PDA

View Full Version : LF: Good Shop to take my 4.7L Jeep Commander

s_havinga
02-26-2015, 11:01 AM
Hey guys,

My wife's Jeep commander has taken a turn for the worse. I am pulling a code P0307 (cylinder 7 misfire) and barely runs, idles super rough and stalls at stop signs. I have replaced or switched the plugs, wires, coil, and fuel injector. doesn't seem to matter what I do, code sticks on cyl 7.

I also topped up the tank with premium gas and added a bottle of injector cleaner and sprayed some sea foam valve cleaner into the throttle body.

Finally I removed the front 02 sensor incase the cat was plugged off. Still no change.

I don't have the technology to do a leak down test and am pretty much ready to surrender to a shop to get this figured out.

Anyone know a good one? Preferably in the SE? Honestly this is the first time I have needed a shop as normally I can figure it out myself.

Appreciate any input,

-Stephen

bourge73
02-26-2015, 11:46 AM
Minute muffler on 32 nd ask for Ravi

mr2mike
02-26-2015, 12:28 PM
Can you try cleaning the MAF? Last ditch effort. I see your frustration as to why it's sticking to cyl 7. MAF probably won't change this.

Darell_n
02-26-2015, 02:09 PM
Chrysler engines run off algebra instead of a MAF sensor.

Offroad
02-26-2015, 03:49 PM
Rav or Broken Axle......BA are Jeep Fanatics/Experts

s_havinga
03-06-2015, 09:49 AM
So, as I feared, diagnostic are coming back with major engine issues "stuck or broken piston rings". Anyone on her rebuild engines or have a line on a 2008 4.7?

carson blocks
03-06-2015, 10:42 AM
Those engines were notororious for sludge troubles so maybe pull a valve cover on any used engine you buy and make sure it looks sparkly clean in there. Unfortunately due to them being a bit of a grenade, it seems like the wreckers want a lot of money.

I checked car-part.com and the best engines (with posted prices) that are currently listed in Alberta are $1995 for one with 123k at Alberta Auto Wreckers in Redcliff and $2300 for one with 51k at Aldon Auto Salvage in Lamont. Neither of which I'd find terribly exciting given the price, the reputation of the engine, and the value of a '08 Commander. There are a few other wreckers with unlisted prices so you might get lucky calling around.

I have seen 4.7 engines in Pick 'n Pull, if you're handy enough to do the swap yourself. PYP only wants $180 for a long block but it might take a couple tries to find one that isn't garbage. I'd personally probably go this route, but I have the space, tools, and lift for a swap. If you're paying someone to pull the engine from PYP, then paying a mechanic to swap them, it could get pricey if you get a bad one.

Accurate engines (never dealt with them) sells reman 4.7 engines for $2295 or $2495 for the HO version. $389 will ship the engine to Sweetgrass MT for pickup, and there is a $400 core charge which may or may not be worth shipping the old one to them for (All prices USD). If the Jeep is nicely equipped, in good shape otherwise and you like the vehicle and want to keep it a while, this might be smarter than the used one (assuming the company checks out).

If the vehicle is in shitty shape otherwise or you just don't love it, it might belong at the auction. You might lose less cutting your losses and letting it go as-is than the cost of the engine rebuild or replacement.

Kloubek
03-06-2015, 10:56 AM
^ Good answer.

I was going to say - if this hadn't been diagnosed already, it had to be something internal with the engine and big $$$$. s_havinga, you already did all the things necessary to rule out issue with anything else. (Nice work on that, by the way)

Good luck.

s_havinga
03-06-2015, 11:12 AM
Thanks guys, I will likely pull the engine myself and reinstall the replacement, I have the space and tools, just a little short on the time. Shitty part is I just bought this thing 6 months ago. Its has 220K on it so I knew I was taking a risk but I have owned a ton of vehicles in that range without much issues. It's in great shape with every option available in 2008.

The worst part is my wife had already started talking about selling it for a minivan about a week before things went south. On the flip side, I would feel pretty shitty if I did sell it and this happened to the new owner after a week.

Looks like i got some thinking to do on this one.

s_havinga
03-06-2015, 11:17 AM
Also thanks for the links carson blocks $2300 still beats $4k for a rebuild especially because I will likely be selling soon

never
03-06-2015, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by s_havinga
Also thanks for the links carson blocks $2300 still beats $4k for a rebuild especially because I will likely be selling soon

That sucks! I had 350K km on my 4.7 and still going strong when I sold it. They made so many...I'd assume it'd be easy to find someone parting out a wrecked Dakota or something like that.

BerserkerCatSplat
03-06-2015, 12:25 PM
Keep an eye on row52.com and check the local yards, PnP Barlow claims to have a 4.7L Grand Cherokee but it's been there a while. Their locations also have a number of 4.7L Dakotas and I didn't check for Rams. Do your research to know what years (if any) will swap, 08 is pretty new and I think they changed the sensor arrangements on the 4.7 a few times and eventually went to twin spark plugs and DBW - so you may actually need an '08/'09 long block.

Usual rules for JY engine pulls apply - get one from a vehicle with body damage, a straight vehicle in the yard usually means the engine is pooched.

s_havinga
03-06-2015, 02:06 PM
So the dealer has narrowed it down to needing a new drivers side head they are blaming bad valves. That's a little better then pulling the whole engine. the $1350 its costing me for them to diagnose this hurts a little though.

carson blocks
03-06-2015, 02:21 PM
So the dealer has narrowed it down to needing a new drivers side head they are blaming bad valves. That's a little better then pulling the whole engine. the $1350 its costing me for them to diagnose this hurts a little though.

More than half the cost of a crate longblock for just simple diagnosis? Ouch. IMO if an experienced technician is charging you 10.8 hours to diagnose bad valves, I'm hoping he's taking you out to dinner for a little romance first..

bourge73
03-06-2015, 02:29 PM
Well why bother asking where
to bring it if you just didn't listen and
went to the stealership? They saw you coming
$1300 wow

never
03-06-2015, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks

More than half the cost of a crate longblock for just simple diagnosis? Ouch. IMO if an experienced technician is charging you 10.8 hours to diagnose bad valves, I'm hoping he's taking you out to dinner for a little romance first..

And using a lot of high quality lube!

403civic
03-06-2015, 03:33 PM
Bring it to zero limits

s_havinga
03-06-2015, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by bourge73
Well why bother asking where
to bring it if you just didn't listen and
went to the stealership? They saw you coming
$1300 wow

I tried calling a few of the shops mentioned in this thread. Granted I didn't call the ones in the North as I wanted to stay closer to home. Not a single one of them picked up the phone. I was in a bind and thought I would try the dealer, they picked up and took took it in right away.

I went there at lunch today, he has it torn down pretty far, timing chain covers removed and valve covers removed. They are quoting 8 hours to replace the head which sounds fairly reasonable to me but when he started going through the gasket prices I just about passed out. They want over $1200 in Gaskets... I told them I was going to think about it but I am thinking I will get them to pull the head out and I will drop it off to get rebuilt at Precise and source my own gaskets and then get them to put it back together.

carson blocks
03-06-2015, 05:11 PM

They want over $1200 in Gaskets... I told them I was going to think about it but I am thinking I will get them to pull the head out and I will drop it off to get rebuilt at Precise and source my own gaskets and then get them to put it back together.

I'd dispute the bill and either take over yourself or get it towed to a different shop. They're fucking you. Not fucking you slowly and sweetly, but angrily and without lube. Another 8 hours on top of the 10+ already spent to replace the head? I know it's OHC and a massive pain in the ass, but 18+ hours seems a little silly. Is there a Beyonder working at a shop who can look up a head gasket R&R in the labour guide? This, plus the head service costs and a couple hours diagnostics and the usual shop supplies etc. are all it should cost IMO.

As far as $1200 in gaskets goes, I can buy a full master rebuild kit for that engine for between $500 and $750. Rock Auto wants $98-$135 for a complete head gasket kit. Mopar.com wants $249.00 for a complete upper gasket kit, of which you could throw out more than half the gaskets.

I'm not sure I'd trust the shop at this point, although you're in a tough spot with your car half taken apart and a hefty bill already due. Who may I ask are the automotive wizards you're buying a boat for?

bourge73
03-06-2015, 06:40 PM

I tried calling a few of the shops mentioned in this thread. Granted I didn't call the ones in the North as I wanted to stay closer to home. Not a single one of them picked up the phone. I was in a bind and thought I would try the dealer, they picked up and took took it in right away.

I went there at lunch today, he has it torn down pretty far, timing chain covers removed and valve covers removed. They are quoting 8 hours to replace the head which sounds fairly reasonable to me but when he started going through the gasket prices I just about passed out. They want over $1200 in Gaskets... I told them I was going to think about it but I am thinking I will get them to pull the head out and I will drop it off to get rebuilt at Precise and source my own gaskets and then get them to put it back together.

So you would rather stay close to home then go "way up north" ok then,
out of convenience you would rather get fucked in the a$$ by a dealership? I give up people like you deserve it.