PDA

View Full Version : 99 Chevy Lumina intermittent won't start

alberta_gamer
02-12-2015, 11:14 PM
Hi all:

Last month (it was maybe -10 that day) the car started great in the morning, but a half hour later after running errands it refused to turn over. Called the AMA waited hours for tow truck, then when I tried to show the driver the problem, the car started just fine. Took car to shop and they did some basic work around the battery/starter or something. Today the same thing happened. This time I was out of the city, I went to the local small-town shop (lucky it was across the street) and showed the mechanic the issue. So he took the fuel cap off and put it back on and mentioned possible vapor lock (I had fuelled up just minutes before). And lo and behold, it started just fine. He thought it weird though despite what he had just said. No sign of the issue recurring with several restart tests.

So anyway, is it possible that a fuel vapor lock might have happened? :dunno:

Thanks for your time.

anomaly2
02-16-2015, 10:40 PM
Its fuel injected engine, should not fuel vapor lock, checked for restricted fuel filter, no fuel or spark when concern occurs. How many kilometers on vehicle? Could be fuel pump issue. Does the engine crank over fine with the starter motor when concern occurs????

revelations
02-16-2015, 11:43 PM
For a 99 lumina, this could almost be anything. Personally I would start with electrical first as its the easiest to diagnose.

Do the plugs and wires look ok? Any CHECK ENGINE lights on previous?
Does the fuel pump start with the key?

spacerz
02-17-2015, 12:56 AM
It could be the passlock security system acting up. We have been having issues with the same system in one of our 00' Sierra's (currently in the process of bypassing it).

mr2mike
02-17-2015, 10:59 AM
My dad's truck had the same issues. Spacerz is right. Except my dad didn't want to do the bypass, he wanted to replace the security thing.
It's a hassle but can be done fairly easy if you have the right tools.
Airbag, steering wheel and combination assembly off and then remove the old lock assembly, carefully replace what you need and there you go.
Then run the reprogramming steps which does take some time. As in it's based on a time delay, of waiting 15min between steps.

anomaly2
02-17-2015, 08:40 PM
Ok 1999 Chev Lumina has a VATs theft system 15 key codes, just check your keys for a bulge on the shank of the key so you need to know the resistance of the key. This will be a expensive fix ignition cylinder and cut 2 new keys based on the 15 key code then cut new key to new ignition cylinder key. No programming required as key code stored in module The symptoms will be no crank when key turned to crank. This can be bypass with a resistance based on the 15 key code. The wires from the cylinder usually break due to constant starting and shutting off also the wires will have to be run down the column. Or you can test the "s" terminal (purple wire at the starter motor) with a test light to ground to see if you have power cranking at starter motor when concern occurs if you have power possible starter motor if no power theft system not supplying power to starter motor. Another thing is if it got tilt steering move in up and down and try cranking at the different tilt position and see if it cranks and runs

firebane
02-17-2015, 08:47 PM
VATs can be programmed out or bypassed. Its a royal pita when it starts to screw up cause its essentially a built in immobilizer that GM decided to use.

mr2mike
02-18-2015, 08:49 AM
built in, RANDOM, immobilizer.