PDA

View Full Version : Lug bolts vs lug nuts/wheel studs

speedog
04-25-2015, 09:47 AM
Lug bolts vs lug nuts/wheel studs - curious as to why some manufacturers use lug bolts versus the majority that use lug nuts/wheel studs.

Every vehicle I've owned has used lug nuts/wheel studs and I've never had any issues with that combination in over 34 years of owning vehicles. Never the less, please school me as to why there are two different but similar methods of attaching wheels to a vehicle and any advantages/disadvantages either may have.

AE92_TreunoSC
04-25-2015, 10:59 AM
Just how it started in Europe likely. I've yet to see a NA produced vehicle with it.

It can be attributed to cost, 5 less parts per wheel.

I personally do not like them, but there's no change coming that's for certain.

tirebob
04-25-2015, 11:02 AM
I don't think that one method is superior than the other in regards to function, but it is definitely easier for most people to change there own wheels or install a spare etc when a vehicle has pressed in wheel studs and lug nuts rather than bolts...

Graham_A_M
04-25-2015, 02:18 PM
^yeah I absolutely despise lug bolts. Having to hold up each heavy tire & rim to start threading the bolt by hand gets old fast.

dj_rice
04-25-2015, 02:29 PM
For Mercedes-Benz owners, theres a long pin guide that helps alleviate these problems for installation.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb2/190EvoluzioneII/Mercedes-Benz/W201_WheelPin2.jpg

http://www.schmidt-richter.de/Fotos/Bolzen_Radmontage.jpg

Strider
04-27-2015, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
For Mercedes-Benz owners, theres a long pin guide that helps alleviate these problems for installation.

I bought one from here (http://www.reverselogic.us/lug-bolt-guides.html) for my BMW. Helps a ton for seasonal tire swaps.

lilmira
04-27-2015, 08:54 AM
I don't find much difference between the two. You can sit the wheel on the hub temporary when inserting the lug bolts. Same thing when removing the wheel, just push on the center to prevent the wheel from sliding off when taking the last bolt out.

flipstah
04-27-2015, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Strider

I bought one from here (http://www.reverselogic.us/lug-bolt-guides.html) for my BMW. Helps a ton for seasonal tire swaps.

I'm buying one. Tire swaps suck on lug bolts.

I was thinking of doing the stud conversion with LocTite.

Tik-Tok
04-27-2015, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by lilmira
I don't find much difference between the two. You can sit the wheel on the hub temporary when inserting the lug bolts. Same thing when removing the wheel, just push on the center to prevent the wheel from sliding off when taking the last bolt out.

:werd: Anyone whining about how hard it is to get a rim up and bolted needs to check their man-card, :rofl: It's marginally more difficult, and you only do it twice a year.

I honestly prefer lug bolts because if someone over-torques one and it breaks, it's easier to remove, than to take 1/2 your hub assembly apart to push out a stud.

94boosted
04-28-2015, 12:30 PM
^ By the same token if you cross thread a lug nut onto stud you only need to get a new stud + lug nut..... a whopping $5 vs. having to replace an entire hub/bearing.

Tik-Tok
04-28-2015, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted
^ By the same token if you cross thread a lug nut onto stud you only need to get a new stud + lug nut..... a whopping $5 vs. having to replace an entire hub/bearing.

True, but how often does that happen compared to over torquing? I can't even see how that would be possible because the bolt has to go through the wheel first, which lines it straight up. Unless you somehow destroyed the threads on the bolt while it wasn't installed.

94boosted
04-28-2015, 02:29 PM
The way you'd over torque is usually the same way you'd cross thread.... impact gun. I've seen both lug bolts and lug nuts/studs cross threaded before.

SKR
04-28-2015, 03:34 PM
All farm equipment I've ever had anything to do with has always used bolts. It makes me laugh because I assume people who buy European cars are incredibly snooty and would hate to know their car has something in common with farm equipment.

I have never struggled with starting to thread bolts in, so I don't know what that's about.

Sugarphreak
04-28-2015, 04:17 PM