PDA

View Full Version : Sports Psychologist

jabjab
12-01-2014, 02:43 PM
I'm recently going to compete in a contact sport and would like to take advantage of the use of sports psychologist. Can anyone recommend one that they have personally used or know someone who's used them?

Thanks!

JfuckinC
12-01-2014, 03:01 PM
Are you sure you're not mixing up your words here? Psychologist?

jabjab
12-01-2014, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
Are you sure you're not mixing up your words here? Psychologist?

What do you mean?

flipstah
12-01-2014, 03:30 PM
Are you not strong enough mentally? Fumble a lot?

rage2
12-01-2014, 03:41 PM
Are you competing in a pro league or something? I don't know anyone that would spend money on a sports psychologist for a rec league. Then again, I know people that use performance enhancing drugs in rec league sports, so I guess anything is possible.

killramos
12-01-2014, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

What I drive: TT

Somehow i don't think hes a football player :rolleyes:

Unless his name is Brandon Banks :rofl:

:goflames:

jabjab
12-01-2014, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Are you competing in a pro league or something? I don't know anyone that would spend money on a sports psychologist for a rec league. Then again, I know people that use performance enhancing drugs in rec league sports, so I guess anything is possible.

I'll be competing in amateur boxing within Canada. I'm lucky enough to have work benefits that would cover a portion of the cost so I want to take advantage of this.

rage2
12-01-2014, 03:49 PM
That's pretty cool. Can't help you with a recommendation, but keep us posted on your progress!

jabjab
12-01-2014, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Sports Psychologists are not strictly for people who "fumble" or not strong enough mentally.

BavarianBeast
12-01-2014, 03:50 PM
"Don't take the punches personally, they are only hitting you because it's the sport."

:dunno:

Why the hell would you want to take advantage of that?

rage2
12-01-2014, 03:52 PM
Obviously not many of you understand what sports psychologists do. Either that or the comedic level of our members have drastically deteriorated.

killramos
12-01-2014, 03:52 PM
You might be able to get some amature help for a reasonable cost out of the U of C for practicum etc?

http://www.ucalgary.ca/strl/resources/coaching

jabjab
12-01-2014, 03:53 PM
That's pretty cool. Can't help you with a recommendation, but keep us posted on your progress!

thanks! I will update and even post my fight up on youtube when it happens. Was suppose to compete in Lethbridge on the 8th of November but got cancelled twice! I found it hard to get motivated after that but its something I've always wanted to do.

killramos
12-01-2014, 03:54 PM
Either that or the comedic level of our members have drastically deteriorated.

Its been a long Monday, and i have to look forward to furnace repairs when i get home.

I am never that funny to start with :rofl:

Good luck with the Boxing OP. Tough Sport, not surprised you are interested in some mental conditioning.

ExtraSlow
12-01-2014, 03:59 PM
Boxing is a very mental sport, good luck OP.

flipstah
12-01-2014, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by jabjab

I'll be competing in amateur boxing within Canada. I'm lucky enough to have work benefits that would cover a portion of the cost so I want to take advantage of this.

Originally posted by jabjab

Sports Psychologists are not strictly for people who "fumble" or not strong enough mentally.

Obviously not many of you understand what sports psychologists do. Either that or the comedic level of our members have drastically deteriorated.

That's awesome! Good luck, OP!

That was a legitimate question, actually. I naively thought that's it's limited to just 'head games'.

As mentioned, the UofC is a good place for help on kinesology and body mechanics.

JfuckinC
12-01-2014, 04:16 PM
I have no idea, i wasn't trying to be funny, i thought he was mixing it up with Physio lol

What would a sports psychologist do? Help with anxiety before hand?

mr2mike
12-01-2014, 04:19 PM
Maybe take to twitter and contact some former Olympians and who they've used. I know Calgary has a pretty large Olympian population who train in this city.

here's a start:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health-advisor/harness-your-emotions-to-win-like-an-olympian/article21790422/

rage2
12-01-2014, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
What would a sports psychologist do? Help with anxiety before hand?
Generally, they help you improve focus, get your head in the right place so you can stay in the zone longer both from a competition standpoint as well as a training standpoint.

1-Bar
12-02-2014, 07:46 AM
http://adaptiveminds.ca

Try this place :thumbsup:

jabjab
12-02-2014, 08:30 AM
sent a few inquires to the U of C and Adaptive Minds and waiting to hear back. Thanks for the helpful links!

JRSC00LUDE
12-02-2014, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast
"Don't take the punches personally, they are only hitting you because it's the sport."

:dunno:

Why the hell would you want to take advantage of that?

You have an excellent knack of sounding like a know it all cunt. This is Milk2% level! :thumbsup:

:rofl:

klumsy_tumbler
12-02-2014, 12:22 PM
I wish I could remember the name of the guy I went to when I was younger. It definitely helped with my pre-comp anxiety, and coming back from my (numerous) injuries.

Most people don't realize how much of a factor the mental side of sport is. When people are just in a rec-league sort of situation, they're more interested in the social and "fun" aspect than anything else. People who devote themselves to a sport, however, are focused on improving themselves in every way possible in order to be the best.

OP, I hope that you are able to find someone that can help. If you are willing to fully commit to their suggestions and exercises, you will notice a massive difference for the better. Good luck!

jabjab
12-02-2014, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by klumsy_tumbler
I wish I could remember the name of the guy I went to when I was younger. It definitely helped with my pre-comp anxiety, and coming back from my (numerous) injuries.

Most people don't realize how much of a factor the mental side of sport is. When people are just in a rec-league sort of situation, they're more interested in the social and "fun" aspect than anything else. People who devote themselves to a sport, however, are focused on improving themselves in every way possible in order to be the best.

OP, I hope that you are able to find someone that can help. If you are willing to fully commit to their suggestions and exercises, you will notice a massive difference for the better. Good luck!

I've consulted a few places that were suggested and their processes are pretty much the same with assessments and procedures, definitely not cheap but I'm just waiting to hear back from my work benefits to see how much of it they will cover. Coming back from injuries is tougher then I had thought and let alone the prepping for a competition.

zipdoa
12-02-2014, 01:57 PM
Definitely let us know what your experience is like. I am still considering going back to school to specialize in this field..

BavarianBeast
12-02-2014, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

You have an excellent knack of sounding like a know it all cunt. This is Milk2% level! :thumbsup:

:rofl:

Do you reaaaaallllyy think I care? It's a bloody online forum, I'm very well respected where it matters :thumbsup:

jaeden
12-02-2014, 02:32 PM
This will basically give you a list of local registered psychologists that have indicated what their special interests are:

http://www.psychologistsassociation.ab.ca/site/doctor_search_form

There are several listed under sports psychology but you'd have to investigate further about their experience, etc.

JRSC00LUDE
12-02-2014, 02:34 PM
Do you reaaaaallllyy think I care? It's a bloody online forum, I'm very well respected where it matters :thumbsup:

Where, the "Eat a Bag of Dicks Olympics"? I'm sure you can lift the heaviest sack! :poosie:

Good luck with getting back in the ring OP! :thumbsup:

BavarianBeast
12-02-2014, 02:38 PM
Nah, the golf and country club, glencoe club, you know, the places you'll never be privileged enough to see the inside of. :poosie:

zipdoa
12-02-2014, 02:45 PM
Nah, the golf and country club, glencoe club, you know, the places you'll never be privileged enough to see the inside of. :poosie:

nothing says privileged like curling with seniors.

killramos
12-02-2014, 02:57 PM

:rolleyes:

Was that really necessary bud?

BavarianBeast
12-02-2014, 03:03 PM
wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep

JRSC00LUDE
12-02-2014, 03:05 PM
wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep

Says the guy whose fragile little ego won't let him stop replying! :rofl:

:hijack:

Would love to keep going but OBVIOUSLY I can't swim in your pool, too shallow!

Lex350
12-02-2014, 03:58 PM

not helping yourself. In fact you are just giving us more insight to how much of a db your are here and most likely everywhere else. Hey everybody, bow down, this asshat belongs to the Glencoe club.

BrknFngrs
12-02-2014, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by killramos

:rolleyes:

Was that really necessary bud?

How else is he suppose to let people know that his parents got him to where he is today? ;)

tomt64
12-04-2014, 12:01 PM
PM'd jabjab

max_boost
12-04-2014, 12:35 PM
Nah, the golf and country club, glencoe club, you know, the places you'll never be privileged enough to see the inside of. :poosie: :rofl: Stay classy bro. :thumbsup:

Dave P
12-04-2014, 02:01 PM

#JanitorLife

rx7boi
12-04-2014, 02:19 PM

It's BavarianBeast, you can't ever expect too much out of him anyway.

R154
12-04-2014, 05:08 PM
JRSC00LDUDE literally SAVED someones life. As in from drowning. Saved.

He is to busy being sat at the petroleum club to care about the broke ass glencoe.

I bet your e46 looks real cool there, though. :rofl: