PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian BBQ Restaurants

RedDawn
03-03-2015, 08:05 PM
Anyone been to the new brazilian bbq place - Pampa? How is it?

Couldn't get a reservation at Bolero so now I'm booked at Pampa. Wondering if it's comparable to Bolero, or if I should just go somewhere else entirely.

killramos
03-03-2015, 08:29 PM
I fond Gaucho much more authentic than Bolero as another option if you are interested. Never tried Pampa.

Bolero's pineapple is awesome though...

big A
03-03-2015, 08:30 PM
I usually am a huge Bolero fan but I was just there Saturday and it sucked ass. There were often fifteen minute intervals between servers bringing dishes. The Lamb and the ribs were both inedible because of too much fat.
They had to tell us the next reservation for our table is here if we could hurry and none of us six were full yet:(

ExtraSlow
03-03-2015, 08:31 PM
My Brazillian buddy always told me Gaucho was more "authentic" than Bolero.
Haven't tried Pampa.

sheik_yerbouti
03-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Pampa is just like Gaucho, but with a better beer menu, and a higher price because of its downtown location. Both have excellent quality meats, better than Bolero in my opinion. Save your money and go to Gaucho.

JVR1
03-03-2015, 09:41 PM
+1 for gaucho based on a brazilian co-worker taking a group of us there.

baygirl
03-03-2015, 09:45 PM
I also recommend Gaucho. They have a private dining room now that they take reservations for when the main one is busy.

dj_rice
03-03-2015, 10:56 PM
Pampa started out in Edmonton so looks like they popularity is spreading if they just opened up location in Calgary. Good on them. Was interesting watching their whole restaurant opening journey on the Food Network.

CompletelyNumb
03-03-2015, 11:53 PM
I was also at Bolero this past Saturday and I can confirm it sucked. Normally I love it there.

Disoblige
03-04-2015, 02:12 AM
Gaucho IMO is terrible. It could be authentic but I was not pleased with the buffet selection and all the meats more or less tasted similar and was over-salted.

With that said though, Bolero has gone downhill as well. I know we go to these things for the meat, but variety helps you eat more. They used to have really awesome garlic bread on the skewers, but not anymore. It was one of the reason why I enjoyed Bolero so much. At least they still have the pineapple.

Will have to try Pampa and compare.

Christian@IE
03-04-2015, 02:30 AM
I used to frequent Bolero but then switched to Gaucho when they moved to their current location and prefer the food and service.

I live within walking distance to Pampa and have been there four times since they opened last month. I can say that they don't have the rodizio selection of either Bolero or Gaucho. The salad bar is more extensive than either of the others but there aren't many items that interest me.

I'm a big fan of lamb, which I don't think they have, and they also don't have the roasted pineapple which is another favourite. I'm not sure Pampa is worth the premium they charge.

Dinner
Gaucho Full Rodizio: $40.00
Bolero Full Rodizio: $42.50
Pampa Full Rodizio: $54.95

Lunch
Gaucho Full Rodizio: $19.00
Bolero Full Rodizio: N/A; $21.95 Brunch
Pampa Full Rodizio: $29.95

theken
03-04-2015, 02:34 AM
I bought some dessert seasoning (pretty much sugar and cinnamon) from BBQ galore, bought a pineapple, seasoned it, BBQ'd it, and IMO was better than Bolero's. I had eaten Bolero's quite a bit and the last two times have been Meh....I think I am going to try Gaucho.

msommers
03-04-2015, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
My Brazillian buddy always told me Gaucho was more "authentic"

Exact same thing

killramos
03-04-2015, 07:50 AM
Gaucho's seasonings, meat selection, and buffet items are straight out of a Brazilian Churascaria.

IMO it isn't Churasco unless they offer Chicken hearts, Rotisserie cheese, and Picanna as well as a nice selection of pork cuts and sausages. :drool:

Why am I not eating at Gaucho right now.. Oh wait its 6 AM :banghead:

As another recommendation if any of you are hopping around Rio definitely spend an evening at the Porcão. They have a huge buffet to cater to the tourists there most of you would like :rofl:

dj_rice
03-04-2015, 10:54 AM
As mentioned before, from other friends eating there, Pampa has a much larger salad buffet options but obviously your just there for the meat.

ercchry
03-04-2015, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige
Gaucho IMO is terrible. It could be authentic but I was not pleased with the buffet selection and all the meats more or less tasted similar and was over-salted.

wtf you doing filling up on the buffet?! :rofl:

i find the buffet sufficient, you are not going there to eat salad anyways

the meat is a touch salty.... but it tastes like meat, thats the way meat should taste.... no fancy anything, just some salt and pepper and the right length and cook temp

been going to gaucho's since the old location, and there is really no better lunch out there for $20... and you usually dont need to eat dinner that night. just dont go when you have anything important to do in the afternoon :rofl:

also for dinner, they have free corkage on mondays

tenth
03-04-2015, 11:20 AM
We have a tradition to hit up a brazilian steakhouse everytime somebody leaves their job. We tried Pampa last month and, while the nicest of the 3 and pretty good, nobody thought it was worth the premium.

Gaucho and Bolero will remain the only two in our rotation. Generally most of us have found Gaucho has a little better meat but the atmosphere (no risk of being crammed up against another table) and pineapple at Bolero are nice pluses.

ercchry
03-04-2015, 11:25 AM
i love gaucho's giant electro magnet light thing in the centre of the main room, very bright... much class :rofl:

killramos
03-04-2015, 11:45 AM
Gaucho also has a canmore location, no better place to have lunch and see the mountains for a nice saturday or weekday off etc.

R-Audi
03-04-2015, 02:14 PM
There is another Brazilian BBQ opening in a month or two in Eau Claire at the base of the Rivers I believe.. Minas Brazilian Steak House. Supposedly the owners were involved in Gaucho initially.

Hope its good!

dirtsniffer
02-22-2016, 04:50 PM
Went to Pampas on the weekend. best piece of rib eye i've ever had.

Rump roast was my favorite. Prices are also lower than what is mentioned here, it was $45pp for full menu.

Salad bar was on point, everything down to the mayo in the potato salad is made in house.

soo good hnnngggg

Sorath
02-22-2016, 05:26 PM
neither. been to both and minas

and my vote goes to minas :drool:

schocker
02-22-2016, 06:01 PM
Going to have to check out minas since it is walkable from work at lunch. Anyone know what the lunch meat options are like?

buh_buh
02-22-2016, 08:18 PM
Been to Minas for lunch a couple times. Meat selection is decent, buffet is pretty good, they have stuff actually worth eating for a AYCE meat buffet. Was there with customers both times so didn't thoroughly stuff my face, but was impressed with the meats

D'z Nutz
02-22-2016, 10:04 PM
Mina's also has Brazilian dancing girls performing on Friday and Saturday nights haha

hurrdurr
02-23-2016, 11:29 AM
Just heard about Minas, having been to Bolero several times and seen it's huge decline in product I'll be happy to check it out.

Gaucho in Calgary was significantly less delicious than in Canmore but maybe that's just me? :dunno:

A790
02-23-2016, 11:41 AM
I prefer Gaucho to Bolero. Been to both at least a dozen times.

dirtsniffer
02-23-2016, 12:11 PM
Sold on the minas dancing girls. Now to convince my wife to try a different place next time, likely next year LOL

AzNxHyDrA
02-23-2016, 02:10 PM
+1 for Mina's. Went a couple months back and everyone was impresed.

K3RMiTdot
02-23-2016, 03:12 PM
I like Mina's.

Pampas in edmonton is better.

403Gemini
02-24-2016, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by big A
I usually am a huge Bolero fan but I was just there Saturday and it sucked ass. There were often fifteen minute intervals between servers bringing dishes. The Lamb and the ribs were both inedible because of too much fat.
They had to tell us the next reservation for our table is here if we could hurry and none of us six were full yet:(

I wonder if Bolero used to be better. The first time I went there was about 6 months ago after hearing raving reviews for YEARS about it. My experience was underwhelming. Hardly enough meat on their skewers when they reached the table we could each only ask for 1 serving (which we ate quite quickly). Lots of the cuts had way too much fat. And same thing, waiting between 10-15 minutes for another piece of food is way too long.

Disoblige
02-24-2016, 09:26 AM
Bolero used to be better, then they cut out a lot of items they used to have.
Their garlic bread on the skewer was one of my favorite items. It's gone.
Tres Leche is often sold out, so the only thing they really have going is their pineapple.

RealJimmyJames
02-24-2016, 10:51 AM
If the best thing about a BBQ joint is the fruit, that's not really much of an endorsement.

Kritafo
02-25-2016, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
Bolero used to be better, then they cut out a lot of items they used to have.
Their garlic bread on the skewer was one of my favorite items. It's gone.
Tres Leche is often sold out, so the only thing they really have going is their pineapple.

Agree it used to be so much better than now. I loved the Garlic bread on the skewer as well, they meat has gone downhill and the Tres Leche the past few times I have had it taste freezer burnt. Went to Pampa back in Nov had a great time, went for Valentines and it wasn't nearly as good. haven't tried Minah's but will be going soon.

I did forget how amazing the lamb was.. it was incredible and they have a decent selection of Brazilian wines

Maxt
02-25-2016, 07:54 PM
I Bolero'd last night. Food and service was great, but I haven't been to the other places for comparison.
The cooked cheese chunks and the sirloin...:drool: I ate so much, I wasn't hungry till noon today.

austic
02-25-2016, 10:45 PM
Bolero is still good but I think people think it went down hill as the cuts of meat got cheaper. There is no longer bacon wrapped filet, filet or rack of lamb like they used to have.

Still good but the premium cuts are gone.

Blue
02-26-2016, 12:14 AM
Pampa cheese bread doe :drool:

Cooked Rice
02-26-2016, 07:16 PM
+1 for Mina's. Went for my birthday last summer just after the lunchtime rush, so it was quiet, and the meat just kept on coming. Big fan of the chicken hearts :drool:

R-Audi
02-26-2016, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Blue
Pampa cheese bread doe :drool:

If you like the cheese bread there you should try the small cheese buns at Minas! They are about the size of mini cupcakes. Awesome.

max_boost
02-26-2016, 09:30 PM
Mina's FTW.

Hallowed_point
03-08-2016, 09:34 AM
Went to Pampa with wifey this past Friday for dinner. We were blown away. The quality and selection of the meat was outstanding. The service was impeccable. The salad bar contained items that actually looked appetizing unlike some establishments. Really enjoyed the atmosphere. I think my favorite was the garlic steak. The only minor complaints that I have is charging $2.00 for filtered water and $ 12 for a brazilian cocktail (which was amazing btw :drool: )