PDA

View Full Version : I've been pranked

prodigydud
11-05-2014, 09:01 PM
Someone used my computer to send out inappropriate emails to coworkers. I suspect this happened after work hours, because I left my computer at 4pm and emails were sent 6pm. Typically, our work computers lockout after a few minutes of inactivity, so I'm puzzled how they sent emails 2 hours after I left.

I'm finding this out via my work iphone.

Any ideas on how I can identify the perpetrator(s)?

I haven't touched the computer in the office yet, but should I do anything before logging back in?

Thanks!

revelations
11-05-2014, 10:12 PM
Have you analyzed the sent email headers to confirm this?

Do you have these emails in your sent folder?

dj_rice
11-05-2014, 10:40 PM
Post up more details like what the emails say and we might be able to help u out

prodigydud
11-05-2014, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by revelations
Have you analyzed the sent email headers to confirm this?

Do you have these emails in your sent folder?

Yup. Was sent from my email account. Emails are in my sent box.

prodigydud
11-05-2014, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Post up more details like what the emails say and we might be able to help u out

Short emails. Basically email sent to coworkers calling them inappropriate names.

I'm suspecting the receivers are the perps or in on it.

What's weird was that they were able to send after hours - usually autolock after a few mins. I'd be amazed if they got my password. Heck, I have trouble remember my password.

Zhariak
11-06-2014, 08:02 AM
You can configure messages for delayed delivery, although you would have noticed a message count in your outbox.

Technically they would have to know you password, or have "Send As" permission on your account if your organization is using Microsoft Exchange.

Also, any chance your phone/mobile device may be compromised? Have any extra mobile devices you had configured for e-mail that you may have gotten rid of in the past? If the sync membership still exists they could use these.

Look at the sent messages, and look for things like if your signature is different (in case you have slightly different sigs configured for different devices).

You wouldn't have your password written down on a sticky note inside of your drawer in your desk would you? Everyone always thinks this is smart, but everyone does it.

killramos
11-06-2014, 08:20 AM
Alibi. Good work :thumbsup:

lasimmon
11-06-2014, 09:16 AM
Are you worried about getting in trouble or out to seek revenge?

revelations
11-06-2014, 10:01 AM
As mentioned, what other email portals do you use? (web based, phone, etc)

What kind of IT dept does your company have? (in house, contract). Is your workstation on a domain?

I would still look at the headers to confirm they did in fact originate from your workstation IP address.

Bypassing a Windows 7 login isnt that difficult btw.

ryder_23
11-06-2014, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by killramos

Yep. Busted.

I'd be amazed if they got my password. Heck, I have trouble remember my password.

Even ignoring grammar, this reaction spits cover up

Joe-G
11-06-2014, 10:53 AM
How the hell do you forget your own password to your work computer...

Too many drinks at the bar last night?? Hahaha

If what you say is true, its easy enough to hop onto your computer as soon as you head out the door. Then again, Y U NO LOCK WORK COMPUTER???

The_Penguin
11-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Windows key-L before leaving desk. EVERY time.

jwslam
11-06-2014, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Joe-G
How the hell do you forget your own password to your work computer...
Our policy is to renew every 90 days. And I can't recycle passwords for 10 cycles. Everytime I change to a new one it takes me like 3 days to remember it. I've given up and I'm just going +1 on the last digit of the password everytime now.

roll_over
11-06-2014, 11:47 AM
What if someone installed a USB keylogger

G-ZUS
11-06-2014, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by roll_over
What if someone installed a USB keylogger

Do you think he works with Arash?

Unknown303
11-06-2014, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

Our policy is to renew every 90 days. And I can't recycle passwords for 10 cycles. Everytime I change to a new one it takes me like 3 days to remember it. I've given up and I'm just going +1 on the last digit of the password everytime now.

:werd: I'm onto #22 now.

roll_over
11-06-2014, 12:24 PM
Lol I knew that comment was coming

Disoblige
11-06-2014, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by killramos

Kijho
11-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303

Mine is less than 90 days, you lucky guys!! I'm on #46 right now god damn... :banghead:

G
11-06-2014, 12:30 PM
I noticed sometimes my pc won't lock depending on what I have running. I make it a habit to lock it myself now.

botox
11-06-2014, 12:32 PM
You can tell the difference between spam/spoof/virus emails vs a coworker goofing off and sending to specific people with specific things. I think some of you guys are overthinking this. I've seem programs and twitching mice that will prevent the computer from going to sleep. Windows+L is all you need to do, do it a few times and it'll become a habit.

Originally posted by Kijho

Mine is less than 90 days, you lucky guys!! I'm on #46 right now god damn... :banghead:

I'm an admin so I just keep resetting mine to the same :D

jwslam
11-06-2014, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by Unknown303

Originally posted by Kijho
Well since I can recycle after 10 I'm going back to 1 eventually.

The_Penguin
11-06-2014, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by botox
You can tell the difference between spam/spoof/virus emails vs a coworker goofing off and sending to specific people with specific things. I think some of you guys are overthinking this. I've seem programs and twitching mice that will prevent the computer from going to sleep. Windows+L is all you need to do, do it a few times and it'll become a habit.

I'm an admin so I just keep resetting mine to the same :D

LOL yep, same here. Mine's complex enough that I see no need to keep changing it.

firebane
11-06-2014, 01:52 PM
My work instills a password change too but there are ways we can circumvent it to continuously use the same password over and over.

Win+L is absolutely mandatory in our work environment or you will be sending emails out about beer & wings and god knows what else. We also like to do things like rotate peoples screens and put strawberry shortcake on their desktops.

88CRX
11-06-2014, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by firebane
My work instills a password change too but there are ways we can circumvent it to continuously use the same password over and over.

Win+L is absolutely mandatory in our work environment or you will be sending emails out about beer & wings and god knows what else. We also like to do things like rotate peoples screens and put strawberry shortcake on their desktops.

Print screen then turn off icons is my favorite. Gets em' every time.

roll_over
11-06-2014, 02:01 PM
I was just about to post that ^^^^

firebane
11-06-2014, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

Print screen then turn off icons is my favorite. Gets em' every time.

Yup really popular one too.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
11-06-2014, 02:09 PM
Lol I print screened my coworkers computer today when he didn't lock it for lunch.

prodigydud
11-06-2014, 02:21 PM
Whoa.....gotta do the print screen/icons off trick hehe

So the pranksters fessed up...a few nearby co-workers swung by to grab some stuff after work hours, and saw my computer still awake.....

It seems something I had something open (I think it's a powerpoint file with presentation view on) that caused my computer to not auto-lock. Kinda weird, as it usually locks no matter what.

botox
11-06-2014, 05:33 PM
^^ Yup, like I said, it was probably a program and some guy saw the window of opportunity. I personally enjoy changing backgrounds to some weird awkward picture or something like that.

Print screen, remove icon, reverse mouse buttons, and flip the screen is a fun one :D.

ExtraSlow
11-06-2014, 10:40 PM
This is why you always hit "Window Key - L" every time you get up from your computer. Takes less than a second.

jwslam
11-07-2014, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
This is why you always hit "Window Key - L" every time you get up from your computer. Takes less than a second.
I feel like I can make lots of money off an "easy botton" that is just USB programmed as a Win+L key combo.

Tik-Tok
11-07-2014, 09:41 AM

I feel like I can make lots of money off an "easy botton" that is just USB programmed as a Win+L key combo.

Make it a pressure plate instead, that goes on your chair. Anytime you get up, it locks your computer ;)

jwslam
11-07-2014, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Make it a pressure plate instead, that goes on your chair. Anytime you get up, it locks your computer ;)
And any one of a different weight sets off an alarm. :rofl:
I'm gonna bet this kickstarter won't go off as well as potato salad though :banghead: :banghead:

syscal
11-07-2014, 10:48 AM
Reminds me of this vid.

uRGljemfwUE