PDA

View Full Version : Back to School Options

max_boost
01-03-2015, 06:55 PM
OK Beyond don't troll too hard here but after a lengthy discussion with the parents about the biz I think we are going to pack her in sometime in the next 2-3 years. 2015 marks year 20 and I think we are all kinda tired from the grind.

What are my back to school options for a 35 year old with a SAIT diploma in Marketing? Is that diploma still worth anything or has it expired? :rofl: Is it still worth a 2 year transfer credit towards a 4 year program? :dunno:

I need to do something and to make money for survival and compete against you Haskayne 21 year old kids for an entry level job :eek: However I have no desire to climb the corporate ladder or anything like that.

Say goodbye to the cushy family job working but at least I don't have to work 70 hours a week anymore.

I have some interest in finance, insurance, and maybe accounting. I really dislike accounting but they never seem to be unemployed.

TIA for helping a guy who has never had a real interview, job or boss.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

rob the knob
01-03-2015, 08:09 PM
your real world experience has much more value compare to school for two year for degree

what you want to do

i am sure you have good connection from job now. you seem like nice guy.

kaput
01-03-2015, 10:23 PM

ExtraSlow
01-03-2015, 10:48 PM
Max, first you have to figure out what skills you have that make you stand out, and what you really like to do.

Then figure out what careers can make use of those things.

You're a smart, successful guy, and a hard worker, but none of that will matter if you attempt something that you are poorly suited for.

Good luck bro.

HiTempguy1
01-03-2015, 11:26 PM
If the business your family runs makes money, buy it off the parents?

Why stop a good thing?

ercchry
01-04-2015, 12:52 AM
I dunno how you will be able to do it, thats going to be a solid 10 year plan to get you back to where you are now... you have some cash... put it to work. you know your industry inside and out, have suppliers, contacts, day to day operation knowledge. I'd say leverage what you know. Partner with some people that want to open their own restaurants and be the money guy and back end. Let them handle the 70hr weeks and just collect the cash for years to come

Cos
01-04-2015, 09:28 AM

A790
01-04-2015, 10:09 AM
Sam, your first step will be to establish what it is you actually want to do. There's no point in going back to school if you haven't determined that- it will be a waste of your time and money, believe me!

Look at what you've been doing for 20 years and establish the proficiencies you've developed. Have you learned bookkeeping? Marketing? Customer service? HR? Etc. Determining what you've already been doing will go a long way in helping you determine what you want to be doing in the future.

When I looked back at my Jacqueline Suzanne & Netfreak days, I realized that what I enjoyed most was strategy planning and developing my staff. Being in a small business doing those things was empowering because it was up to my to plan and execute, whereas when I managed a team of sales people at YPG it wasn't nearly as fulfilling because I was basically a small cog a midst a torrent of cogs.

Ultimately, I decided that going back to school wasn't something I was interested in. I didn't see the value in it as I had no desire to go into some kind of profession that was specialized. Instead, I leveraged what I had already learned through practical experience and forged my own path. That was right for me. It may not be right for you.

But, regardless, it all starts with you figuring out what you want to do next. Everything else will fall into place once that building block is laid :)

FraserB
01-04-2015, 10:53 AM
Import a seacan of TFWs and let them run the business for you?

Tik-Tok
01-04-2015, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
If the business your family runs makes money, buy it off the parents?

Why stop a good thing?

This.

Originally posted by FraserB
Import a seacan of TFWs and let them run the business for you?

And kind of this.

Take over the business, but learn how to properly manage and delegate so you personally don't have to be there 70 hours a week.

BrknFngrs
01-04-2015, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Take over the business, but learn how to properly manage and delegate so you personally don't have to be there 70 hours a week.

Definitely agree with this.

TYMSMNY
01-04-2015, 12:29 PM
Learn the kitchen in the next 2 years. No need to master it but you'll need to know enough so that the cooks aren't going to mess with you. Go to SAIT for basic culinary classes to get the flow going.

Tell your parents that you want to take over at the end. You'll want your parents support on this as it'll help with the new lease negotiations (20 years experience)

Negotiate with the LL for a 5+5 lease about 1-1.5 years away from the end of the current lease.

etc etc. (many finer points in between but you get the point)

Hire staff, create system. Hands off business with little imput.

Profit.

or

You could help TomcoPDR grow his business into a Billion $ company. :clap:

benyl
01-04-2015, 12:56 PM
Clearly, all of you who are suggesting he take over have never run a restaurant. It isn't as simple as you make it out to be.

If you can get out, GTFO. I left my restaurant days years ago and never, ever want to go back. Sure, walking around with $3-5k in cash in my pocket all the time was cool, but there is no life in work-life balance when running a restaurant.

Hands free? BS. Trust no one. They will steal from you. Even if you give them equity in the business, they will steal from you. You can put up cameras and cash controls. They will steal fucking $80 blocks of cheese and sell them on kijiji.

I can't help with school suggestions, but I can definitely tell you to GTFO.

TYMSMNY
01-04-2015, 01:06 PM
I've always calculated an extra point for miscellaneous loss in terms of food cost. You bring home food, you feed the staff, $80 block of shrimp.

If you can't count on the manager that you've hired then you've got poor hiring skills. You've hired him so that you yourself can have time to do other things. Do the books, make deposits, shoot the shit, play hockey at noon, go snowboarding for the weekend. etc. That or one could stay locked up in the restaurant and then complain about no life and not lose $80 in shrimp to bubba gump.

Depends on what you want to do with your time. Pay someone so you can have yours, or spend it all at the restaurant. If you spend all that time at the restaurant, how will you ever open up #2, #3 locations?

A790
01-04-2015, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Clearly, all of you who are suggesting he take over have never run a restaurant. It isn't as simple as you make it out to be.

If you can get out, GTFO. I left my restaurant days years ago and never, ever want to go back. Sure, walking around with $3-5k in cash in my pocket all the time was cool, but there is no life in work-life balance when running a restaurant.

Hands free? BS. Trust no one. They will steal from you. Even if you give them equity in the business, they will steal from you. You can put up cameras and cash controls. They will steal fucking $80 blocks of cheese and sell them on kijiji.

This. Holy fuck are you bang on.

max_boost
01-04-2015, 05:37 PM
I'm trying to make this decision in the best interest for myself and without money being the deciding factor. The more I think about it, the more complicated it can get. I'm not sure if I'm undervaluing or overvaluing my contribution, skills/ability and the people around me etc.

I have a 50% stake in the business. Depending on the valuation and selling price, I am going to walk away with a decent amount of money. Financially I will be strong and I am grateful. I will have choices and opportunities. This first career just fell on my lap and while it was confusing at times growing up I would not change it for anything. I just can't believe it will be 20 years this summer!

Those of you have been in the mom/pop business know how difficult it is to challenge the old school mentality. That has been my struggle working with my parents all this time. I am objective when I say while we are profitable we have fallen behind the times a bit. Due to language issues, comfort with technology, inability to recognize and accept changes in consumer expectations, we are sort of stuck (or I feel stuck). With that said, I can think of a few options:

1. Sell and move on
2. Buy them out and run it my way.
3. Bring in a new partner, new set of eyes and revamp things but we know how partnerships can end up.

At this stage in my life (and man I feel old for wording it like that), it's more about wealth preservation than growth and risk. I would be happy with a $75K job and free weekends/holidays. :werd:

Thanks Beyond for the kind/motivating words.

sneek
01-04-2015, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by benyl

:thumbsup: My extended family owns a restaurant and it consumes their life. They have lots of money but they are working 70+ hour weeks in their 70's. Restaurant life isn't for people who want work life balance.

TomcoPDR
01-04-2015, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY

You could help TomcoPDR grow his business into a Billion $ company. :clap:

Funny thing is, I should be the one making this type of post.

The food, accounting, tax, prostitution are all timeless industries. (mine isn't; I'm just temporarily capturing on labour starved Canada; in an unproven industry)

I wasn't gonna comment in this thread, since I know a lot more privileged information than the average Beyonder on Max-Boost's situation (don't want to breach his privacy on income/figures/etc); being that I've attended a lot of his life lessons sessions.

But, a lot of good points, and good brain storming. So for the sake of contributing, for others to use as reference. I just got to becareful not revealing into his personal info.

The thing is, while Maxboost didn't purposely type it that way, but imho it's a "loaded thread". Because his key factors are "I need to go to school/what course, so that I can learn a new skill, to make survival money"

Learning/new classes/school is about gaining new experience, and that comes with a COST (money, time, efforts)

Survival is about maintenance, economy of scale. (do exact same thing enough you get faster better, etc... buy in enough volume, cheaper)

It's like being a successful fisherman in the village, and all of a sudden wanna be a rabbit hunter "just for survival"

Are you looking for a career change? OR are you looking for survival money?

It might seem like an insult, but based on the survival angle, just gonna state something "stupid" here. So it's fine that the family wants to pack her in (cash out, sell business for equity $); but if you're using survival, then why not throw out some resumes to Asian buffet, Buffet yangtze, Ginger beef, etc... and use your family restaurant learned knowledge skills but work only 40 hours weekly, clock in clock out. (this is like a small town mechanic or bodyman where dad or grandpa had a small shop; but now it's 2015 and it's all about big corporations; so the highly skilled 36 year old grandson journeyman just goes and gets a job at the local big corp. dealership/nationwide bodyshop chain)... so that's the survival angle from what you're asking; cause there's a demand of the tasks that you're professional at, that other restaurants can and will hire for. (so are you ok with that wage?) And also, imho the word "survival" angle, you shouldn't need school/training for "survival jobs"

Not making fun of you... just saying how I view it as a loaded thread.

Ok, so going off to the schooling angle. (you want to learn something, start completely different career)... As already suggested, be prepare to spend time/money before you build the economy of scale in the industry. (schooling time 2-3 years, plus being bitch boy 2-3 years before you can have that "I've been here for a few years you noob" attitude)

If you're going the school route, it's the slingshot effect, you must pull back before you launch forward. (if all goes well) the further you pulled back, the further you move forward... and if you do half ass (not pull back enough), you won't even get anywhere (i.e. wasted degrees not finishing school properly, like you, I'm SAIT diploma too; never "used")

J-D
01-04-2015, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Say goodbye to the cushy family job working but at least I don't have to work 70 hours a week anymore.

I have some interest in finance, insurance, and maybe accounting. I really dislike accounting but they never seem to be unemployed.

TIA for helping a guy who has never had a real interview, job or boss.

The only advice I have is to not pursue something you dislike. There are a lot of things to consider - e.g. with Accounting or Finance... school doesn't end after you get your degree.

flipstah
01-05-2015, 12:18 AM
Usually, someone who's their own boss has a harder time transitioning to do a desk job.

Personally, I'd utilize your restaurant knowledge and work in the food distribution industry (GFS, Sysco, etc.) You can be a sales rep and pick up orders for businesses or predict pricing based on market trends, etc. You can maybe become a business consultant to help future restaurant owners and guide them to success.

You have 20 years in your pocket. Worth way more than a piece of paper IMO and I have a degree.

D'z Nutz
01-05-2015, 01:14 AM
I think the questions you really have to ask yourself is are you motivated enough to go back to school and stick with it and what are you trying to accomplish? If you can't answer that (and truthfully), you'll just end up wasting your time and money.

I know a some people who have gone back to school after being in the work force for years and many of them end up dropping out and going back to what they were doing because the pace and lifestyle was so much different than when they were working. All of them were going back to school for the wrong reasons. Not just that, but you'll be the old guy in the classroom and without knowing your background, everyone's going to think you're just some lifelong failure and nobody will take you seriously. Even the teachers! :rofl: (I'm serious too)

Like what a lot of people have said already, your 20 years of managing a successful business is worth a lot more than a piece of paper. Leverage what you already know. You just gotta figure out what you want to do.

jwslam
01-05-2015, 09:08 AM
Bring in a new partner, new set of eyes
I've worked my way through three restaurants over a decade and I feel like this could be something I'd do down the road, maybe not as a partner but like a "restaurant makeover" kinda thing... I don't think many people are very accepting of having their norm disrupted though. Seriously, I walk into any restaurant and I can point out at least a few efficiency issues (maybe with the exception of Pho Thanh @ 64 haha, they're well greased better than a tub of butter)

As to schooling: I chose to pursue a degree that I don't have full interest in but I knew would put me ahead into a position better than where I could be; not sure if that's what you want to do. At the end of the day I really don't think I retained any of the material I learned in University, but rather I was put into a mindset of how to go about solving a problem instead of being funneled information on exact problem/solution examples. (not sure if that made any sense)

Lex350
01-05-2015, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by A790
Sam, your first step will be to establish what it is you actually want to do. There's no point in going back to school if you haven't determined that- it will be a waste of your time and money, believe me!

Look at what you've been doing for 20 years and establish the proficiencies you've developed. Have you learned bookkeeping? Marketing? Customer service? HR? Etc. Determining what you've already been doing will go a long way in helping you determine what you want to be doing in the future.

When I looked back at my Jacqueline Suzanne & Netfreak days, I realized that what I enjoyed most was strategy planning and developing my staff. Being in a small business doing those things was empowering because it was up to my to plan and execute, whereas when I managed a team of sales people at YPG it wasn't nearly as fulfilling because I was basically a small cog a midst a torrent of cogs.

Ultimately, I decided that going back to school wasn't something I was interested in. I didn't see the value in it as I had no desire to go into some kind of profession that was specialized. Instead, I leveraged what I had already learned through practical experience and forged my own path. That was right for me. It may not be right for you.

But, regardless, it all starts with you figuring out what you want to do next. Everything else will fall into place once that building block is laid :)

VERY SOUND ADVICE!

Sugarphreak
01-05-2015, 09:23 AM

benyl
01-05-2015, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
I think the questions you really have to ask yourself is are you motivated enough to go back to school and stick with it and what are you trying to accomplish? If you can't answer that (and truthfully), you'll just end up wasting your time and money.

This just reminded me of something.

I went back to school and hated it. haha. I slogged through it and I am better for it. However, I was only part-time. I don't know if I could have done it full time.

I was working full-time making O&G money, still had one restaurant going and was doing my MBA part time. Managed to get married in the middle of it too.

I've toyed with the idea of going back to change careers again. I said, fuck no.

Once married w/ kids, your options start to diminish, especially if you want to keep your lifestyle. I saw many people in the full time MBA get divorced. You spend a lot of time with your classmates and not your family... haha

Your other option, if you want an MBA is to do the executive one.

max_boost
01-05-2015, 10:57 PM
Thanks for all the replies. The decisions I need to make are going to require a lot of life lessons to figure out.

Sugarphreak
01-07-2015, 03:40 PM

jwslam
01-07-2015, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
So, figure out what you are going to do yet?

My career is totally derailed at the moment, so I am thinking about taking a similar path
You can afford tuition with your property tax hike? :rofl: :rofl:

ercchry
01-07-2015, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

You can afford tuition with your property tax hike? :rofl: :rofl:

going to have to setup partitions in his garage and rent it out to fellow students :rofl:

Sugarphreak
01-07-2015, 04:13 PM

bjstare
01-08-2015, 12:40 PM
If oil prices stay where they are, I would imagine there's going to be a lot of competition for post-grad programs. Will be interesting to see what happens, because if for some reason things don't go well for me, I'd also be considering heading back to school.

GQNammer
01-08-2015, 08:27 PM
Im an old asian attending the ole mighty Haskayne :rolleyes: (graduate in dec 2015 yay!)

There's a lot of great advice that has already been posted but I would just like to add one more. If you do decide to go back to school, don't mention your age. The majority of your peers would treat you differently in group projects and would consider you an outcast. This can be a negative and positive thing but I found I worked much better when my group members didn't know my exact age. Just keep them guessing haha.

Good luck with whichever path you choose!

ExtraSlow
01-08-2015, 10:09 PM
Who can tell the age of Asians anyway? srs.

GQNammer
01-08-2015, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Who can tell the age of Asians anyway? srs.

In UofC? 3rd/4th year Asians get it pretty close :rofl:

msommers
01-08-2015, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
If oil prices stay where they are, I would imagine there's going to be a lot of competition for post-grad programs. Will be interesting to see what happens, because if for some reason things don't go well for me, I'd also be considering heading back to school.

This is my plan at the moment. Things are already competitive and funding is decreasing. Many professors in Calgary for my field were already overloaded and not really taking on students (even if I had funding) but fortunately I'm open to moving elsewhere and starting to get things setup now.

NSERC funding has been heavily cut too over the last couple years and is hurting profs who actually want to take on students.

jdmXSI
01-09-2015, 12:16 AM
Not much to add but I hope you find out what you want to do, Im kinda going through a similar personal debate...

Cos
01-09-2015, 10:47 AM

D'z Nutz
01-09-2015, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by GQNammer
The majority of your peers would treat you differently in group projects and would consider you an outcast.

Yeah, one of my friends who went back to school said the same thing. Anything he says in group projects gets disregarded cause all the little shits think they're so smart and they're going to change the world, nevermind that he's owned and operated a million dollar business since the 90's. If it's not in the text book or taught by the teacher, it must not be true.

Even his teacher accused him of handing in someone else's work for an assignment. After he told her he's been doing that sort of work for decades, she was so embarrassed she couldn't look him in the eye for the rest of the semester hahaha

Stephen81
01-09-2015, 02:01 PM
I seriously wouldn't worry about the age thing that much unless you're a weird dude or can't get along well with people, which given your background in hospitality industry I doubt will be the case. I left the restaurant industry after 10 years and got my degree, haven't looked back. I was about 26 when I started, mostly likely there will be other people close to your age in your program too. Good luck!

Sugarphreak
01-09-2015, 02:16 PM

Disoblige
01-09-2015, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by GQNammer

There's a lot of great advice that has already been posted but I would just like to add one more. If you do decide to go back to school, don't mention your age. The majority of your peers would treat you differently in group projects and would consider you an outcast
This is the same in real life work situations too. Keep em guessing ;)

max_boost
01-09-2015, 08:01 PM
The more I think about it I wonder if the shock will be too much for me. Not gonna lie I was always a 75-80% student and I had to work hard to get those grades. Yes I hate you people who were academically gifted :guns: I am not sure if I have the hunger to somewhat start over again :dunno:

I might just have to resort to charging the gf rent to help cover utilities/property taxes while I sort it out.
:eek: :D

blitz
01-09-2015, 08:23 PM
I couldn't go back to school. Hated it so much.

If I had to switch careers I'd buy a handgun and start selling crack.

AG_Styles
01-09-2015, 08:31 PM
I dunno. I figure if you were used to working hard at the restaurant, you'd be ok with school. School and classes are so easy nowadays. Students bitch so much and say they have no time, when in reality, they waste the most time. Certainly the atmosphere in school has changed to cater to the entitlement generation.

I went back after 4-5 years working abroad in Asia and coming back to the university, none of my courses were a big problem (MSc in CPSC). But then I look around and I see a lot of kids just freaking out over courses and exams. Just work hard and do what you do in order to make yourself efficient in the workplace. You'll find that school is not a big deal.

like my supervisors tell me, school is supposed to help kids learn to manage workloads and learn about the real world. Which really is nothing compared to hard deadlines set by clients that decide if your team gets paid this month or not.

J.M.
01-09-2015, 09:02 PM
I fucked around a lot in high school haha. Had the entire 2nd sem of grade 12 off, I just showed up for grad and I was out of there.

School is not for everyone.

Tik-Tok
01-10-2015, 12:15 AM
The more I think about it I wonder if the shock will be too much for me.

It's seriously hard to stay awake and pay attention after being out of school for so long. I had a 7 week course a few years ago and it made me realize I could never go back to school full time. Maybe a class or two here and there, but no way doing it 40 hours a week.

Kobe
01-11-2015, 08:44 PM
Damn, I was thinking about possibly heading back to school as well, but this threads really got me thinking as well now..

I did go back like 3 times after taking 6 months - 1 year off at a time, but I always only did it part-time to finish. I never used my MRU diploma for shit either.

Keep us updated on what you decide, really curious on the outcome of this.

Chemengsait
01-12-2015, 08:23 AM
I'm upgrading physics this semester and today's my first day, hopefully I still remember how to school.

The_Rural_Juror
01-19-2015, 09:37 AM
Lots of good advice in this thread.

Benyl is spot on about employees stealing from you. It's the restaurant industry, and good honest help is hard to find at that pay scale.

Tomco's thoughts on survival is true as well. It reminds me of a few conversations I have had with people who aren't willing to work at Walmart or Starbucks when laid off because they don't pay enough. Still pays better than zero.

I personally love learning but hated the structured learning aspect of school. Looking back though, learning the fundamentals properly the first time would have saved me a lot of time re-learning them in more advanced courses. Be prepared to spend a lot of time studying. Can't half ass school - you paid for it, might as well learn as much as you can from it. Meaning, be prepared to spend a lot of time studying. Not having to worry about "survival" money helps a lot.

You also want to figure out if the time and money spent is worth it. $75k/year for the rest of your life is a pretty low bar for a "useful" degree in university IMHO.

Undergrad degrees are pretty common in the white collar industry, so if you want to make decent dough and job security in times like today, you need more. Say 2-3 years to finish your accounting and another 2-3 years to get the CPA. No guarantee you will pass and you have to do the latter while working so you are back to 70-80 hr work weeks. That will put you at about 41 years of age with another 19 - 24 years of working life ahead of you...assuming alcohol and zombies don't ruin your life first. You will probably get better returns from being a Kim Jong Il impersonator.

FixedGear
01-19-2015, 01:38 PM
i'd point out, however, that success isn't measured only in income. if you need an education to land your dream job, regardless of the financial implication, then obviously it's worth doing.

phreezee
01-21-2015, 03:55 PM
Forget traditional 2-4 year school programs.
There are so many well paying jobs out there with simple certificates, or "certifications" that you could obtain. Try out project management, business analysis, or even realty. It doesn't sound like you've identified a "passion" so just do whatever brings home the bacon. My 2 cents.

Or better yet, use your equity to start a different kind of business.

killramos
01-21-2015, 03:59 PM
Have you considered real estate? Half of beyond is convinced there is nothing to it and you make an easy 300k a year!

:rofl:

R154
01-21-2015, 05:38 PM
As far as I can tell max_boost has 3 major aptitudes:

1) Identifying objects or people as 'baller'

2) Making/selling chinese food

3) Speaking in broken english

So basically you are qualified to be a mod in the marketplace. Does rage2 re-hire mods usually?

jwslam
01-22-2015, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by R154
3) Speaking in broken english
Career in Technical Support :bigpimp:

max_boost
01-26-2015, 04:58 PM
I'm so screwed. Might as well run the restaurant to the ground at this point. :rofl:

msommers
01-26-2015, 07:59 PM
Just sell all your stuff and live like a king in SE asia

jwslam
01-27-2015, 08:38 AM
I'm so screwed. Might as well run the restaurant to the ground at this point. :rofl:
Does that mean free food for all? :D