PDA

View Full Version : Workplace Dress Codes (or lack thereof)

Masked Bandit
05-19-2015, 09:45 AM
I think it's pretty safe to say that the attire of working professionals is different today than 15 or 20 years ago. My job for example used to require a shirt & tie which has given way to a much more relaxed appearance. Last week I witnessed a whole new level though. I went to see my lawyer and he was wearing jeans, a t-shirt & a hoodie. In the end, I personally don't care as he does a good job. He could wear a bathrobe to the office for all the difference it would make to me. But are there people that still judge a professional partially on what they're wearing? Are there workplaces out there that still have an old school approach to dress code?

Canmorite
05-19-2015, 09:55 AM
I've seen both and I definitely prefer a business dress code with a suit and tie. Seeing people who wear khakis, a golf shirt and sneakers to work just irked me when the rest of us are wearing a suit and tie.

When we get pitched by bankers or others, they are dressed very well. It helps with image for sure.

firebane
05-19-2015, 10:02 AM
I think "Dress Code" should be situated around the work environment. For example I work in a IT department and our dress code is khakis with a polo shirt or buttoned up shirt. Fridays is relax day and we can wear jeans with a polo or buttoned up shirt. We are also required to wear black/brown footwear but no sneakers.

We are not allowed hoodies or any hats or anything of the sort or we can be sent home.

lilmira
05-19-2015, 10:03 AM
No clothes can save shitty work. If you do good work already, why not go a bit further and present yourself professionally.

rx7boi
05-19-2015, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
I went to see my lawyer and he was wearing jeans, a t-shirt & a hoodie. In the end, I personally don't care as he does a good job. He could wear a bathrobe to the office for all the difference it would make to me.

:rofl: Younger guy in on his day off?

timdog
05-19-2015, 10:08 AM
I personally think dress codes are stupid, because there are always going to be people that ignore them or just barely walk the line of what is acceptable, and there will be others that dress very well and go above and beyond the minimum dress code. in my experience, working in several different professional office environments, this is always the case. some people are slobs, and some dress well. and I doubt it's a coincidence that the people that dress well are usually the ones who are considered higher performers and often get promotions or advance into management. the slobs rarely do. perhaps the slobs want it this way... if so, that is fine. but whether you agree with it or not, it is a reality that people are going to judge you based on how you look in this society. Given that information, I choose to dress professionally. the dress code has nothing to do with it.

timdog
05-19-2015, 10:13 AM
not to mention that even if the dress code was very strict, and said suit and ties for every single person (which would clearly be unreasonable in most cases), there would still be people that would either wear ugly ass shitty suits that looks like crap, or just defiantly not wear a tie some days, or take their suit jacket off the second they get into work, etc etc. basically my point is that dress codes are pointless and there will always be people that just ignore them or follow them as they are written on paper but still manage to look like a slob anyway. haha

jwslam
05-19-2015, 10:17 AM
I try to always wear at least a collar (even if it's a polo) when at the field office. I wear jeans because they're cheap and if I wear otherwise I'd stick out like a sore thumb. If I'm going to a meeting with operators, I put on my PPE even though I'm not going anywhere.

In the Calgary office it's "business casual". I see people in the weirdest things. For me: dress shirt and dress pants mon-thur; I also decided that since I have a tie obsession I instituted tie tuesdays/thursdays for myself. On casual fridays I do what I do for field.

Apparently they had to write into the policy that no "yoga attire" is permitted, yet the other day I saw corporate branding on a guy's lululemon jacket.
I've also seen a guy walk in on friday with a Hawaiin shirt, khaki shorts, and a corporately branded backpack. The backpack was what irked me.

Things I've seen as "business casual" (i'll try and expand as i recall):
-Woman in capris
-Same woman in sneakers
-Guys wearing black runners
-Golf shirts galore

DENZILDON
05-19-2015, 10:26 AM
I think it really depends on the line of Job you do.

Law office, doctor's office, etc. Business Attire is a must.

Backoffice, admin, call center, any work that doesn't require face to face with clients, I think casual should be fine.

Masked Bandit
05-19-2015, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by rx7boi

:rofl: Younger guy in on his day off?

Nope, 20 year man on a random Wednesday afternoon. I suspect that like my office, he rarely has clients in the office. It's all email / phone / fax. I probably only have someone in my office twice in a three week stretch but I deal with 30 - 40 clients a day.

I have to say that I was not expecting Beyond as a whole to support a higher standard of business attire.

ercchry
05-19-2015, 10:43 AM
i'd like to see it go back to the days of old... but thats just cause i actually like wearing suits, i rarely do wear them though (and never to the office) cause people always comment about it like im some sort of weirdo

around here even though we are way out in the country we have a no jeans rule... which doesnt help anything, cause cargo pants, sneakers, and a golf shirt are not jeans :rofl:

Tik-Tok
05-19-2015, 10:50 AM
If you have a professional career, and meet with clients, you should be dressed for business IMO.

If my doctor, dentist, or financial manager came into the room like that, I'd be leaving and taking my business elsewhere. This would include a lawyer if I had one.

lasimmon
05-19-2015, 10:56 AM
Summer I usually wear jeans and a golf shirt, or a dress shirt if its a colder/rainy day.

But personally it really means nothing to me. It doesn't matter what someones "image" is if they suck at their job.

Also its a lot easier to sneak off to the golf course in a golf shirt in the afternoon.

sputnik
05-19-2015, 10:59 AM
I don't care what people wear. Just do the thing I want you to do for the price I want you to do it.

Some of the most skilled people I know dress like slobs. I would rather have them on my team than some clean cut well dressed bullshitter who kissed ass all the way up the corporate ladder.

Your ability to buy a suit, get a shirt dry cleaned and tie a tie does nothing for me in the long run.

Mitsu3000gt
05-19-2015, 11:00 AM
Women can pretty well wear whatever they want, and if they dress "questionably", the only people who seem to care are a few other women in the office. They easily get away with bare legs, sandals, capri's, short skirts, low tops, etc. (not that I am complaining).

For guys, I couldn't possibly care less what people wear to work, but if you are meeting clients face-to-face, I think it's good that there is generally an expectation for better dress. Most people probably don't care, but you still don't want to put-off the ones that might. Bankers often have to wear suits, which probably makes sense since you are dealing with other people's money and personal details, so the image is important to some clients.

For jobs of higher standing, like executives, lawyers, doctors, etc. I admit I would probably prefer to see them dressed professionally while they take my money, even though I know it has absolutely zero bearing on their skill level or expertise.

CapnCrunch
05-19-2015, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
I went to see my lawyer and he was wearing jeans, a t-shirt & a hoodie. In the end, I personally don't care as he does a good job. He could wear a bathrobe to the office for all the difference it would make to me. But are there people that still judge a professional partially on what they're wearing? Are there workplaces out there that still have an old school approach to dress code?

Replace jeans with sweat pants and that's my accountant.

jwslam
05-19-2015, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
i'd like to see it go back to the days of old... but thats just cause i actually like wearing suits, i rarely do wear them though (and never to the office) cause people always comment about it like im some sort of weirdo
http://www.quickmeme.com/img/0b/0b0cf545faa0d045bc203a247eed09ff0fecfcc139609581b926c54f1fa2c558.jpg

On another note:
Zuckerberg's attire (http://elitedaily.com/money/science-simplicity-successful-people-wear-thing-every-day/849141/)

M.alex
05-19-2015, 11:31 AM
Sometimes I wear moo-moos (I hate tight fiting t-shirts, even xxl doesn't fit me without hugging my lats and shoulders, grrrrr) and flip flops into the office. hell, i've met billionaires dressed worse.

I get many LULZ out of those who have to wear a monkey suit to their job, or think it makes them more powerful/professional/etc....

Thank god it isn't 1940 anymore!

HiTempguy1
05-19-2015, 11:34 AM
#onlyinAlberta

spikerS
05-19-2015, 11:41 AM
in my job, I never meet clients, and in the rare times I have, I will dress for it.

But I work in a NOC. I monitor systems, and get shit fixed when it breaks. I used to wear hoodies and hats, but the boss got cranky lately, and we now have to wear collard shirts and no hats, but jeans are still ok...

IMO, if you are interacting with the public face to face, or having official meetings, yes, you should be dressed up, but unless it is required safety gear, I say casual Friday everyday.

botox
05-19-2015, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Women can pretty well wear whatever they want, and if they dress "questionably", the only people who seem to care are a few other women in the office. They easily get away with bare legs, sandals, capri's, short skirts, low tops, etc. (not that I am complaining).

For guys, I couldn't possibly care less what people wear to work, but if you are meeting clients face-to-face, I think it's good that there is generally an expectation for better dress. Most people probably don't care, but you still don't want to put-off the ones that might. Bankers often have to wear suits, which probably makes sense since you are dealing with other people's money and personal details, so the image is important to some clients.

For jobs of higher standing, like executives, lawyers, doctors, etc. I admit I would probably prefer to see them dressed professionally while they take my money, even though I know it has absolutely zero bearing on their skill level or expertise.
:werd: Time's have changed and I don't really care how you dress, it's the service and performance that matters. I don't think I've ever seen our lawyer in a suit, she's always wearing jeans and a sweater of some kind. I used to be a delivery boy for KFC and there was an older guy who wore a suit and tie everyday saying he would get more tips than any of us because he's a real professional and would give us younger guys crap for wearing jeans because jeans were for real working men and apparently none of us knew what that meant.

JfuckinC
05-19-2015, 11:46 AM
Dress code is such a situational topic... Most days i wear a t-shirt to work if i know i'll just be sitting in my office crushing work, but if i know i have a meeting with a new prospective client i definitely wear a nice dress shirt and/or a blazer with dress shoes. I if i know i have a site visit i definitely dress casual and wear steel toe boots. I keep a dress shit and shoes in my office in case anything pops up unexpectedly as well.. Today im wearing beige chino's a t-shirt and a snap back... :dunno:

I agree with the Girl comment a few posts above lol, they get away with bloody murder with the shit they wear sometimes... one time our receptionist wore a lace top that looked like it belonged in the bedroom at one company i worked at :rofl: she definitely was asked to spiff it up a bit after that...

schocker
05-19-2015, 11:51 AM
^^^
I do that too. Tshirt/sport shirt and jeans typically. Meeting I wear pants/shirt no tie though. I should keep something in my office though as I have tshirt and jeaned a few meetings lately that were last minute things.

JfuckinC
05-19-2015, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by schocker
^^^
I do that too. Tshirt/sport shirt and jeans typically. Meeting I wear pants/shirt no tie though. I should keep something in my office though as I have tshirt and jeaned a few meetings lately that were last minute things.

ya most Day's are a Volcom polo or Plain black/white v-neck with something other than blue jeans, but still denim(grey/black/beige).. but i mean i work in a tiny office, and i'm by myself 75% of the time haha.. I'm not dressing up for myself :dunno:

InRich
05-19-2015, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
If you have a professional career, and meet with clients, you should be dressed for business IMO.

If my doctor, dentist, or financial manager came into the room like that, I'd be leaving and taking my business elsewhere. This would include a lawyer if I had one.

what do you do for a living?

jwslam
05-19-2015, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
i'm by myself 75% of the time haha.. I'm not dressing up for myself :dunno:
Sounds like it's underwear / nekkid time.

FraserB
05-19-2015, 12:13 PM
Business casual in the office (Khakis and a collared shirt, black dressy shoes).

On site I wear jeans and a tshirt+hoodie in the office, Carhart pants and a light hooded jacket under my PPE.

codetrap
05-19-2015, 12:19 PM

SmAcKpOo
05-19-2015, 12:21 PM
You guys ever noticed how many people are rocking the hipster beard these days?

I was at the Rose & Crown a couple months ago and I swear every dude in their 20's had the bushy hipster beard or the god awful neckbeard/chin strap. Where do these kids work? I can't imagine any of these guys being professionals. My office wouldn't put up with that kind of thing what so ever.

Also, when did yoga pants become black business casual attire?

Tik-Tok
05-19-2015, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by InRich

what do you do for a living?

Aircraft Mechanic. I wear coveralls.

A few times a year I have to go down south to over-see a large heavy maintenance check on our aircraft, or for training at our customers facility. Then I wear khaki's and golf shirt. I would never think of wearing a hoodie, even though I do daily at home.

firebane
05-19-2015, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by SmAcKpOo
You guys ever noticed how many people are rocking the hipster beard these days?

I was at the Rose & Crown a couple months ago and I swear every dude in their 20's had the bushy hipster beard or the god awful neckbeard/chin strap. Where do these kids work? I can't imagine any of these guys being professionals. My office wouldn't put up with that kind of thing what so ever.

Also, when did yoga pants become black business casual attire?

What about the hipster beard and ponytail hair at the same time?

Tik-Tok
05-19-2015, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by firebane

What about the hipster beard and ponytail hair at the same time?

Or the manbun, lol.

https://s.yimg.com/cd/resizer/2.0/FIT_TO_WIDTH-w540/9635ae8543875b9294efc7c47551de7be6cd35bf.jpg

SmAcKpOo
05-19-2015, 12:50 PM
Or the top knot... wtf is that all about.

firebane
05-19-2015, 12:54 PM

Or the manbun, lol.

https://s.yimg.com/cd/resizer/2.0/FIT_TO_WIDTH-w540/9635ae8543875b9294efc7c47551de7be6cd35bf.jpg

:banghead:

That is a truly bad way of disgracing yourself as a man.

Mibz
05-19-2015, 12:56 PM
Paging zipdoa, so firebane can show him what a real man looks like.

firebane
05-19-2015, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Mibz

:dunno: :nut:

CompletelyNumb
05-19-2015, 01:31 PM
Walk in to any 'trendy' pub downtown and over half the guys in there all look the same. Busy beard, bun, cardigan. lol. Calgary is hipster central.

I think office should be suits and tie in many cases.

Although I prefer tshirt and jeans to khakis and polo shirts. I hate polo shirts.

GQBalla
05-19-2015, 01:32 PM
My work has a dress code in place of business.

Most people have turned it into business casual, i wear dress shirt/pants/dress shoes in the office. I do come in wearing air force 1s though. If I'm going to a field site, i will be in jeans. I want to be naked all the time actually.

tirebob
05-19-2015, 01:57 PM
I wear what I want and would not take a job that requires a strict dress code. I definitely don't care what a person wears if the are good at what they do. That said, there is a time and place where cleaning up is smart, like I wouldn't care having a one on one meeting with my lawyer in a hoodie, but if he has to go represent me in court or something a suit would be the order of the moment...

msommers
05-19-2015, 02:04 PM
If you work downtown, dress pants and shirt with some sort of coordination between watch, belt and shoes. Ties are however you feel like and suits are even less common. They're so damn hot all day I don't know why you would want to wear one unless you have to, or feel important?

I work in the research park, so I wore jeans and sandals today. And everyday before that :D

ercchry
05-19-2015, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by msommers
so I wore jeans and sandals today.

sounds like engineer attire to me :barf:

JfuckinC
05-19-2015, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

sounds like engineer attire to me :barf:

Ya because drafters are so fashionable? :rofl:

ercchry
05-19-2015, 02:12 PM

not usually, but we are in this thread :bigpimp:

:rofl:

but yeah, today im rocking the blue supras with some dark wash levi 511s and a CK extreme slim fit purple dress shirt (untucked) with my lum-tec m67 on a brown leather strap

BrknFngrs
05-19-2015, 02:20 PM

Or the manbun, lol.

Totally fine....as long as you're a samurai.

g-m
05-19-2015, 03:31 PM
I like to dress really well at work. It's just more professional. I do look down on people who don't. Just make an effort. Dt

schurchill39
05-19-2015, 03:50 PM
My work is business casual so dress pants, dress shoes and a collared shirt. If I'm not meeting with customers I'll replace the dress shirt with a polo/golf shirt because my office is hot as fuck but otherwise its a long sleeve button up.

Personally I don't agree with it. I think as long as you are presentable and not dressed like a slob then it should be fine. Nice jeans, clean shoes that aren't flashy and a nice collared polo is what I would love to wear every day at the office but for now that's only a Friday thing...

BavarianBeast
05-19-2015, 04:06 PM
My work week looks a little like this...

Monday - Dress pants & dress shirt tucked in
Tuesday - Dress pants and dress shirt untucked
Wednesday - Friday - Jeans and untucked dress shirt.

Engineer in construction.

timdog
05-19-2015, 04:15 PM
a few people have mentioned it already but it's true that women seem to get away with wearing whatever the hell they want in the professional office environment. I would probably get shit on if I wore jeans on a Monday through Thursday, or if I wore sneakers... but meanwhile I see women every day in the office wearing tights for christ sakes, and flip flops or sandals. and skinny jeans. that shit irks me.

idriveabox
05-19-2015, 04:28 PM
Agree with the comment on women wearing whatever they want.

Those of you who say you would prefer to wear a suit...that shit gets old, fast. Our office shirt and tie everyday. Even friday.

rage2
05-19-2015, 04:31 PM
Here are my shoes for this 4 day work week.

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/D19C5238-4D77-4D19-8414-3E7EA88CF709_zpswagbavys.jpg

Glad I only have to meet vendors, who doesn't care how I dress haha.

Xtrema
05-19-2015, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Glad I only have to meet vendors, who doesn't care how I dress haha.

So true.

Vendors who cares.

Customers at least business casual.

This dude? Unless I'm hiring a Photographer/Graphic Designer/Barista, he goes to bottom of application pile. Call it cognitive bias, he seems to be wasted on anything that's not creative.

NoPulp
05-19-2015, 06:07 PM
I don't really care what people wear as long as its clean, fits somewhat decent and is appropriate.

However I just started my first real job (engineering) and have been trying to dress better. The company I work for is small and nobody dresses up typically. I've been trying to wear button up shirts and khaki/ nicer jeans. Not wearing dress shoes but something nicer than my sneakers.

I've realized I've been dressing like a "car guy" for too long. It feels much better to dress better, dress for the job you want. Also the girlfriend is happier. Win win.

I have noticed a decline for dress wear though. For school presentations and meetings I was always over dressed... Kids showing up with their normal street clothes with maybe less logos...

J.M.
05-19-2015, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by idriveabox
Agree with the comment on women wearing whatever they want.

Those of you who say you would prefer to wear a suit...that shit gets old, fast. Our office shirt and tie everyday. Even friday.

Fuck I couldn't imagine wearing a suit everyday haha I had trouble wearing a dress shirt and tie Mon-Thurs :rofl:

rage2
05-19-2015, 08:43 PM
Back when I was an IT consultant I would visit client sites in dress shirt and pants. It sucks climbing under desks and sneaking behind racks in dress clothes, but it was expected which is insane. Shit would need dry cleaning daily cuz it was covered in dust haha.

Pacman
05-19-2015, 08:45 PM
I've been wearing a suit (or a sports coat and pants) daily for the past 20 years. A few years ago, I stopped wearing a tie and just do a pocket square instead.

On Fridays, I will wear a nice pair of jeans but still do a dress shirt with a sports jacket.

I don't have a problem with it and don't even think about it when getting dressed in the morning.

wintonyk
05-19-2015, 11:56 PM
At my office we are business attire labour day to victoria day. For the remainder of year we are much more casual (jeans and collared shirts). I am in business development though so depending on the level of the DM and my meetings for the day/relationship with them I vary my clothing. Always collared shirt, tie choice varies. Generally speaking O&G clients business attire and consultants more casual.

Khyron
05-20-2015, 08:38 AM
Jeans and a golf shirt or jeans and a t-shirt. Suit/tie for funerals and the X-mas parties. Long live IT.

If I meet anyone technical, and they are in a suit, I assume they are just hardcore salesman. I associate suits with car-dealers and someone trying to sell me a couch.

pheoxs
05-20-2015, 08:58 AM
I work at an engineering office and everyone just wear jeans and a tshirt. But at the same time I rarely if ever meet with clients... I think if I was actually in business development or a project manager role and getting some face to face time with clients it'd be more formal for sure.

vengie
05-20-2015, 09:32 AM
I wear a little of everything depending on the environment I'm in. Anywhere from dress shirt/ pants when I am downtown, to jeans and a t-shirt if I'm at our shop.

Shax
05-20-2015, 11:56 AM
I work for a software company. Today I am wearing a t-shirt, shorts and a hat. I can't say it sucks.

masoncgy
05-20-2015, 01:02 PM
I do golf shirt/dress pants/dress shoes pretty much all the time... will go to long sleeve dress shirts in the colder months.

tch7
05-20-2015, 06:59 PM

Last week I shared the elevator with a drywaller/painter finishing up our new office, or so I thought. Turns out he's actually a drafter in another one of our departments.

zipdoa
05-21-2015, 07:17 AM
God damn, looks like a lot of beyonders wouldn't hire or do business with me!

Originally posted by Mibz

heavyfuel
05-21-2015, 07:36 AM
Blows my mind how my biggest competitors wear golf shirts neatly tucked into khakis lol couldn't pay me enough to dress like that to do this shit work lol Carhartts and wifebeaters all the way!

BigMass
05-21-2015, 08:11 AM
to me, someone dressed in a suit and tie comes across as either a greasy salesman with a PHD in lying or somebody who has something to hide behind a tarted up exterior. Suits just make me uncomfortable.

BavarianBeast
05-21-2015, 08:27 AM
Suits are for lawyers, weddings and funerals.

freshprince1
05-21-2015, 08:36 AM
I'm in software sales, so when I'm downtown with clients I am in dress pants/shirt/shoes. but I also have a home office...when not with clients I'm lucky to have pants on by 9am.

JfuckinC
05-21-2015, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by tch7

Last week I shared the elevator with a drywaller/painter finishing up our new office, or so I thought. Turns out he's actually a drafter in another one of our departments.

lol i mean that's just not right... :rofl:

Canmorite
05-22-2015, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast
Suits are for lawyers, weddings and funerals.

Or any workplace that deems them neccesary, banking, finance, fashion, accountants, etc etc. Calgary is really lax when it comes to dress codes. Go to New York, London, Geneva or Frankfurt and suits are the normal dress code across all types of industries.

Mar
05-22-2015, 09:10 AM
When I would go for interviews I would always wear jeans and if I found out they had a dress code I would refuse to work there. I think dress codes in a computer related environment is pointless, you should only have to dress up if you're facing a client.

Inzane
05-22-2015, 12:03 PM
Business semi-casual 4 days a week for me (khakis, golf shirt), no more. casual friday = jeans. Being in Edmonton (as opposed to a Calgary EPC office) our "clients" are more often than not coming from a refinery/upgrader/field site not a downtown headoffice environment and therefore they themselves are typically business casual or less.

The only people I see wearing a tie are typically those in upper management or some kind of accountants, etc. There are exceptions but the odd junior/intermediate engineers that do rock a tie look really out of place. Even most of the senior engineers do not typically wear suits and ties. Not even most dept. heads.

I personally HATE suits, and will only wear them begrudgingly at weddings and funerals. Who knows maybe that's because I'm not baller and have never had the experience of a properly custom tailored everything kind of suit. :dunno: But I even just hate wearing ties period, and have never met a pair of dress shoes I liked. They all seem uncomfortable to me. I am typically just plain miserable when I am "dressed up".

gqmw
05-25-2015, 05:07 PM
For me:
- business casual m-thurs at the minimum
- blazer on top if I feel like it
- formal when I have client meetings
- t-shirt and jeans on Fridays

austic
05-26-2015, 12:49 PM
Business casual with suits for initial engagement meetings and client presentation meetings. Casual Fridays normally dress shirt, jeans and sport coat.

speedog
05-26-2015, 01:10 PM
All very interesting, any time I've worked in an office environment be it a tech support position, tech repair, operations center, engineering tech or retail, I always wore jeans and a collared shirt (never golf shirts). If it was a manual labor job, it was a t-shirt and jeans. Always closed toe shoes regardless of the position even though there were people around me that would wear sandals in the office. Never have worn shorts once in the workplace whether in an office or out in the field - just never seemed right to me.

QR25DE-SER
05-29-2015, 03:55 AM
What about guys doing the beard & the ponytail with different color hair sounds like Ryan at the CoC..lol
:dunno:

BigMass
05-30-2015, 01:54 PM
we'd all laugh now if somebody was dressed like this
http://www.history.org/history/clothing/men/images/suit1.jpg

give it time and people will laugh at the stupid looking suit attire of today.

in 100 years this will be considered a complete joke, while atm we think it's stylish and great
http://www.gq.com/images/style/2012/04/style-guide/suits/01-arthur.jpg

Inzane
05-30-2015, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by speedog
a collared shirt (never golf shirts).

Pardon the stupid question but what's the difference? (Or does collared shirt mean long-sleeved in your example?)

killramos
05-30-2015, 03:11 PM
Our CEO told us we could wear jeans all week until our stock is above X dollars

J-D
05-30-2015, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by killramos
Our CEO told us we could wear jeans all week until our stock is above X dollars

Your classic disincentive situation. :rofl:

01RedDX
05-30-2015, 03:37 PM

legendboy
05-30-2015, 07:10 PM
Sneakers jeans tshirt at my new job. Definitely my preference.

I am waiting a few months to see if I can pull off a Pantera or Mastodon tshirt lol.

SKR
05-30-2015, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
Sneakers jeans tshirt at my new job. Definitely my preference.

I am waiting a few months to see if I can pull off a Pantera or Mastodon tshirt lol.

I've worn my Bathory shirt to the office before, but I don't work there. I'm in the field and just had to come in for a few days.

Every time I think about how nice it would be to work in town and not have to deal with field nonsense, I think about dress codes. And that's pretty much where that thought ends.

legendboy
05-30-2015, 10:17 PM
the owner wears sneakers jeans and a shirt so I am just following suit

I can suit up when needed but I'm still wearing my blue suede hush puppies or my vans

XylathaneGTR
05-30-2015, 11:25 PM

About 6 months into my current place I wore a glow in the dark gwar long-sleeve on "jeans friday" (where most will dress down to a polo or a casual sweater). :dunno:
I'm sure you can pull it off as long as its not full of holes or something.
Current VP doesn't like when people abuse "jeans friday" so I might have to stop wearing t-shirts.
I really miss my internship, where I wore lululemons on a somewhat regular basis...

Cos
05-31-2015, 10:17 AM

Hallowed_point
05-31-2015, 11:15 AM
Dress shirt, tie, dress pants and loafers 99% of the time. When I'm helping out the building operator I'll swap out the dress shirt for a golf shirt. The worst part is trying to stay clean in nice clothing at work. That and sweating your bag off in July. Other than that, I have no complaints. Dress the part and have some pride.

legendboy
05-31-2015, 08:56 PM
The only one that wears khakis and golf shirts at my job is our eit.

Owner was wearing shorts the other day. Shorts in the office at work is winning

NoSup4U
06-01-2015, 06:30 AM
The only one that wears khakis and golf shirts at my job is our eit.

Owner was wearing shorts the other day. Shorts in the office at work is winning

Shorts and t-shirt is my daily attire, working from a home office FTW :clap:

When meeting face to face, always dress shirt/ slacks, or suit depending on importance of the meeting

Dress the part...pretty simple rule to follow

jwslam
06-01-2015, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Cos
To me it is how put together it looks.
This. How do people walk around dressed in suits with white runners on... :banghead: :banghead:

AG_Styles
06-01-2015, 09:11 AM
game character related tshirt, and long cargo shorts. Alternate with motorcycle gear in spring/summer months.

but then I own the studio so I do whatever the hell I want. Even full 3 piece when it comes to client meetings. :p dress for success.

then again, I don't live in Calgary that often.

bjstare
06-01-2015, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by jwslam

This. How do people walk around dressed in suits with white runners on... :banghead: :banghead:

Yeah, or suits with Vans or blue suede hush puppies...

:devil:

Srsly though. A suit with anything but dress shoes, or at least a brown or black loafer, generally speaking doesn't work. If you're gonna suit up, fuckin suit up. Don't try and dress it down.

I'm all for dressing for the job you want, not the job you have. And in my years working, it definitely hasn't hurt.:dunno: