PDA

View Full Version : Used Winter Tires

Phihalo
10-08-2014, 11:41 AM
I am looking for winter tires for my 4runner which I occasionally drive in the winter so hence the decision of possibly getting them used. Browsing through kijji and found a set that is decent but I'm wondering how to tell how much thread it has left besides the seller claims (9/32)

Here's the pic - they are blizzak DM-V1

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/Mzc0WDY2NA==/z/sikAAOSwEppUMzPn/$_20.JPG

Anything else I should pay close attention to?

schocker
10-08-2014, 12:02 PM
Go to canadian tire and they sell a tread depth gauge for like $5 over by the tire patches. Check against the manufacturer website for what it came with originally or tire rack if you can't find it, and for winter tires, you generally want to change them at 6/32 so you can figure out how much life it has left based on the 6/32 not 0/32 like some sellers do.

Shlade
10-08-2014, 12:02 PM
Just look and see if their not punctured anywhere by anything. At 9/32 (90%) I wouldn't worry

Phihalo
10-08-2014, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by schocker
Go to canadian tire and they sell a tread depth gauge for like $5 over by the tire patches.

Thanks, didn't know that. Thought it's a special tool or something, I'll go check it out :)

Originally posted by Shlade
Just look and see if their not punctured anywhere by anything. At 9/32 (90%) I wouldn't worry

My thoughts as well, but I don't know how to tell just by looking at it as that's only the seller's claim 9/32 but nothing to back it up. a tread depth gauage would work as suggested by schocker. Does the tire in the pic looks very new?

schocker
10-08-2014, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Phihalo
Thanks, didn't know that. Thought it's a special tool or something, I'll go check it out :)

Yup, just hard to find as they only carry one brand and the package is quite small. I bought one so I could check as from eyeballing tires I have always way underestimated the tread left. I have bought used tires in the past by eyeballing but now I know for sure.

ExtraSlow
10-08-2014, 02:08 PM
Do you guys take the time to meausre tread depth at the wear bars, or just anywhere?

schocker
10-08-2014, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Do you guys take the time to meausre tread depth at the wear bars, or just anywhere?
I usually just do a couple spot checks in the middle and eyeball the wear bars.

FiveFreshFish
10-09-2014, 09:54 PM
This is the type of depth gauge I like.

http://i62.tinypic.com/mlnh55.jpg