PDA

View Full Version : Turbo - Is this normal?

jabjab
05-29-2015, 04:20 PM
I've been slowly learning about turbos since I picked up my Audi and I'm curious if I'm having a problem or if this is normal.

I noticed this by accident actually when driving the last few days on the highway. I will be in 5th gear and the car pulls very nice to about 18psi and it does hold boost there BUT if I slightly let off the gas it feels like the car gets a second wind and accelerates further like its in boost again.

It's almost like it accelerates to max boost, let off gas, and it pulls harder.

Thoughts?

My_name_is_Rob
05-29-2015, 04:56 PM
None of my turbo'ed vehicles accelerate after I take my foot off the gas, unless I'm descending a fairly steep hill. Might be something to get checked out... :dunno:

AE92_TreunoSC
05-29-2015, 05:06 PM
The electric throttle body is a weak spot on audi's, it may be reactincing slowly to you trying to close the throttle and maybe the boost isnt being purged in time to stop a small surge.

It's a mean thing we do by lifting off after a long heavy boost, you should gradually let off after a long high gear pull.

How old is your TT?

jabjab
05-29-2015, 05:51 PM
I don't take my foot off the gas entirely, i just let off slightly for a sec but again slightly press again and its pulls aggresively. It's a 2000 with 170k.

Just seems like a second wind of boost. I'm wondering if it should pull like that through the higher rpms with me just being consistant with my foot on gas

Darell_n
05-29-2015, 06:04 PM
My wife's WRX does similar things from the turbo being too damn small and being maxed out at 100% throttle. It makes more power at less than full throttle.