PDA

View Full Version : Salmon question

heavyfuel
06-02-2015, 07:05 PM
Did a quick search but I'd still like to ask, is there any good reason why you shouldn't eat farmed Atlantic salmon, raw? After you freeze it first? What exactly makes fish, sushi/sashimi grade?

Mibz
06-02-2015, 07:29 PM
Google says:
Although stores use the label "sushi grade fish," there are no official standards for using this label. The only regulation is that parasitic fish, such as salmon, should be frozen to kill any parasites before being consumed raw
infectious salmon anemia (ISAv) was discovered in Norway in an Atlantic salmon hatchery.
ISAv seriously affects salmon farms in Chile, Norway, Scotland and Canada, causing major economic losses to infected farms.Emphasis mine.

Sounds like they get rid of the infected ones, but it's probably one of those better safe than sorry things.

CanmoreOrLess
06-02-2015, 08:17 PM
All fish used for sushi is frozen. This is what a sushi chef told me in Whistler, he has been a sushi chef for over forty years and was originally from Japan. The most parasite and worm infected fish would be the swordfish.

From the NYT:
More alarming still is the reason Bourdain gave for why the pros never order swordfish: "those three-foot-long parasitic worms that riddle the fish's flesh."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/28/books/review/28handy.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

roopi
06-02-2015, 10:16 PM
Scroll down to the food safety section:
http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-sashimi-info/additional-sushi-information/

flipstah
06-02-2015, 10:34 PM
Ooo have a massive craving for sashimi now.

lasimmon
06-03-2015, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
Ooo have a massive craving for sashimi now.

I feel the opposite :barf:

heavyfuel
06-03-2015, 05:53 PM
^^^ Awww c'mon you know you wanna down a whole side of raw salmon and a couple bottles of top shelf sake lol

lilmira
06-03-2015, 06:41 PM
What do u call a piece of raw salmon with lice?

natty54
06-03-2015, 10:07 PM
I don't know if its all frozen? Is that why they used wasabi originally? antibacterial?

ZenOps
06-09-2015, 08:31 AM
Wasabi has a chance of stunning parasitic worms, so that they don't have a chance to attach to intestines? Thats just secondhand.

But it didn't really work for me. I've had worms of all sorts, you will eventually catch one - or a whole variety of them if you are in any way an adventurous eater. Some worms are nasty, others are... well lets just say some people try to intentionally get them.

Unless you are right by the coast or have it delivered by plane, i've heard its all flash frozen anyhow.

zipdoa
07-07-2015, 10:30 AM
http://www.slowfood.com/slowfish/pagine/eng/pagina.lasso?-id_pg=88

tl;dr

don't eat Atlantic Salmon, farmed or otherwise.

Wild Alaskan Salmon or bust.

msommers
07-07-2015, 10:34 AM
Copper River salmon or bust :D

killramos
07-07-2015, 10:39 AM
Just go to good sushi places that serve wild sockeye :drool:

heavyD
07-07-2015, 11:28 AM
There's no good reason to eat any Salmon as the stuff smells like a dead fish in an old boot on a 100 degree day and tastes like fish with the fish taste dialed up to 100. Never understood why people would actually like to eat a fish that smells like rotten pussy.

jwslam
07-07-2015, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by heavyD
There's no good reason to eat any Salmon as the stuff smells like a dead fish in an old boot on a 100 degree day and tastes like fish with the fish taste dialed up to 100. Never understood why people would actually like to eat a fish that smells like rotten pussy.
Maybe you're going to heavy on the D and don't know how good pussy can taste :poosie: :poosie:
On another note, I much prefer Tuna but it's so much less common / more expensive than salmon :banghead: :banghead:

ExtraSlow
07-07-2015, 11:38 AM
I don't make a habit of eating rotten pussy, maybe you need to spend time with some more hygienic women?

I do eat salmon regularly, and when it's fresh, it has virtually no odor, just like most fish.

mr2mike
07-07-2015, 11:49 AM
Don't over cook it.

(Referring to both) ;)

heavyfuel
07-07-2015, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa
http://www.slowfood.com/slowfish/pagine/eng/pagina.lasso?-id_pg=88

tl;dr

don't eat Atlantic Salmon, farmed or otherwise.

Wild Alaskan Salmon or bust.

Lol. Fear mongering at its finest. Doesn't even make sense- the article says it takes 2.5 to 5 kilos of wild fish to produce one kilo of farmed salmon. Okay, so does that mean that wild salmon eat less? If a fish is gonna eat 5 kilos of another kind of fish, then it's gonna either way. If anything, wild salmon have the potential to eat MORE. That's like saying you eat more only because you're in jail lol but as good as they feed you in (federal) prison, you have the potential to eat more when you're not locked up. Same goes for salmon. I eat farmed salmon from Superstore 2-3 times/week, yearly physicals haven't detected anything of concern, so far so good, maybe when wild salmon won't cost me $30/meal then I'll consider it.

rage2
07-07-2015, 12:56 PM
I didn't know you had to freeze the fish to kill parasites. I went on a fishing trip in Vancouver with some sushi chefs years ago, and they were prepping sushi and sashimi from the catch. I didn't die.

heavyfuel
07-07-2015, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I didn't know you had to freeze the fish to kill parasites. I went on a fishing trip in Vancouver with some sushi chefs years ago, and they were prepping sushi and sashimi from the catch. I didn't die.

I know. I caught a mackerel near Halifax years ago, gutted, cleaned and ate it raw drunk as fuck right on the dock, no issues at all lol

Tik-Tok
07-07-2015, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by rage2

It's one of those things where you aren't guaranteed to get a parasite, but your chances go exponentially up. Also Pacific Salmon are generally "cleaner" than atlantic.

heavyD
07-07-2015, 02:55 PM
You guys are crazy eating that shit raw. One of the things that separates man from animals is that we cook our meat.

msommers
07-07-2015, 03:36 PM
I think there's a specific breed of chicken that can be eaten raw. Blue something if I recall.

lilmira
07-07-2015, 03:57 PM
You guys are crazy eating that shit raw. One of the things that separates man from animals is that we cook our meat.

That's ridiculous. Raw beef done right tastes good. Now eating raw meat off the bones dripping blood is different. Grabbing a whole fish from the water and putting it in your mouth is different. Animals don't prepare food, we do, raw or cooked.

jwslam
07-07-2015, 04:02 PM
https://www.zomato.com/photos/pv-res-16630749-u_MTA4MjczOTQ1OT
https://c.zmtcdn.com/data/reviews_photos/f03/494ce2808f276c9c34eacba46608af03_1434101885.jpg

heavyfuel
07-07-2015, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by lilmira

eating raw meat off the bones dripping blood is different.

What? You're not supposed to do that?

oster
07-07-2015, 10:19 PM
You can see the parasites in the fish (at least salmon) when you fillet it, white specks. Anyone who knows what they are doing will see them and toss it, however freezing or cooking will kill them.

FixedGear
07-07-2015, 10:49 PM
i hope people dont read this thread and assume they can just put fresh in their freezer to kill the parasites. Very cold temps (colder than your home freezer, most likely) and specific periods of time are necessary. Google for the usda recommendations.

I know of a japanese guy that got a tapeworm from eating fresh fish, so it does happen.