PDA

View Full Version : Where to get Studs installed?

spike98
10-17-2014, 10:26 AM
I planning on picking up my Nordfrost 100's from Tunerworks today or monday and id like to get them studded. Where is a decent place to get them studded, mounted, and balanced? I've called a few places and they are talking $150 a tire for everything. That seems crazy to me as thats almost the cost of the actual tire...

never
10-17-2014, 10:33 AM
Tunerworks can't do it?

Who have you called for estimates?

gpomp
10-17-2014, 10:35 AM
Speedoptions

spike98
10-17-2014, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by never
Tunerworks can't do it?

Who have you called for estimates?

Been dealing with Sunny and he told me they dont do studding. :dunno:

I' have been calling the big box stores like kaltire and fountain tire.

never
10-17-2014, 10:41 AM
Try Gary at Urban X South. Can't recall what he charged me for studding but it was reasonable.

bourge73
10-17-2014, 12:01 PM
Pretty sure zee tire does em. And cheap

ercchry
10-17-2014, 12:04 PM
just make sure you get them studded before you roll down the road. due to proximity i'd say take them a block south to vex... they stud in house

spike98
10-17-2014, 01:01 PM
Called Vex....$25 per tire and $50 mount/balance. Jesus are the dopes in cochrane (and other big box stores) trying to rip you off.

$150+tax is a far cry from the $400+tax i was told at Kaltire/Fountain Tire.

HiTempguy1
10-17-2014, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by spike98
Called Vex....$25 per tire and $50 mount/balance. Jesus are the dopes in cochrane (and other big box stores) trying to rip you off.

$150+tax is a far cry from the $400+tax i was told at Kaltire/Fountain Tire.

Go on Kijiji and look for tire studding :dunno:

You should never pay more than $20/tire to stud, and anyone paying more than $15/tire to get them mounted and balanced... I have a bridge to sell you!

spike98
10-17-2014, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Go on Kijiji and look for tire studding :dunno:

You should never pay more than $20/tire to stud, and anyone paying more than $15/tire to get them mounted and balanced... I have a bridge to sell you!

The kijiji guy is $80/set to START. Longer/different studs will cost more.

Did you see my post from above? Vex, $25per for studded, $50 for the set mounted/balanced.

HiTempguy1
10-17-2014, 02:32 PM

The kijiji guy is $80/set to START. Longer/different studs will cost more.

Did you see my post from above? Vex, $25per for studded, $50 for the set mounted/balanced.

Sorry, your post was a bit confusing. I thought you meant $25 + $50. $50 per tire is pretty reasonable for studding plus mounting and balancing.

I have gotten it done for $15 mount plus balance and $20 stud, so it can be done cheaper, but maybe not much (especially in Calgary). :dunno:

NRGie
10-17-2014, 02:33 PM
Urban x did mine for 25/tire

spike98
10-17-2014, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by NRGie
Urban x did mine for 25/tire

Stud/mount/balance? or just stud.

tirebob
10-17-2014, 03:26 PM

Stud/mount/balance? or just stud. If tires are purchased from us we charge $25.00 each to stud them. If they come from elsewhere we charge more.

Quite frankly, we are so busy at this time of year it just isn't worth the time it takes to pull a guy off of a full job that pays well to put him on a labour job only. When you are a business carrying extra employees etc at this time of year, some labour jobs are money losses in the grand scheme of things. :dunno:

natty54
10-17-2014, 08:39 PM
Why didn't you just but the ones that come pre-studded from factory???

BokCh0y
10-17-2014, 09:50 PM
Urban did mine too - north location this time for the kids Civic.

It wasn't $150 a tire. It was more around $180 for all 4 mounted and balanced and studded.

k1l4m
10-17-2014, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
Speedoptions

+1 :thumbsup:

dj_rice
10-17-2014, 10:13 PM
I studded my own tires last year. Borrowed my shop foreman's stud gun. Let me tell you, its a beotch to do and time consuming as hell. Took me I think 2 hours total to do. Totallly not worth it after I did it.

Most shops charge $25-50/tire to do. I saved money but the time spent was not worth it. The studs themselves cost me $60 for a box of 1000. IIRC its 65 studs/tire.

The most shitty thing is, after studding and driving on them, I've noticed the studs have already sunken past the tire tread alot. Come to find out, the shop I bought the studs from gave me the wrong size. Gave me 10mm instead of 11mm but I don't think it should make that big of a difference or not.

Gonna take out all the studs and re-stud them in a few weeks

BokCh0y
10-18-2014, 01:39 AM
^^^

That is some serious punishment. But I applaud your tenacity.

tirebob
10-18-2014, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
I studded my own tires last year. Borrowed my shop foreman's stud gun. Let me tell you, its a beotch to do and time consuming as hell. Took me I think 2 hours total to do. Totallly not worth it after I did it.

Most shops charge $25-50/tire to do. I saved money but the time spent was not worth it. The studs themselves cost me $60 for a box of 1000. IIRC its 65 studs/tire.

The most shitty thing is, after studding and driving on them, I've noticed the studs have already sunken past the tire tread alot. Come to find out, the shop I bought the studs from gave me the wrong size. Gave me 10mm instead of 11mm but I don't think it should make that big of a difference or not.

Gonna take out all the studs and re-stud them in a few weeks

Wow man... That is rough! Studding tires is not always pleasant to do. Some tires are easier than others. Having the correct length for the specific tires is crucial. And 65 studs per tire? That is not a lot at all... Most tires have well over 100! We usually get two sets of tires out of one box of studs, and quality equipment to do it all properly and as efficiently as possible costs a couple grand and it wears out and/or breaks. I am on my 3rd stud gun this year! FML...

It isn't the money making machine people tend to think it is... lol

anothers10
10-18-2014, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by tirebob

Wow man... That is rough! Studding tires is not always pleasant to do. Some tires are easier than others. Having the correct length for the specific tires is crucial. And 65 studs per tire? That is not a lot at all... Most tires have well over 100! We usually get two sets of tires out of one box of studs, and quality equipment to do it all properly and as efficiently as possible costs a couple grand and it wears out and/or breaks. I am on my 3rd stud gun this year! FML...

It isn't the money making machine people tend to think it is... lol

3rd gun at 400 bucks a pop. Man I got mad when I had to buy one after 7 years. I must not stud enough tires. (i am thank full for that) id rather pay trican to do it for me and save my time.

tirebob
10-19-2014, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by anothers10

3rd gun at 400 bucks a pop. Man I got mad when I had to buy one after 7 years. I must not stud enough tires. (i am thank full for that) id rather pay trican to do it for me and save my time. Tell me about it! I normally expect 2 years or so out of a gun (we do stud a ton of tires) but this year has been the perfect storm of exploding stud guns! Hahaa! So shitty...

911sc
12-09-2014, 01:04 AM
I know this post is a couple months old but for anyone still looking I would suggest using Zee Tire They charge $20 a tire. In the last 2 years our company has had 18 vehicles studded by Zee and we are very satisfied.

shakalaka
12-09-2014, 01:55 AM
This is a newbie question but hey where else do I ask. Can all tires be studded or only specific tires? For example, I got Blizzak's LM32's on my vehicle, can I just go take them to get them studded or will I be told that they can't be done?

dj_rice
12-09-2014, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
This is a newbie question but hey where else do I ask. Can all tires be studded or only specific tires? For example, I got Blizzak's LM32's on my vehicle, can I just go take them to get them studded or will I be told that they can't be done?

Only specific "studdable" tires are studdable. There is little pre-drilled holes in the tire design that can recieve studs.

Your Blizzak is designed as a studless tire so no studs can be installed.

Studdable
http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/general/ge_altimax_arctic_ci1_l.jpg

Studless
http://www.opony.com.pl/informacje/images/blizzak-lm-32.png

shakalaka
12-09-2014, 12:02 PM
Thank you makes sense.

Thaco
12-09-2014, 12:08 PM
also, most shops will not stud tires that have been used to any degree because they often get crap (rocks) in the stud holes.

ercchry
12-09-2014, 12:08 PM
and to add to that if they are already rolling on your car you cant do studs, can only stud brand new tires

dj_rice
12-09-2014, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
and to add to that if they are already rolling on your car you cant do studs, can only stud brand new tires

Only shops....not if your doing them on your own ;)

max_boost
12-09-2014, 09:15 PM
I thought most shops hating studding tires? I think it's overkill but that just my opinion. Definitely don't need them on a defrost day like today lol