PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen Grand Prix live?

bignerd
10-08-2014, 10:01 PM
Has anyone attended a Grand Prix race live? Where typically are the best seats? I was specifically looking at Montreal-(have never been, don't follow racing, this would be a gift).

It appears based on prices that across from the pits/finish line is best or one of the sharp corners (there are a couple?).

TIA

kdwebber
10-09-2014, 03:11 AM
I've been to the Montreal Grand Prix five times. I've sat in grandstand 1 across from the pits a few times, 33 one year, 24 another. So far my favourite seats have been in the Senna corner (grandstand 12) and the hairpin (grandstand 15). The hairpin provides some excellent viewing and is probably my favourite to date. The pits can be cool because you get to check out the action in the garages if you have the right seats. One option you can do is to scalp some cheap tickets in grandstand 1 on friday to check out the action in the pits. They can be had pretty cheap on friday especially after FP1 is finished.

killramos
10-09-2014, 07:21 AM
Been to Catalunya, I sat right in the back corner before the chicane into the grandstand. It was awesome as you could watch 4 corners. I recommend if you want to watch the racing watch where you can see tons of corners.

However from grandstand there are some benefits, better screens and you get to see pits etc.

I personally had a hard time keeping track of the race (even who was in the lead lol) screens were to hard to see in the sun.

rage2
10-09-2014, 09:45 AM
Kangaroo TV haven't had a contract in the last 2 years, so it's difficult to follow the race live nowadays. I've always used that as you can flip to every driver's in car, the world feed, and they have BBC commentary as well in the palm of your hands when the cars are at the other end of the track.

killramos
10-09-2014, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Kangaroo TV haven't had a contract in the last 2 years, so it's difficult to follow the race live nowadays. I've always used that as you can flip to every driver's in car, the world feed, and they have BBC commentary as well in the palm of your hands when the cars are at the other end of the track.

I have considered bringing my ipad with the F1 timing app when i go to montreal next. LTE keeps it updated. Could get a SIM i guess in Europe / US but who has the time...

buh_buh
10-09-2014, 12:41 PM
I've been to Hockenheim. Sat in the first corner right at pit exit facing a screen.
Although the screen is difficult to see, it does help in gauging what's going on the rest of the track. Kangaroo TV is the way to go though, this was like 7 years ago so as rage said this doesnt exist anymore.

H4LFY2nR
10-09-2014, 01:58 PM
Been to Montreal, Austin, Catalunya, and Monaco and tried a couple different grandstand spots. My recommendation is to find a grandstand at a corner that:

- has the best overtaking opportunity (preferably with a good view of the entry and exit of the corner)
- area where drivers try different lines/make mistakes
- has a good view of a screen
- has potential to see other corners/plently of race track
- close to the action(not accross a huge run-off area from the track edge)
- try to find pictures of where/how high guard rails are. (sitting too close to the track can hide the cars behind the guardrails depending on the racing line).

Like someone else mentioned, if you want a good compromise on location get cheap Friday tickets on the pit straight to see the pit action and the cars at full speed, but get a grandstand at a corner to see the main action during the race.

The local race track commentary that they blast on the PA systems usually sucks or changes languages every few minutes. Kangaroo TV was awesome while they had it, but using the F1 App still gets you live timing and BBC commentary and I didn't experience any lag issues on LTE in Europe.

TL;DR: For Montreal, grandstand 24 on the exit of the hairpin

bignerd
10-09-2014, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by kdwebber
I've been to the Montreal Grand Prix five times. I've sat in grandstand 1 across from the pits a few times, 33 one year, 24 another. So far my favourite seats have been in the Senna corner (grandstand 12) and the hairpin (grandstand 15). The hairpin provides some excellent viewing and is probably my favourite to date. The pits can be cool because you get to check out the action in the garages if you have the right seats. One option you can do is to scalp some cheap tickets in grandstand 1 on friday to check out the action in the pits. They can be had pretty cheap on friday especially after FP1 is finished.

12, 15, 24 they all look good? It does say they are numbered seats but does not give you a choice of where you want to sit (what row or number) so can't say as far as if there is a guard rail or wall etc.

Montreal Course (http://www.grandprixmontreal.com/tickets.php)

Found this too:

4 // WHICH GRANDSTAND TO CHOOSE
All grandstands are equipped with a large TV screen opposite them for spectators to follow all the action around the track. None of the grandstands are covered though, so opt for hospitality packages if this is an essential requirement.

Grandstands 2 and 1 are for the pre-race grid activities, start/finish, pit stops and podium celebrations. The catch fence will get in the way of those wanting to take clear pictures or video footage from either of these grandstands. Leading team pit garages (Red Bull Racing, Mercedes AMG, Ferrari, etc) are across from Grandstand 1.

Grandstands 12 and 11 are also for start/finish (from a distance - see image at the top), overtaking action at Turn 1, Turn 2 and the pit exit. Not all seats at Grandstand 12 can see the start/finish line, however, it is much closer to the TV screen than Grandstand 11. Both Grandstands 12 and 11 are elevated and allow better quality photos and video footage without the inconvenience of the safety fence.

Grandstands 33 and 31 have limited views but are strategically placed after chicanes that are difficult to negotiate. Expect lots of driver errors, contact with the wall before Grandstand 33 and excursions across the gravel trap in front of Grandstand 31. Only spectators sitting on the top rows of Grandstands 33 will see above the debris fence. Grandstand 31 is on a platform and is not impeded by the fence.

Grandstands 21, 15, 24 and 34 are all located at the hairpin, where most of the overtaking action takes place.
Grandstand 15 has a broader view of that part of the circuit. Cars can be seen coming from behind Grandstand 34 (from the kink after Turn 9) and disappearing past Turn 11. Those seating in the bottom dozen rows will have their view obstructed by the catch fence.
Grandstands 21 and 24 are right next to the track whereas there is a huge run-off just in front of Grandstand 15 and Grandstand 34 has a massive grass area in front of it. Both grandstands 21 and 24 are elevated; however, they have a more limited viewing angle. Because of the linear motion of acceleration, it is easier to take pictures of cars coming out of the hairpin rather than braking into Turn 10. Grandstand 21 is probably better suited to that than Grandstand 24. Again, the top rows will enjoy views above the safety fence (see Marussia image below).
For an extra $15 CAD, Grandstand 34 is probably better value for money compared to Grandstands 33 or 31. It is the best compromise for those wanting (a) a seat and (b) watch overtaking moves that just wouldn't happen in front of grandstands 33 and 31 unless rain plays a part in the race. Grandstand 34 does not suffer from the debris fence.

The Popular Grandstand offers limited views. Occasional overtaking happening there when drivers experience poor traction out of the hairpin (Turn 10). Despite this grandstand being elevated, it is not ideal for taking pictures as the cars are very fast on this part of the track.