PDA

View Full Version : To lift, or not to lift?

Brent.ff
01-20-2015, 02:09 PM
Thinking about lifting my Taco...not in a big rush, but wondering people's thoughts. I don't do any heavy off-road work, but wouldn't mind starting. Do a lot of backcountry fishing, so it would be handy there..plus the look...

Not too worried about resale, but assuming that lifting will decrease the resale amount? I know I don't want to buy a used lifted truck

Thoughts? Should i wait till my warranty is up before i even think about doing it? Do it through a dealer?

I see a truck like this, and immediately makes me want to dump a few grand into mine.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/attachments/2nd-gen-tacomas/307757d1421545060-lift-wheels-tires-finally-installed-im-stoked-img_4769.jpg

my truck currently

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/attachments/lighting/294762d1414034297-light-bar-install-lower-grill-opening-lightbar2.jpg

firebane
01-20-2015, 02:28 PM
Honestly unless you find yourself going through massively deep ruts or holes you should have no problems.

I would drive the truck as is and if you find you have troubles then look into a kit.

Dumbass17
01-20-2015, 02:33 PM
If you've got money burning a hole in your wallet, then giver.
If not, save it and travel!

JRSC00LUDE
01-20-2015, 02:36 PM
I'll likely do a small lift on mine in awhile.....it just looks good haha

4runneron36s
01-20-2015, 02:46 PM
I have a 2012 Taco with Walker Evans front coilovers, rear shocks, All Pro 3" leaves, AP control arms u-bolt flip and longer brake lines. I honestly wouldn't recommend WE as I'm not happy about their durability and after market rebuild support (ie parts diagrams, rebuild kits, etc) and the control arms have uniballs that need to be replaced often due to them being exposed to the elements. Technically my setup will give 3" of lift, but I've lowered the front coilovers to 2" (less preload means a smoother ride) and pulled 2 of the smaller leaves out back to match the front. I'm able to run a 285 tire with some slight rubbing up front on the mud flap.

I do not wheel my Taco, I have a dedicated wheeler, just take it shuttling to Moose or Mt 7, so my decision to lift it was 50/50 aesthetics and the ability to run a larger more aggressive tire for mountain fire roads. Install doesn't really require much technical know how, just a basic set of tools and a full day. Total cost was around $2500, which I offset by not getting the TRD Sport model.

JRSC00LUDE
01-20-2015, 02:50 PM
^

That's about all I'll be looking for when the time comes, 2" and a bit more aggressive tire package.

Sentry
01-20-2015, 02:54 PM
At my shop we primarily install Toytec stuff. I'm not sure if that's because it's actually good or because they offer a large margin for our parts department or because they're an easy sell due to being cheap. :poosie:

What do you guys think of them?

I've installed dozens of various toytec lifts and they're simple but seem to get the job done. I'm not a 4x4 guy though. :dunno:

Brent.ff
01-20-2015, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
^

That's about all I'll be looking for when the time comes, 2" and a bit more aggressive tire package.

Same. Wouldn't mind a few more inches. Add-a-leaf and toytec boss kit

Sentry, Toytec seems to have a good reputation from what i've read on tacoma world

Don't get me wrong. I love my truck!

Skrilla
01-20-2015, 05:44 PM
:drool: that color...

I had a the ICON stage 3 on my Tacoma, loved the kit. At first I had a small lift, but like you, after seeing so many big lift trucks I fell in love. It was worth the upgrade. I have since sold the truck for a Tundra, and will be doing the same to it. But I like to have fun with my truck as well :thumbsup:

Brent.ff
01-20-2015, 10:20 PM
Ya. So happy we went with the green. have had a couple old dudes ask me if it was a custom job.

Install the kit yourself?

AE92_TreunoSC
01-20-2015, 10:46 PM
Old man emu is the best that I've experienced so far, installed probably a hundred different lifts into tacos.

Be warned, many lifted tacomas have front diff noise, even with diff spacers, I tend to suspect its from 4x4 at high speeds all winter due to M/T tires. If you do lift, just keep it off 4x4 at high speeds unless needed.

Some dealerships that install the lifts will warranty driveline issues without voiding it. PM me if you'd like some information regarding a dealer lift.

Errol.
01-20-2015, 11:08 PM
Im running old man emu in my 2014 with a wheelers 3 leaf add a leaf in the rear on 285/75/16 duratracs. Its only about a 2" (maybe slightly a bit more) lift but haven't had any issue so far and I've wheeled a decent amount. Rides great and price was right.

The only reason I went ome is because I plan on going one travel once the truck is a bit older. If I were to stay close to this setup I would have gone with fox coilovers.

Skrilla
01-21-2015, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Brent.ff
Ya. So happy we went with the green. have had a couple old dudes ask me if it was a custom job.

Install the kit yourself?

I searched everywhere for that color when I ordered mine, but there was none available with a 6 speed. I actually got the install for free, it was part of a promotion from ordering the kit.

Biggest thing to remember when lifting a truck, do not cheap out. It gets tempting when you can do 6" lifts for $1000ish, but you get what you pay for. Spend the extra money, you wont regret it. My first couple trucks that I lifted when I was younger were all done cheaper (Roughcountry etc..) and although they looked good, they rode like shit, and eventually started to wear down.

There are many solid options for Tacomas, I can vouch the ICON Stage 3-4 are worth a look. That color will look amazing with a 4-6" lift and more aggresive wheel/tire combo :clap:

Sentry
01-21-2015, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
Be warned, many lifted tacomas have front diff noise, even with diff spacers, I tend to suspect its from 4x4 at high speeds all winter due to M/T tires. If you do lift, just keep it off 4x4 at high speeds unless needed.
The needle bearing on the LH front axle shaft is usually the culprit of that noise. We replace the bearing with a solid clamshell bushing (aftermarket solution to a Toyota problem). Definitely keep it out of 4WD unless necessary though.

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-8536125-toyota-8-clamshell-bushing.html

78si
01-21-2015, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Sentry

The needle bearing on the LH front axle shaft is usually the culprit of that noise. We replace the bearing with a solid clamshell bushing (aftermarket solution to a Toyota problem). Definitely keep it out of 4WD unless necessary though.

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-8536125-toyota-8-clamshell-bushing.html

Any issues with lifted tundras? 2008:)

4runneron36s
01-21-2015, 02:38 PM
If you keep the lift under 3" you may be able to avoid replacing the needle bearing, otherwise it's a really easy fix. Lifting an IFS truck over 3" is costly to do right and you start losing a lot of down travel in your suspension unless you go long travel, which is nearly $5000 and IMHO a waste of money (you can build a nice 80's/90's pickup or 4Runner for with a proper front axle).

And remember to put a shim under the leaves to get the differential yoke pointing back where it's supposed to.

Adrenaline101
01-24-2015, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by 78si

Any issues with lifted tundras? 2008:)

Factory upper ball joints take a good beating especially if you wheel, other than that the most annoying thing is having to do a body mount chop to fit 35" tires on anything less than a 6" lift

OP for a simple lift in the 3" range I would suggest just putting a set of KING coilovers on it if you plan on doing any light wheeling. Otherwise a Toytec/Bilstein/OME lift will do just fine if you're just looking for height.

blueToy
02-01-2015, 05:44 PM
Love the Spruce Mica :drool:

OP . Check out Toyotaworld for different ways to lift a taco. Some great advice on there.

Got a few buddies that have the OME lifts and love them. The Aussies know a thing or two about offroading I reckon :thumbsup:

That said, a lot depends on your budget and how often you plan on wheeling.

Brent.ff
02-01-2015, 08:49 PM
Thinking I'll be holding off until the job world gets a little safer. Thanks everyone

euro_racer
02-02-2015, 08:16 AM
I did the OME/5100 front and all pro rear pack (3" lift) on my 08 taco with 285/70/17 Duratracks.

It's cool looking and I'm sure it would do better off road now, but for daily use most of the time I really wish I kept it stock. If I was to do it again, I would stay on stock suspension and just upgrade the tires like you already did.

heavyfuel
02-02-2015, 10:00 AM
Lifted truck owner here. If I had to do it all over again, I would stay as far away as possible from a lift. You're only gonna get as much clearance as your diffs allow anyways. Murder on front end parts, bigger more expensive tires, the list of negatives just never ends. The only real positive in my opinion is that it looks cool. Mind you my truck is a Dodge which is garbage compared to a Tacoma but still, that's my opinion. Spend your money on something else.

r3ccOs
02-02-2015, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by heavyfuel
Lifted truck owner here. If I had to do it all over again, I would stay as far away as possible from a lift. You're only gonna get as much clearance as your diffs allow anyways. Murder on front end parts, bigger more expensive tires, the list of negatives just never ends. The only real positive in my opinion is that it looks cool. Mind you my truck is a Dodge which is garbage compared to a Tacoma but still, that's my opinion. Spend your money on something else.

Unexpected quote from you sir :)

I too agree... bigger tires also equate to poor fuel consumption and reduced compentancies for Towing

heavyfuel
02-02-2015, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

Unexpected quote from you sir :)

I call a spade a spade. Only reason I keep my truck at this point is, damned if I do damned if I don't. No payments, don't want em.

JRSC00LUDE
02-02-2015, 10:40 AM
^

I love the Dodge's. Only reason I bought a Tacoma was my not wanting a full size truck. If I went full size it would have been Dodge all the way!

heavyfuel
02-02-2015, 10:49 AM
^

I love the Dodge's. Only reason I bought a Tacoma was my not wanting a full size truck. If I went full size it would have been Dodge all the way!

Big mistake. Dodge=Chrysler=Fiat= Italians who don't know or care what is really needed in a heavy duty pickup. Throw a Cummins in there and everyone who wants to think they're a redneck will come running! Crawl under a F-350 and then crawl under a Ram 3500, then you tell me what you think. I was gonna buy a Tacoma but even with the seat all the way back and steering wheel all the way up my knee still touched the wheel going from pedal to pedal.

SKR
02-02-2015, 10:53 AM
I'm a lifted truck owner too. I say do it once to get it out of your system, and make sure you can go back to stock. I don't regret lifting mine but I'm not sure I'd do it again. I know if I do lift another one I'll be keeping all the leftover stock parts.

JRSC00LUDE
02-02-2015, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by heavyfuel
I was gonna buy a Tacoma but even with the seat all the way back and steering wheel all the way up my knee still touched the wheel going from pedal to pedal.

Geez! I'm 6'1" and 230 and fit just fine. How fucking tall are you or, do you have a 36/38" inseam? :eek:

heavyfuel
02-02-2015, 11:34 AM

Geez! I'm 6'1" and 230 and fit just fine. How fucking tall are you or, do you have a 36/38" inseam? :eek:

6'3", 223lbs, size 34/34. It was just a matter of an inch and a half or so. Too bad cuz I really don't wanna own a car, Tacoma is IMO the perfect blend of sensible useful truck.

ddduke
02-03-2015, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by SKR
I'm a lifted truck owner too. I say do it once to get it out of your system, and make sure you can go back to stock. I don't regret lifting mine but I'm not sure I'd do it again. I know if I do lift another one I'll be keeping all the leftover stock parts.

:werd:

I like the look of it but nothing drives me more nuts then the constant squeaks that seem to develop monthly out of the front end after the lift goes on.

mazdavirgin
02-03-2015, 10:50 AM

I'm a touch taller than heavyfuel and I don't fit in the tacoma either. Knees are right in the dash... Damn trucks made for midgets :\

JRSC00LUDE
02-03-2015, 10:51 AM
I guess it's true, I really AM perfectly proportioned! :D

mazdavirgin
02-03-2015, 10:57 AM
As for the OP buddy of mine got his Tacoma lifted by the dealership with the Toyota levelling kit. The front diff started making god awful noises. The dealers solution to the problem was to take it back out and refund his money. :dunno: Does not exactly inspire confidence when the OEM stuff doesn't even really work properly. AFAIK it's related to the front diff bearings but his started making the noise a couple months off the lot so...

r3ccOs
02-03-2015, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin
As for the OP buddy of mine got his Tacoma lifted by the dealership with the Toyota levelling kit. The front diff started making god awful noises. The dealers solution to the problem was to take it back out and refund his money. :dunno: Does not exactly inspire confidence when the OEM stuff doesn't even really work properly. AFAIK it's related to the front diff bearings but his started making the noise a couple months off the lot so...

I think Lift's themselves are "okay" if not overly agressive and done correctly with proper suspension based components.

Otherwise you gain no articulation benefits, and only gain body clearance, which will give you more axel clearance with tires, but nobody seems to do it right.

Bigger tires, you want the proper axel gearing
With a lift, you want to ensure your pinion angles are safe, and that you have the proper axel spacers, new A arms and maybe extended CV joints that wont' pull out at full articulation...

I wanted a leveling kit, but after talking to a few buddies who've had to rebuild their font end (well just ball joints and alignments) twice in 80k km... I just don't think its for me.

Plus I do tow, and I'd prefer to have my rear end gears with the right sized tires to do what the truck was rated for.

However out of all trucks that look "great" with a lift... I'd have to hand it to the Taco

Adrenaline101
02-03-2015, 10:55 PM
The factory Tacoma needle bearings on the front diff output are a known issue with a few choices in upgrades. Having a proper differential drop kit when doing a lift also makes a world of difference, gives you a good 15 degrees improved cv angles.

To do a "proper" lift on a newer Toyota you are looking at $1500-2000. Aftermarket coilovers give a much better ride and reliability, coupled with an aftermarket upper control arm that's designed with a lift in mind to get the alignment angles in check and keep excessive load off of the upper ball joint.

I forgot another annoying thing Toyota did. The tabs that hold the camber and caster eccentrics on the frame are piss poor and flimsy, if you actually offroad and happen to give one a good jolt they can flatten out the tab and throw off the alignment. There is a few ways to remedy this of course.