PDA

View Full Version : CompTIA A+ and CompTIA Network+

Teknix
04-29-2015, 04:10 PM
I'm looking to start my studies in the I.T field, and was going to start on my own with getting my CompTIA A+ and CompTIA Network+ over the next 12 months.

My longer term plan is to get my Information Technology diploma at SAIT. Plus getting these certificates in the mean time could move me to towards a role I'm more interested in at my current company.

Wondering if this is a good place to start. And also if anyone had the study material around I could buy off you!

thanks in advance.

codetrap
04-29-2015, 04:20 PM

OCDP
04-29-2015, 05:36 PM
PM'd you about textbooks, I know I have a few that are in great shape.

firebane
04-29-2015, 05:39 PM
The current A+ is a bit more difficult than the older one. It does actually have stuff that would make more sense if you had on hands training.

I have guys where I work with A+ certs and they are useless when it comes to any troubleshooting or knowing what to do.

The A+ will get you further than the Network+ but both are decent to have but don't expect that since you have them you'll make a ton of money.

cgyITguy
04-29-2015, 11:45 PM
That's a great game plan. Study up, rack up some entry level certs, go to SAIT, get some entry level experience, get some harder certs, climb the ladder

zipdoa
04-30-2015, 08:46 AM
FYI - I paid $20,000 to do the TIM program at SAIT. I ended up with a Service Desk job at Talisman, contracted through Mainland.

7 years ago, I got a job at Telus doing basically the same thing, working in Mobility doing Tech Support. I had zero education and zero work experience, making pretty close to the same money.

If I could do it all over again, I probably wouldn't blow $20k at school. I learned a lot, but I use about 3% of it in this role. I'm trying to find something that utilizes my brain more, but it appears they like to have you in this position for a while before moving you up (correct me if I'm wrong, IT gurus?).

Be very cautious of the expectations that education will bring you in terms of monetary rewards and job responsibilities.

carson blocks
04-30-2015, 09:49 AM
If you want perspective from someone who's been in the industry a while and made it a long way with just certs..

Those certs are a great place to start. I went a certification based route instead of a college degree route and don't regret it as it let me get working in the industry fast. The downside is for some jobs (especially gov't), a degree becomes expected and you might end up like me, slowly working on one part time.

I started with A+, MCSE, and CCNA and was lucky enough to skip help desk and get a field job. If you want to move up, a field job with a smaller company will give you so much more exposure and resume material than wasting time at a help desk for a mega firm. A small tech services company will generally underpay you, work the hell out of you, and treat you poorly but they'll take a chance on you and you'll learn more in 6 months there than in 5 years at a big help desk. You'll work on a variety of systems in a variety of industries and maybe even find a niche you like and have an aptitude for.

Once you're in the industry, if you're bright, ambitious, and willing to put up with a lot of shit, you can move up fairly quickly. If you find a niche, especially one that's valuable to Oil and Gas, you can make some pretty good money. There is no shortage of IT guys in this city, so you do have to work to stand out. Without motivation, ambition, or the people skills and ability to navigate the politics, you can get stuck in a dead end role pretty easily. If you can't 'manage up', can't deal with people, and want to leave at 5 every day and only work to the letter of your job description, you'll spend the rest of your life at a help desk.

The best move I made was to become a contractor, and to get in to Oil and Gas (even at this uncertain time). It's more work managing the business side, more stressful with the uncertainty of 6 month -1 year contracts, and you have to be really good at managing money so you don't starve in the lean times, but overall it's been way more rewarding than any salary position I've ever had. My biggest mistake was turning down contracting roles for years because of bullshit ideas like 'stability' and 'benefits'. My second biggest mistake was not starting this damn part time degree 5+ years ago.