PDA

View Full Version : Where to get A/C Recharge or System Check?

micheal.m
04-21-2015, 08:05 AM
Hi there, I searched on this topic but the results are a few years old. I'm looking to see what shop you guys recommend to get my A/C system check to see if it needs a recharge. Does anyone know the pricing?

I saw an old post before where a shop will check the system for $50 and that will be waived if I get the car recharge by them.. I just can't seem to find that post or shop name anymore. Anyone recommend the RED TEK recharge DIY kits? I don't want to mess anything up but if the red tek recharge kit is easy to use than I might go that route.

Thanks in advance!

RickDaTuner
04-21-2015, 08:17 AM
100% no on the DIY recharge kits, as they will overtime finish killing your A/C compressor, and plugging up either your TXV or Orifice.
The main concern being that those kits usually have some sort of sealant in them that reacts with moisture, and will then turn the agent into a solid silicone.
the theory is that once the sealing agent hits the atmosphere it will hit the moisture in the air, thus sealing the system. It never ever works like that though.

Those sealants are like a plague at a/c shops, the problem being that when an A/C recovery machine is contaminated with this stuff, it will then contaminate every single veh that the machine is used with after initial contamination.

The sentence A/C recharge should really be made illegal, as there is no such thing. you either have an A/C Evacuation, or Charge. People are miss directed to believe that R134a will loose its cooling potential over time, and not be as effective, but R134a does not work like this, and in a properly operating system, the refrigerant will provide maximum cooling indefinitely.

A weak a/c system most definitely has a component failure or a leak, which needs to be addressed before a charge is placed back into the system.

I personally would recommend dealerships to repair a/c systems, or an A/C only shop.

If your system has been at 0 charge for an extended period of time, be ready to shell out big bucks, as the receiver/dryer will always be replaced in that instance.

Thaco
04-21-2015, 08:42 AM
last time i needed it done i went to midas at deerfoot and 64th, they were good, did what i asked, i wanted them to evac, then i changed my compressor and orifices myself, and had them recharge, did what i asked without asking any questions.. would recommend them.

micheal.m
04-21-2015, 10:02 AM
Wow thanks for the education RickDaTuner!

My A/C still blows somewhat cold but just recently when I turn on my AC I will hear a humming/buzzing noise only when the engine is on. As I speed up there will be a whining noise as the RPM increases. This noise is new and I never heard it in prior years.. it will go away when I turn the AC off. I had the A/C system checked by Mike Autohaus and he said it's working but he did not check the freon to see if it's low or too high.

The noise is more of an annoyance thing and I do want to get it checked out before it does any damage. Any feedback on this would be appreciated. I've read that low freon could cause this noise.. but that was base on one person's assumption and this is why I want to get my AC checked. The car is an 07 VW GTI.

Thaco
04-21-2015, 10:11 AM
sounds like the compressor, it typically works off a belt on a pully with a clutch, when you turn the AC on in the car, the clutch engages and allows the pully to spin the compressor, with the switch off, the pully freewheels... so chances are the sound is the compressor

RickDaTuner
04-21-2015, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Thaco
sounds like the compressor, it typically works off a belt on a pully with a clutch, when you turn the AC on in the car, the clutch engages and allows the pully to spin the compressor, with the switch off, the pully freewheels... so chances are the sound is the compressor

^this

Internal compressor failure would be a likely cause of the noise, but can also be attributed to an oil overfilled system.
an undercharged system will initially cycle the compressor, but then turn off once the low pressure switch notices the compressor scavenging air.

in the event that it turns out to be a compressor failure, I would have an a/c system flush performed, and a new receiver/dryer as there is more than likely a treasure trove of metallic bits hiding in the drying material.