PDA

View Full Version : Photo Scammer

Cody D
01-25-2015, 10:04 AM
Edit: I'm a moron who doesn't understand space or photography.

blitz
01-25-2015, 10:16 AM
Care less?

Tik-Tok
01-25-2015, 10:18 AM
I have no real knowledge of celestial bodies, or photography, but....

From the facebook link:

it's actually my local observatories scope so it never moves. But if you're ever in the area let me know.

Wouldn't it be safe to say both photographers used the same observatory?

Cody D
01-25-2015, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by blitz
Care less?

Does it not bug you? Should he not be called out? I thought a group of photographers would care when someones content was being stolen.

Cody D
01-25-2015, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Wouldn't it be safe to say both photographers used the same observatory?

All of the light points match perfectly, maybe I am naive on this but even the angle is identical.

Unknown303
01-25-2015, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Cody D

Does it not bug you? Should he not be called out? I thought a group of photographers would care when someones content was being stolen.

:werd: Seems strange photographers don't care about possible copyright infringement...

D'z Nutz
01-25-2015, 10:32 AM
Is there even any proof that's the same photograph?

Most things in space haven't and won't move much, certainly not to the degree that we'd ever notice in our lifetime (as in humanity's) so it's not unfathomable that he really did take it. A 16" telescope is pretty big and people have gotten more with smaller equipment.

speedog
You want 'call out' a guy from Des Moines, Iowa? Really?

Honestly, there must be other things going on in your life that need as much attention as it would take to call out this guy, no?

Tik-Tok

All of the light points match perfectly, maybe I am naive on this but even the angle is identical.

Orion Nebula is 1300 light years away.... how many light points would change in less than a decade, and being that far away don't we pretty much always have the same viewing angle? (Again, I'm not a photographer, I don't know)

Here's another picture from a different person of the Orion Nebula. Using his own backyard observatory.

http://www.rocketroberts.com/astro/images/m42_17sep09_12x240_102ed.jpg

D'z Nutz
01-25-2015, 10:37 AM

The light points are always going to match perfectly. And the angle is not identical. Even the colour balance is different.

blitz
01-25-2015, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303

:werd: Seems strange photographers don't care about possible copyright infringement...

This happens thousands of times each day. If I got upset in every instance of someone claiming on facebook that a photograph is there own, you'd really have a shitty life.

Cody D
01-25-2015, 10:52 AM
Looks like I am dumb. Hulk Smash!

Unknown303
01-25-2015, 12:21 PM
rolling over is the answer.

Cody D
01-25-2015, 12:48 PM
rolling over is the answer.

I started finding a lot of other photos that all look identical to me, all from different photographers, all with the same light points and all with the same angle. Not rolling over, admitting I was wrong and ending my witch hunt, weighing new information and using it to reform my idea instead of fighting for a previous held idea that has been proven wrong and I no longer agree with.

What we said about being upset about stolen content isn't wrong, I still believe Blitz is wrong on that point, but I no longer believe that there is any stolen content to be upset about.

Unknown303
01-25-2015, 12:53 PM
I didn't actually mean that to you just in general to the people saying its not worth reporting possible copyright infringement on the internet because it will just happen anyways.

Cody D
01-25-2015, 12:56 PM
I didn't actually mean that to you just in general to the people saying its not worth reporting possible copyright infringement on the internet because it will just happen anyways.

Oh my bad.

Unknown303
01-25-2015, 01:03 PM
It's okay buddy :love:

blitz
01-25-2015, 03:00 PM
What we said about being upset about stolen content isn't wrong, I still believe Blitz is wrong on that point,.

I didn't say stolen content is ok, I just choose not to get upset about it when some random guy in the states (who I don't know) posts a picture on Facebook (a non-commercial setting) from a photographer I don't know.

I have more important stuff to worry about :dunno: