PDA

View Full Version : Golf Clubs - most forgiving irons?

D__
01-25-2015, 11:33 PM
Titleist AP2?

Time to upgrade the 40ish year old irons.

ExtraSlow
01-26-2015, 07:54 AM
I can't answer that question, but I would suggest you grab yourself a copy of the current golf magazines and read through the tests.
What you want is "max game improvement" irons.

Also, consider what ball you are playing with. If you are a novice, you don't want ProV1's.

Good news is that stuff for beginners is usually cheaper than the stuff more suited to scratch players.

GQBalla
01-26-2015, 07:57 AM
big berthas, ill sell you my set of irons, driver and a steve cameron putter if you want. I haven't touched my clubs for years

bjstare
01-26-2015, 08:30 AM
^If by Steve Cameron, you meant Scotty Cameron, PM me which one you have and how much you want for it.

@OP:
Go to a golf town (or demo days at a course) and hit as many clubs as you can. That's the only way you'll find out which irons you’ll really want to hit. I’ve read a ton of reviews where people love titleist AP1s and AP2s and I tried both of them, and they just felt awful to me.

Extraslow is right, you should be looking into the Max Game Improvement Category. There’s lots of stuff out there that you need to try, so I’ll only make one suggestion: don’t buy clubs without hitting a set of pings. I’m on my second set now, and there’s nothing else that feels as good.

And one piece of advice – don’t just get the clubs that give you the most distance. It really doesn't matter if you can hit your 7 iron 190 yds or 150 yds. Just get something that feels good and you’re consistent with. The distance will come later. GL:thumbsup:

GQBalla
01-26-2015, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by cjblair
^If by Steve Cameron, you meant Scotty Cameron, PM me which one you have and how much you want for it.

@OP:
Go to a golf town (or demo days at a course) and hit as many clubs as you can. That's the only way you'll find out which irons you’ll really want to hit. I’ve read a ton of reviews where people love titleist AP1s and AP2s and I tried both of them, and they just felt awful to me.

Extraslow is right, you should be looking into the Max Game Improvement Category. There’s lots of stuff out there that you need to try, so I’ll only make one suggestion: don’t buy clubs without hitting a set of pings. I’m on my second set now, and there’s nothing else that feels as good.

And one piece of advice – don’t just get the clubs that give you the most distance. It really doesn't matter if you can hit your 7 iron 190 yds or 150 yds. Just get something that feels good and you’re consistent with. The distance will come later. GL:thumbsup:

Scotty Cameron, that is correct. Proof of how much i actually golf.

I don't even know what kind it is. Ill take a picture for you

ExtraSlow
01-26-2015, 09:38 AM
cjblair makes a good point. Distance doesn't matter for irons, and honestly doesn't matter much even for a driver.

That being said, as I've had several buddies point out to me, the one thing that every club in your bag has in common is the guy swinging it. Working on your swing always makes a bigger difference than buying clubs.

BavarianBeast
01-26-2015, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla
big berthas, ill sell you my set of irons, driver and a steve cameron putter if you want. I haven't touched my clubs for years

I need a new set.. L or R? How tall are you? How much?

GQBalla
01-26-2015, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast

I need a new set.. L or R? How tall are you? How much?

5'8
Right handed,

i actually don't even know how much. Set of big bertha Irons. Scotty Cameron Putter and i forget what kind of driver. Ill take pictures and post them up. They are just taking up space in the garage

BavarianBeast
01-26-2015, 09:52 AM
Sounds like it should be a good fit, I'm 5'10 but 2 inches shouldn't make a big difference.

let me know what you figure they're worth and lets see if we can strike a deal.

ExtraSlow
01-26-2015, 10:47 AM
Unless he got custom clubs, they are all pretty standard from the factory.

Anyone who's got old clubs, grips are on sale at Golf Town right now. I had my set done for $40.

SkiBum5.0
01-27-2015, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast
Sounds like it should be a good fit, I'm 5'10 but 2 inches shouldn't make a big difference.

let me know what you figure they're worth and lets see if we can strike a deal.

I wouldn't buy clubs based on height. If you are serious about getting a set, go to Golf Town and find the most experienced guy in hard goods - there are a few of them at the North store. He will give you a free fitting that determines your lie angle (how the sole of the club contacts the ground at impact). He will also determine length, grip size and what flex your shafts should be.

It's not as good as a true pro club fitting but it will get you in the ball park.

If your lie angles are off 2 deg, that equates to a miss 5 yards left from a distance of 100 yards.

OP - same advice as above - go try and the sets at Golf Town. There is no such thing as the most forgiving golf club. However, Titleist generally has been more focused on 0-20 handicap players.

FullFledgedYYC
01-27-2015, 10:51 AM
Asking people what irons are best for you is not going to get you the best irons for you, period.

I would recommend trying out Nike Covert (last years model, should be cheap), and Taylormade RSI.

Hit them on a sim, say 10-15 hits each and look at the left-right dispersion as well as average distances.

I play the covert irons and they work insanely well for me, dropped my handicap by about 12 this last year. But seriously, you need to go try the clubs.

88CRX
01-27-2015, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC
Asking people what irons are best for you is not going to get you the best irons for you, period.

I would recommend trying out Nike Covert (last years model, should be cheap), and Taylormade RSI.

Hit them on a sim, say 10-15 hits each and look at the left-right dispersion as well as average distances.

I play the covert irons and they work insanely well for me, dropped my handicap by about 12 this last year. But seriously, you need to go try the clubs.

I'm using those same Nike Covert VRS irons as well and I hit them much better than my old crappy irons. They were discounted last year (this year should be even cheaper) and I got the driver thrown in for free. Picked up matching woods and hybrids for dirt cheap this past winter to complete the set.

Hit up golf town and just start hitting as many super game improvement irons as you can. The AP2's aren't SGI so they might not be suited for you.

theken
01-27-2015, 12:52 PM
Titleist are not "forgiving" at all, they have a small sweet spot, mis hits are felt and seen right away. Taylormade has some real nice forgiving irons, as well as cobra. I would suggest trying out a demo day. Best bet.
And which Scotty Cameron you have? Blade, mallet? Pm me a price

D__
01-27-2015, 11:58 PM
I'm reading AP1 714 for max game helping iron. The Ping G30 irons are looking nice as well.

Nismorphed
01-28-2015, 08:09 AM
Mizuno jpx 825 pro are pretty forgiving and on sale

88CRX
01-28-2015, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by D__
I'm reading AP1 714 for max game helping iron. The Ping G30 irons are looking nice as well.
I have also heard nothing but great things about the Ping G30's.

Originally posted by Nismorphed
Mizuno jpx 825 pro are pretty forgiving and on sale
And I wish these were on sale last year.... they would be in my bag if that were the case. They aren't SGI irons though, are they?

KLCC
01-28-2015, 12:40 PM
I would say Adam golf.....most of their iron hybrid (I have a12 senior set) are extremely forgiving. However, I read good things about Mizuno as well....it is really a personal preference kinda of question (blonde, brunett, ginger etc).:thumbsup:

bjstare
01-28-2015, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by D__

theken is right, Titleist does not make an iron that fits in the max game improvement category. Unless you've got a few seasons of golfing under your belt (or you're a phenom athelete) don't even bother with titleist. They wont be forgiving enough.

Nike and Taylormade offer wide ranges of clubs, and are easily available at a discount because they release new models every freakin two weeks. As mentioned above, you should hit the Ping G30. I had a friend who used these for quite a few seasons before moving to something more advanced. They're also widely recognized as having a very soft feel when hitting (which is good).

Bottom line is, go to golf town, ask for max game improvement irons, and spend time in the simulator. Find which one feels good.

On a somewhat related note - I have a set of lightly used (<50 rds) Ping i10 (black dot, std length) that I'd let go of on the cheap - they're just sitting in my basement. And also a couple nickent hybrids (2,3,4) with V2 stiff shafts. Same thing, just taking up space. I'll post in the marketplace in the spring, but if anyone wants them, make me an offer.

D__
01-28-2015, 03:55 PM
Pm me pic and cost for irons please

Pacman
02-24-2015, 09:12 AM
I'm playing a set of 30 year old Ping Eye 2 irons.

Probably one of the most forgiving, game improvement irons out there.

Mitsu3000gt
02-24-2015, 09:51 AM
I have Ping Raptures, and let me tell you, they can only be so forgiving before it still doesn't matter :rofl:

bjstare
02-24-2015, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Pacman
I'm playing a set of 30 year old Ping Eye 2 irons.

Probably one of the most forgiving, game improvement irons out there.

My GFs brothers both have these irons. They're awesome, I think one of the best irons to get better with; having said that, they definitely don't fall into the same category as today's "max game improvement" irons.

SOAB
02-24-2015, 10:10 AM
Lessons and practice. the best thing that helped me go from hitting 120 my first time out to averaging 95 in 1 year.

practice with a purpose. don't just go and mindlessly hit balls at the range.

JZS_147
02-24-2015, 08:10 PM
Forgiving...stick to cavity back. It all depends how much you want to spend really. I would suggest getting a decent set of irons, and getting them reshafted and set up to properly match your swing. Maybe look into getting a good quality used setup, and then reshaft them.

BUT like people have already mentioned...the best game improvement you can do is practise and lessons. Golf Dome is cheap, and open during the cold months.

JZS_147
02-24-2015, 08:12 PM
There is a really nice set of Miura 4-PW CB501's on Kijiji for $975. I'm sure you can negotiate a bit of money off too..

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-golf/calgary/miura-cb-501-irons-4-p-mint-kbs-stiff/1053436638

Pacman
02-24-2015, 10:22 PM
I would buy these for $350 (or offer $300). Play with them for a few years and sell them for what you paid for them (or perhaps even more, as these are the Eye 2 "Plus" and also has the sand wedge which everyone wants)

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-golf/calgary/rh-ping-eye-2-irons/568322546

Nismorphed
02-24-2015, 10:24 PM
If you want forgiving try out jpx by mizuno

D__
02-25-2015, 11:43 AM
Taylormade TSI1 sound like the maximum game improvement irons out there. Look like rescue clubs all of them.