PDA

View Full Version : Help with Bike leak plz

Hero_X
05-12-2015, 10:14 AM
Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a brand new CBR500 from Rocky Mountain Honda.
I just picked it up saturday then on sunday I noticed there was some oil near the kick stand. I thought maybe it was there from beginning so I moved the bike and checked the next day. Again, oil.

Please see the image below.

Can you tell what this oil leakage could possibly be coming from? I called honda and they told me to bring it in but I'm worried there will be more leakage and it might damage the bike.

Please share your ideas. Thank you.

http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y344/ricardosuavez/20150511_204051_zpseuxdznej.jpg (http://s1028.photobucket.com/user/ricardosuavez/media/20150511_204051_zpseuxdznej.jpg.html)

Disoblige
05-12-2015, 10:19 AM
Are you sure it's not gas or coolant coming out of the overflow tubes?

eglove
05-12-2015, 10:22 AM
If it's brand new - why not just take it back for inspection?

snowcat
05-12-2015, 10:22 AM
Do you see the little tubes by the kick stand? This is the fuel overflow, expansion tank and such lines.

I am willing to bet you're okay!

Hero_X
05-12-2015, 10:27 AM
Sorry, I'm new to this. Can you please explain fuel overflow tubes?

Is this normal?

This never happened on my other bike so this is so new to me...

And yes I am gonna try to get Honda to look at it but I wanted to get some ideas from here too.

Disoblige
05-12-2015, 10:31 AM
The 2 black hoses you see next to the kickstand, one is the coolant overflow tube and one is the gas overflow tube.

It's normal to see fluid come out of there sometimes. Maybe it's a hot day and the gas expanded in your full tank; you'll see some fuel drip out of the gas overflow tube. If the coolant reached past the Max mark, it might drip out of the coolant overflow hose.

It would only be a problem if this happened regularly. For coolant, check your levels and see if it's between the min and max line.

Graham_A_M
05-12-2015, 11:07 AM
^ this.

Hero_X
05-12-2015, 11:28 AM
I've only had the bike for 3 days and it has happened on at least two days.

Maybe it is the overflow. But even it is I don't think it's normal for it to leak every day....

I will get Honda to check it and make sure it's nothing else.

Thanks for your input everyone!!

Kijho
05-12-2015, 01:38 PM
Go take your bike and roll if forwards in your garage somewhat quickly, then abruptly stop the bike with your front brakes -- Watch those little tubes. Those tubes are for when you put too much fuel and when you move the bike around the fuel may splash up to the tank opening overflow.

You know how your bathroom sink has a little overflow hole? A bike has one too, it's right inside beneath the fuel cap. You can actually see some glossy shine on the bottom of the tubes in your pics - I definitely say it's coming from there ! :thumbsup:

revelations
05-12-2015, 02:09 PM
Brand new bike = burning smells and leaks of different fluids. I still remember my Honda VTR doing this.

MAKE SURE that as a rider you can tell the difference between brake fluid, coolant and oil - on the ground. Knowing this can save your life. Stick your finger up against one of those tubes and see if anything sticks to your fingers.

Also, do you know how to CHECK your levels ???? If they are all fine, I would ignore this issue for a few days. Chances are something might have been over-filled by the bike shop during the PDI.

BTW - break the engine in HARD (properly) and you will see much less oil consumption and improved power over the bikes life.