PDA

View Full Version : Downtown Business Lunch Thread

freshprince1
12-02-2014, 02:28 PM
Did a quick search and didn't see anything like this....thought I'd give it a try. I host quite a lot of business lunches for clients downtown, and am getting tired of looking through Google maps for some good locations. It would be great to get some new location ideas and reviews.

How about we post a few locations that you have enjoyed that would be appropriate for business lunches...I'll start with a couple favourites:

Palomino Smokehouse - This is a great place for more of a casual lunch. Ideal for clients that you have a good relationship with due to its decor. Great BBQ menu if you like that.

Black Betty Burger & Wine Bar - This gets very busy, but is great for a quick lunch. Smaller menu with great food. It has a bit of an old bluesy rock and roll vibe to it. Again, more of a business casual lunch.

killramos
12-02-2014, 02:46 PM
Around me it usually goes:

Ceilis

Joeys

Barley Mill

Caesers

Ho Wan

Not in any order some are more appropriate for different things than others.

All are good food, vary in price. Usually easy enough to book / get a table.

When i was at another end of town:

Rush ( flame suit on)

Sukiyaki House

Murrietas

Oriental Phoenix

Earls

Again nothing unique but never been disappointing.

I find that the energy world is Calgary is casual enough that just about anywhere is appropriate. I like to keep smaller lunches to more reasonable prices though when i run my expenses through.

ExtraSlow
12-02-2014, 02:50 PM
I use opentable to find lunches when I'm entertaining clients. Takes some of the guesswork out of it. Honestly, I find the Ceilis/earls/joeys thing to be overdone, although you'll still find me there.

Depends on what kind of lunch it is. If you're looking for a burger and pint kind of place, the Bear and kilt is probably my favourite. Slightly better ambiance is Escoba, Saltlik, Buchannans, Catch.

I like Koto sushi house on 4th ave. Not too pretentious like Ki, but solid quality sushi.

lasimmon
12-02-2014, 03:00 PM
Boudoir Rouge has really good burgers...

Ceasers/Joeys/Ki/Koto are my go to's

quick_scar
12-02-2014, 03:03 PM
Buddy and I visit the Mango Shiva lunch buffet every couple months. We find it better then glory of India if your looking for a buffet.

They do offer a full lunch menu if your not looking for a buffet.

schocker
12-02-2014, 03:17 PM
My neck of the woods in SW:
Double Zero, Ceasers, Keg, Joeys, Barley Mill, Briggs, Local on 8th, Local 522, Ki, Buchanan's, Ceilis, Earls/Vlounge

My favorites from those are probably local on 8th and caesers, local gets pretty loud though if you have to discuss things and caesers is kind of dated now. Just waiting for Hys and Cactus Club to open! :D

lasimmon
12-02-2014, 03:19 PM
Local on 8th has terrible food and selection.

Waitresses are nice though.

ExtraSlow
12-02-2014, 03:28 PM
Very excited for Hy's to open. I used to like it more than Ceasars back in the day, plus it's reasonably close to my office.

schocker
12-02-2014, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon

I only get the fish and chips and it is great! Banana pancakes also for breakfast is awesome. :rofl:

JfuckinC
12-02-2014, 05:24 PM

Bingo.

Can't wait to see what Cactus has to offer :drool:

riander5
12-02-2014, 05:44 PM

Really? I find the opposite... as long as you aren't expecting a steak or ribs, burgers and chicken sandwich are great... chicken tacos... gyozas (obviously same as joeys)

Beer is cheap and plentiful, but that doesn't really matter if you are with a vendor haha

freshprince1
12-02-2014, 05:48 PM
Anyone tried Trib Steakhouse? Just booked a lunch with a client there next week. Menu looked great.

sneek
12-02-2014, 06:17 PM

I have always had a good experience with the food there. They have a great spicy burger and pretty good chicken tacos.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Very excited for Hy's to open. I used to like it more than Ceasars back in the day, plus it's reasonably close to my office.
+1
They keep on pushing back their opening date!

Fly Fishin'
12-02-2014, 06:18 PM
Wine-Os is good and there is a new Indian place in palliser north that I really like.

adamc
12-02-2014, 06:32 PM
I had a nice lunch with Pacman not too long ago, at Cucina on 8th.
Nice atmosphere food was tasty, definitely mostly suits during the week.

Barcelona (the old Belgo) just opened up right next door, will have to check that out soon as well.

roopi
12-02-2014, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

Bingo.

Can't wait to see what Cactus has to offer :drool:

Offer in waitresses? Because their food is the same as Earls/Joeys/etc.

ExtraSlow
12-02-2014, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by freshprince1
Anyone tried Trib Steakhouse? Just booked a lunch with a client there next week. Menu looked great.
I haven't been to Trib in a while, but it was solid when I was there last.

Cucina is a funky spot, fun for a "foodie" type breakfast too.

sabad66
12-02-2014, 10:06 PM
Where is Hy's going to be?

A couple that haven't been mentioned that are pretty good value:

- Royal India (not quite as good as mango shiva but slightly cheaper and still very good)
- Japanese Village (lunch special is good value @ ~$15. But try to sit away from normal tables otherwise your clothes will stink)

Asian_defender
12-02-2014, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by freshprince1

I went there for big taste back in March and it was so-so.
Nothing stuck out so I haven't been back but then again it was big taste

sneek
12-03-2014, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by sabad66
Where is Hy's going to be?

Steven Ave and 3rd, I believe they are hoping for a mid December open.

killramos
12-03-2014, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by roopi

Offer in waitresses? Because their food is the same as Earls/Joeys/etc.

Because BBQ Duck Clubhouse yo! :drool:

I love Cactus, its different than standard joeys or earls IMO. Refreshing.

ExtraSlow
01-05-2015, 10:49 AM
Ate at Hy's right before Christmas. Didn't have a reso, and got seated at the bar. Not my favourite way to eat a nice meal.
Seems like the servers need some more training, twice the food-runner-guy tried to give us someone else's meals. The bartender was good, and recommended a nice bottle of wine.
Cheese bread was excellent, although it's not like it's that hard to do. Steaks were good.
I will be back, but I'll make a reso next time to make sure I get a real table.

flipstah
01-05-2015, 10:53 AM

Ate at Hy's right before Christmas. Didn't have a reso, and got seated at the bar. Not my favourite way to eat a nice meal.
Seems like the servers need some more training, twice the food-runner-guy tried to give us someone else's meals. The bartender was good, and recommended a nice bottle of wine.
Cheese bread was excellent, although it's not like it's that hard to do. Steaks were good.
I will be back, but I'll make a reso next time to make sure I get a real table.

That's typical of any new restaurant opening. Have to get the kinks out before it becomes a well-oiled machine.

msommers
01-05-2015, 11:06 AM
+1 for Escoba and Wine-Ohs.

Sorath
01-05-2015, 02:10 PM
charcut in&out 45min :drool:

Canmorite
01-05-2015, 02:21 PM
Stoked for Cactus Club to open. More a fan of their servers than the food, but whatever haha. I'm in Bankers Hall, if anyone is down to go when they open shoot me a PM.

jwslam
01-05-2015, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite
Stoked for Cactus Club to open. More a fan of their servers than the food, but whatever haha. I'm in Bankers Hall, if anyone is down to go when they open shoot me a PM.
Also @ bankers'. I'm in.

ExtraSlow
01-05-2015, 02:48 PM
I'm near enough to bankers. I could be in. If any of you chumps have engineering or geoscience O&G jobs, I might even buy your meal. . .

jwslam
01-05-2015, 03:15 PM
I'm near enough to bankers. I could be in. If any of you chumps have engineering or geoscience O&G jobs, I might even buy your meal. . .
I do but I'm pretty sure buying my meal won't do you any good, unless you're in a very specific line of business in which case I could be your next $1m client.

ExtraSlow
01-05-2015, 03:29 PM
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

R154
01-08-2015, 04:01 PM
Does Power Generation count Extra? Ill bring patek.wis. We always have some sort of project going. ;)

killramos
01-08-2015, 04:09 PM
I think this is a second appropriate time to mention...

BBQ Duck Clubhouse :drool:

Am i lazy if i don't want to walk form Eau Claire to 8th ave for lunch :rofl:

ExtraSlow
01-08-2015, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by R154
Does Power Generation count Extra? Ill bring patek.wis. We always have some sort of project going. ;) It doesn't.

Originally posted by killramos
Am i lazy if i don't want to walk form Eau Claire to 8th ave for lunch :rofl: You are.

Neil4Speed
01-08-2015, 04:25 PM
I'll Join in, down for Cactus.

R154
01-08-2015, 04:29 PM
It doesn't.

Thats okay, we can afford our own lunch. Youre welcome to join us and ask all the questions you want.

jwslam
01-08-2015, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by killramos
Am i lazy if i don't want to walk form Eau Claire to 8th ave for lunch :rofl:
I take a car2go from Banker's Hall to Chinatown even though it probably takes twice as long as walking :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ExtraSlow
01-08-2015, 04:52 PM
Cactus? I could be in. Who's in charge of this meet? I never seem to be able to make it out to the foodie meets.

Prelude_dude
01-08-2015, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
charcut in&out 45min :drool:

+1 for Charcut

For a 11:30-1 lunch time you need to book a day in advance.

The 45 min in and out is so delish for $15 dollars. You get the daily sandwich and soup, parmesian fries, and you get a little bag of warm cookies to go.

THe $25 dollar 45 minute lunch you get pretty much the same thing, but you get the daily rotisserie meat.

lasimmon
01-08-2015, 05:27 PM
Koto sushi tomorrow which is nice since I haven't had sushi in a while.

Although I can't really remember the last time I talked "Business" at a "business lunch".

cyra1ax
01-11-2015, 12:55 AM
I'm looking at places to go for lunch on Tuesday....First choice was to go to Hy's since the person I'm taking expressed interest in going there but apparently they're the hottest lunch place to go since the only times that I can find at lunch hour(11:30-1) are in a week in advance...maybe the Opentable is messed?

Plan B has become Saltlik, but after reading here I'm thinking Charcut.....which one of the two places is better in Beyond's eyes?

TYMSMNY
01-11-2015, 02:12 AM
Charcut has an excellent lunch menu. "In and out in 45". :drool:

Sorath
01-11-2015, 03:06 AM
charcut > saltlik

ExtraSlow
01-11-2015, 09:37 AM
Opentable isn't messed, Hy's is pretty much full every day. Give it a couple months.

jwslam
01-11-2015, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by cyra1ax
Plan B has become Saltlik, but after reading here I'm thinking Charcut.....which one of the two places is better in Beyond's eyes?
Charcut 45min express. Hands down.

cyra1ax
01-11-2015, 05:52 PM
/facepalm. Can't get into Charcut either. What about Trib? I took a look at their sister restaurant Murietta's menu and it seemed interesting, problem is the Urbanspoon reviews are absolutely horrendous for that place. Just trying to avoid Saltlik if possible haha.

Edit: When you guys are talkin about the In and Out at Charcut, you guys mean the 25$ option right?

adamc
01-11-2015, 08:09 PM
I'd be in for a beyond business lunch sometime soon. Would be nice to put some faces to names.

canadian_hustla
01-11-2015, 10:04 PM

I would be in - I am actually a banker in Bankers Hall. PM sent

TYMSMNY
01-11-2015, 10:22 PM
When is Cactus slated to open?

jwslam
01-12-2015, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by cyra1ax
When you guys are talkin about the In and Out at Charcut, you guys mean the 25$ option right?
Both $15 and $25
http://www.charcut.com/menu/

(sample menu)

CHARCUT LUNCH ALL AT ONCE

In and out in 45 minutes!

CHARCUT daily soup, crostini; daily sandwich on focaccia; kitchen pickles; parmesan fries; bag of warm cookies

~ ~

Mixed green salad with house vinaigrette; daily rotisserie “spit-roasted and smoked” with parmesan fries; bag of warm cookies and coffee to go

hampstor
01-12-2015, 10:52 AM
I often do Blink or Divino.

Depending on where it is downtown, I'm down for a beyond business lunch too.

SkiBum5.0
01-12-2015, 11:58 AM
Chicago Chophouse
Charcut
Black Betty
Swine and Sow
Caesars
Trib
Libertine
Local on 8th for drinks
Cougar Met
Redwater (now called something else)

I'm in for a beyond O&G lunch - let's set a time and place

SkiBum5.0
01-12-2015, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by hampstor
I often do Blink or Divino.

Depending on where it is downtown, I'm down for a beyond business lunch too.

Divino has an excellent wine menu

The_Rural_Juror
01-12-2015, 12:01 PM
I think 89coupe is in Banker's Hall as well. :bigpimp:

Feruk
01-12-2015, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by SkiBum5.0

Divino has an excellent wine menu
Divino's Lamb Confit Melt :drool:

Canmorite
01-12-2015, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by canadian_hustla

I would be in - I am actually a banker in Bankers Hall. PM sent

Originally posted by TYMSMNY
When is Cactus slated to open?

I'll try organizing a lunch once they have an opening date up. The place looks to still be under heavy renos.

I'm down for Charcut whenever though! So good.

dirtsniffer
06-17-2015, 08:30 PM
Did this meet end up happening?

I went to escoba today. Probably the best mushroom soup I've ever had. Spring roll app was good too and a huge wine list to boot if the expense account can handle it.

I've been meaning to get over to hy's but haven't yet.

austic
06-17-2015, 09:36 PM
Had a few business lunches at HY's, Steak Salad and Cheese bread are top notch.

Canmorite
06-18-2015, 01:05 PM
I was waiting for Cactus club to open before organizing something, but then I left bankers hall about a month ago and haven't seen the progress! I'm down for somewhere else, I'll walk from ATCO to wherever.

gkAeris
06-18-2015, 03:29 PM
I'm curious on CCC too, its been "reno" for a long time now!!!!

jwslam
06-19-2015, 08:54 AM
Going to Hy's for lunch today; first time.
Recommended dishes?

austic
06-19-2015, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by jwslam
Going to Hy's for lunch today; first time.
Recommended dishes?

Cheese bread, and either a Steak or Steak Salad depending on preference.

dirtsniffer
06-19-2015, 02:22 PM
Went to trib yesterday. Was pretty good food, service was great. If I was paying I probably wouldnt be back.

lasimmon
06-19-2015, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
Went to trib yesterday. Was pretty good food, service was great. If I was paying I probably wouldnt be back.

That probably goes without saying for a lot of places downtown. Very rarely do I go out somewheres like that just to meet friends.

Canmorite
12-28-2015, 05:21 PM
I was waiting for Cactus club to open before organizing something, but then I left bankers hall about a month ago and haven't seen the progress! I'm down for somewhere else, I'll walk from ATCO to wherever.

Well CCC is now open on Stephen Ave. New Year lunch meetup?