PDA

View Full Version : Laptop video card dead ?

Boosted131
02-18-2015, 09:10 PM
My laptop card will pixelate on random parts of the screen, then blue screens usually .

Once it rebooted using the generic windows display driver and told me the video card stopped working ...

It's a gts 360m on an Asus gamers republic laptop .

If the card is dead can they be replaced simple like a desktop card ?

quick_scar
02-18-2015, 09:32 PM
It **should** be replaceable.

What model of laptop? Probably something like a G51JX-**

firebane
02-18-2015, 09:33 PM
Nope they unfortunately are onboard which usually requires replacement of the mainboard.

quick_scar
02-18-2015, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by firebane
Nope they unfortunately are onboard which usually requires replacement of the mainboard.

Standard laptops, yes. Something like a republic of gamers, or alienware that is a gaming/graphics focused machine, they can be a dedicated card separate from the motherboard.

firebane
02-18-2015, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by quick_scar

Standard laptops, yes. Something like a republic of gamers, or alienware that is a gaming/graphics focused machine, they can be a dedicated card separate from the motherboard.

Republic of Gamers is simply a naming brand not meaning a lot full details of the system will give more information but even then you'll be looking at the price of a GPU and service time.

quick_scar
02-18-2015, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by firebane

Republic of Gamers is simply a naming brand not meaning a lot full details of the system will give more information but even then you'll be looking at the price of a GPU and service time.

Yes, but it indicates Asus's gaming focused line of machines. Many of which use MXM standard boards (asus proprietary mind you, but still swappable).

I am not saying it will be cheap. They typically run in the hundreds of dollars and that is just the GPU board. Factor in a couple hundred in time (unless OP wants to take it apart) and it is going to be easily a $500+ bill.

Boosted131
02-18-2015, 11:29 PM
its the republic of gamers laptop with a dedicated gts 360m card. I can do the labor myself, I do I.T. for work. Just never have to replace laptop cards as they are warranty at work.

Where do I get a card for it then?

Model is G51JX

firebane
02-19-2015, 07:01 AM
ebay will be your best bet. You won't find the GPU in retail outlets.

Boosted131
02-19-2015, 07:45 AM
Is it an mxm board? Can I upgrade it or just replace it?

killramos
02-19-2015, 08:27 AM
Before doing anything open it up and ensure it isnt soldered in. Wouldnt be the first time i have heard of an MXM card soldered in when it wouldnt have been additional effort to make it removeable.

Is the MXM interface at its core normal PCI-E? I wonder if proprietary drivers etc would be a concern on a laptop. Esp if it integrates with onboard graphics for power savings.

OP make sure you get EXACTLY the same card

BigMass
02-19-2015, 08:29 AM
anything with a 360m in it is probably worth about $300 tops for the entire laptop. Wouldn't be cost effective to fix it when you can get a used G56/74/75 for around $500 which will blow it away.

Boosted131
02-19-2015, 08:41 AM
All I see on eBay is the 470m and 250m.
I know it's a dedicated card since I can disable it and run using the onboard display.

jacky4566
02-19-2015, 09:09 AM
WAIT! Before you go spending money why not try the easy stuff.
Open it up and thoroughly clean the motherboard and video card with alcohol. This will make sure its not a problem with overheating or poor contacts. Laptops are common with missed connections because they get moved around alot. Also look for any blown caps as these are easy replacements.