PDA

View Full Version : Hiring Electrical Companies

chathamf
01-11-2015, 07:39 PM
Anyone know any good to work for companies hiring apprentices? Most recently was working oil field and it obviously slowed right down. Not willing to wait for work to come up so on the hunt for a solid company to work with. I'm a second year with experience in resi, commercial and industrial. Been in the trade two years now.

Any leads would be appreciated! Thanks guys.

FraserB
01-11-2015, 07:50 PM
PM'd

Cos
01-11-2015, 08:06 PM

MGCM
01-13-2015, 11:05 AM
Bumping this thread, Im on day 3 of my employer not having any hours for me and i need solid reliable hours. Im only a 1st year, the core of my experience is residential finishing with a tiny bit of roughing. My preference is residential. If you know of any resi companies hiring please please let me know. Thx.

chathamf
01-13-2015, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by MGCM
Bumping this thread, Im on day 3 of my employer not having any hours for me and i need solid reliable hours. Im only a 1st year, the core of my experience is residential finishing with a tiny bit of roughing. My preference is residential. If you know of any resi companies hiring please please let me know. Thx.

Hard times are hitting quick. Damn cheap gas prices. :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

rx7_turbo2
01-13-2015, 05:49 PM
See if you can use this opportunity to find some work and experience in the service side of things. In addition to making you a more well rounded electrician it will also help insulate you from downturns in the economy going forward. Things don't stop breaking just because the economy takes a shit, a good service electrician capable of efficiently troubleshooting issues will never be short on work. The more skills you posses the easier it is for an employer to shuffle you into other work. If you only know how to rough in a house and there's no houses that need roughing in, well.........

"Solid, reliable hours" is a relatively new and unrealistic concept in the trades. Ask any older tradesperson, it's "feast or famine". Put in your hours when you can, learn skills that make you more valuable than the next guy, don't spend like a drunken sailor. From what I hear things are going to get worse before they get better, lots of pink slips coming I think. Hopefully it doesn't last too long.

chathamf
01-13-2015, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
See if you can use this opportunity to find some work and experience in the service side of things. In addition to making you a more well rounded electrician it will also help insulate you from downturns in the economy going forward. Things don't stop breaking just because the economy takes a shit, a good service electrician capable of efficiently troubleshooting issues will never be short on work. The more skills you posses the easier it is for an employer to shuffle you into other work. If you only know how to rough in a house and there's no houses that need roughing in, well.........

"Solid, reliable hours" is a relatively new and unrealistic concept in the trades. Ask any older tradesperson, it's "feast or famine". Put in your hours when you can, learn skills that make you more valuable than the next guy, don't spend like a drunken sailor. From what I hear things are going to get worse before they get better, lots of pink slips coming I think. Hopefully it doesn't last too long.

Yea things are pretty scary actually. It will be the well rounded tradesmen that keep their jobs, and a shit ton of one dimensional guys are going to be looking for something new. I've always wanted to get in on service and learn that stuff - but it's going to be hard to land those jobs right now as well.

MGCM
01-13-2015, 07:30 PM
Im still too new for service, need things like a toner and volt meter, stuff I cannot afford right now. Toolwise I set myself up for roughing or finishing, a good multi ladder too, fits in my rsx like a glove lol. I could learn more roughing, but I know enough to do it with a journeyman around. UG's I know the concepts but would need to be on a crew for a few weeks before I know enough to do it natually like finishing. I was also told later this afternoon that this is just a calm before the storm at my company, I will wait for a little while longer with baited breath hoping things work out at my current company. Id rather not lose my benefits.

Graham_A_M
01-14-2015, 07:03 AM
^ pm me what tools you need. I may have them that you can borrow. It'll at least help you out. I'm not using them right now anyway.

HuMz
01-14-2015, 07:23 AM
Get your resume out to all of the bigger companies in person. You can try signing up for the ibew which had always been short on apprentices although it will be a slower year for them. It's hiring is based on who is out of work the longest though so it wouldn't hurt to sign up and get a number.

MGCM
01-26-2015, 11:25 AM
If anyone on beyond is looking for a lacky to help them at work let me know as I just got laid off this morning. Ive done desk jobs to heavy field work, I can help with just about anything. Up to date WHIMIS, Forklift ticket, lot of various tools, hardhat, steel toes(boots&shoes), a phone with Google maps, and a car to get me anywhere in or around Calgary.

Cheers to lower gas prices and how many ppl have lost their jobs as a result:banghead: