PDA

View Full Version : Athabasca management courses?

carson blocks
02-02-2015, 06:31 PM
I'm in my early 30s and successful in my IT career, but am getting to the point where I'd like to move in to management, and I feel lack of formal education is holding me back. I have no experience with college/university and find the amount and type of courses overwhelming. I'm struggling to figure out which degree or path to take and could use some advice. Here's where I'm at.

1. I want to get in to management. I've done my time in the IT field, and just don't love the hands-on tech stuff as much as I used to. IT management would suit me well in the short term, but I don't want to be limited to only IT management. I'd like to be able to manage businesses of various types, and in the long term be able to buy/improve/sell businesses etc.

2. I'm honestly a terrible student. I'm smart enough, but didn't develop study habits in high school and again have no experience studying at a post secondary level. I do however want the degree badly and will put in the time to get it done. I am easily motivated to do courses I find practical and relevant, but struggle motivating myself to do useless 'filler' courses that I know I won't use. A practical study path would be preferred over one with lots of theory and fluff.

3. Math is a very, very weak point of mine so a course path that avoided math courses as much as possible would be preferred. I couldn't pass Math 9 or 10 if I had to redo today, so a study path that avoided the complex math courses would be preferred over setting myself up for failure with complex math courses that I just don't have the background to take on.

4. My high school grades are not high enough to get in to a traditional college. I would have to spend a year or more upgrading, or enroll in an open university such as Athabasca. Whatever I choose needs to be remote as well as I'm not willing to give up my day job. Is Athabasca a solid choice for someone in my position? Will future employers respect a degree from Athabasca or will it be laughed at?

If anyone has some recommendations, that would be really appreciated. I know it's time to do something, but have no idea what.

Thanks