a last minute kind of person lol

edit: Couldn't we just run a free VPN for steam anyways though

schocker
10-01-2014, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Phl0xed
PSN is in CAD, and doesn't charge GST. Can't comment on XBL, as the last time I used that they still had those stupid microsoft points... I'd be pretty surprised if Steam started charging GST, too.
XBL switch to just dollar pricing a while ago and converted all unused points to money, this is in canadian $ and charges GST which they switched to a long time ago iirc. They do charge the "cdn" prices though so $70 for a game etc.

Originally posted by jacky4566
Sounds like its time to buy a VPN connection.
On a side note im still surprised they havn't adopted bitcoin. Its such a perfect market for them. Tons of micro transactions by mostly tech savy people.
If you use VPN to buy on steam though they can ban you, that is why I figure GMG is the best route. They don't have all the steam games but most of the major ones along with uplay and origin games.

I use cyberghost though, this link is $15 for a year but not all servers, but it includes US so I am OK with that. no UK one though iirc

edit I think link is dead, still there but says in descrption promo is dead.

edit again, this link sounds like it is similar to what I have but it is 15 euro

https://store.cyberghostvpn.com/848/purl-secure-store?scope=checkout&cart=145798&x-parameter=HomepageEN_SnowdenEdition_0614B999&piwik_campaign=Homepage&piwik_kwd=HomepageEN_SnowdenEdition_0614B999&language=en&currency=eur

schocker
10-01-2014, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0
really though, I've thoroughly enjoyed the USD pricing since 2003 or whenever vs what you see the Aussies and Brits have to deal with for gaming prices, like we were one with the yankees. If (When) this goes through, I will have to suffer and get a physical copy for the top tier PC games or something.

This means I have to go and prepurchase Civ 6 and FC4 before monday :thumbsdow I'm a last minute kind of person lol

edit: Couldn't we just run a free VPN for steam anyways though
I was just about to get the no forex fee amazon visa also :rofl:

Don't worry about civ as FS and BB have it for $50 unless you have a coupon for GMG. FC4 price is stupid though, the 25% on gmg wouldn't even work on it so it is full price.

DeleriousZ
10-01-2014, 09:51 AM
Even more reason to wait for the glorious sales.

schocker
10-07-2014, 07:14 PM
Pricing switched. Mostly 10% increases so it is cheaper than exchange but I wonder if the dollar improves if it will lower it. Some games though are a flat rate of 10 more like NBA 2k which is dumb while some games converted straight like civilization which is still 50!