PDA

View Full Version : Looking for: Technical Co-founder/Web Developer

JTI
11-27-2014, 02:19 PM
Hi guys,

I currently have a social network startup called www.tunerport.com

Business professionals have LinkedIn. The art community has deviantART, photographers have Flickr.

Tunerport is the next generation social network for auto enthusiasts.

We are a team of 2 experienced entrepreneurs looking for a technical co-founder to help us with web development. We have a completed a lot of market validation for our idea and we know exactly what we want to do, while being open to being agile.

We recently completed a pre-accelerator program called Next for Google Entrepreneurs and have a couple excellent mentors in place that have been guiding us.

If you are interested in being part of a startup that is geared towards your passion for cars, please give me a shout via PM with your email address. I would love to learn more about you and let you learn more about us.

Johnny

R154
11-27-2014, 03:28 PM
so, youre asking for help to develop a wordpress version of this site?

revelations
11-27-2014, 03:47 PM
Honestly (impressions only) I dont think youll find a huge market for this as I find that petrol/gear heads tend to frequent discussion boards. Signing up for ANOTHER social media network is becoming overkill for most.

FB groups are pretty much the norm for local activity as well.

But good luck if you want to pursue it though!

JTI
11-27-2014, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by R154
so, your asking for help to develop a wordpress version of this site?
We would like to build the website from the ground up. Not on wordpress. Maybe ROR or something like that. That can be up for discussion with whomever is interested.

JTI
11-27-2014, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by revelations
Honestly (impressions only) I dont think youll find a huge market for this as I find that petrol/gear heads tend to frequent discussion boards. Signing up for ANOTHER social media network is becoming overkill for most.

FB groups are pretty much the norm for local activity as well.

But good luck if you want to pursue it though!
Thank you for your opinion.

We've done extensive market validation for our idea and you are right, most do frequent discussion boards, but we've also identified pains with discussion boards and other social networks. We think our idea can solve those pains and give enthusiast a much better experience than what is available.

We also had a booth recently at Formula Drift in Irwindale and received some positive feedback and learned a lot. It's an ambitious project and idea, but it's worth pursuing based on what we've learned so far.

UndrgroundRider
11-27-2014, 05:22 PM
xlA9bNk3b5Q

Social networking has been done to death. It's almost impossible to get any traction, even harder to monetize that traffic, and worst of all it costs a fortune to get up and running in the first place. High risk, low reward. Anyone telling you to pursue this idea is an idiot.

Also, nobody is going to be the workhorse of your startup and develop the whole business offering for 1/3rd of the equity. Developing a proper social networking site is a job for a TEAM of developers, not one guy locked away in a basement. What are the other two founders going to be doing? Let me guess, they're the "idea guys."

Here's the only market validation you need: If it was a good idea people would be falling over themselves to give you seed funding. Then you could hire the developers you need instead of trying to turn an undergrad into a slave.

JTI
11-27-2014, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by UndrgroundRider
xlA9bNk3b5Q

Social networking has been done to death. It's almost impossible to get any traction, even harder to monetize that traffic, and worst of all it costs a fortune to get up and running in the first place. High risk, low reward. Anyone telling you to pursue this idea is an idiot.

Also, nobody is going to be the workhorse of your startup and develop the whole business offering for 1/3rd of the equity. Developing a proper social networking site is a job for a TEAM of developers, not one guy locked away in a basement. What are the other two founders going to be doing? Let me guess, they're the "idea guys."

Here's the only market validation you need: If it was a good idea people would be falling over themselves to give you seed funding. Then you could hire the developers you need instead of trying to turn an undergrad into a slave.
Thanks for your opinion.

First off, please don't call anyone an idiot. You don't know who our mentors are and what they've accomplished. The reason why they've said it worth to pursue is because of the results of our market validation from our pre-accelerator program. Let's keep the name calling out.

You are absolutely right that its hard to gain traction. There's no argument there. Monetizing will come, if we can gain any traction, but were are so far from that it's not even on our radar right now.

We are in need of help to build our minimum viable product. When we started this idea it was completely different, but since our market validation work, we have pivoted to this because we saw a problem that we might be able to solve. Of course I say "might" because we don't know anything for sure until it is in the hands of our users. Yes, we could be wrong and fall completely on our face, but if we are agile and not stubborn to what the market tells us, we stand a chance.

My other co-founder is a programmer as well. We also have 1 other friend working on this with us, he's also another technical guy/programmer. We also have a team of designers working with us as well. So the person joining us, won't be a slave. He will be working with a team, assisting in coding and adding ideas.

As to your point about seed money. We can not get any investment until we have something to show investors (an MVP) and then gain traction. Which we actually have a quite a solid plan for.

I came on here to see if I could possibly find someone who might be interested in a challenge like this. We are not taking a shot in the dark here with our idea or trying to make anyone a slave. No one has to join our team if they don't want to. We are much further along than you think. So to diss me/team and our idea without knowing anything about us or what we've done so far, validates on one of the pains we've identified with these forums.

I don't really feel like defending our idea or my post. I am looking for help. If you can help and are interested, please PM me. If you don't like my idea, that's cool too, PM me and tell me why without name calling. If you think you have a better idea, then great! PM me, I would love to hear about it. But please keep my help wanted post free of clutter.

Thank you.

FraserB
11-27-2014, 11:08 PM
FWIW, I talked to JTI about this back in March when he was doing the market validation portion of this. Seemed like a pretty nifty idea, glad to see it's still moving along.

Little Dragon
11-28-2014, 12:55 PM
Your MVP could be just simple screenshots/mock ups. For our pitch, we just mocked up wireframes of the idea in Photoshop within a few days. In our case, the investors were more interested in our business plan than a nice prototype.

E36M3
11-28-2014, 04:09 PM
You were talking to terrible investors if they were more interested in a business plan than a prototype. /troll

Originally posted by Little Dragon
Your MVP could be just simple screenshots/mock ups. For our pitch, we just mocked up wireframes of the idea in Photoshop within a few days. In our case, the investors were more interested in our business plan than a nice prototype.

Little Dragon
11-29-2014, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by E36M3
You were talking to terrible investors if they were more interested in a business plan than a prototype. /troll

They understood the app's functionality well enough with our animated wireframes and were more interested in how it would sustain itself and gain revenue.

R154
12-01-2014, 11:36 AM
did they invest?