PDA

View Full Version : Looking for input on temporary car wrap during transport

Ekliptix
06-06-2015, 08:17 PM
I'm trailering 2 cars 3000km home in 1 month, with UHaul trailers. My initial plan was to wrap specific areas with painters tape but it is not going to provide much protection from rocks.

I've seen in mechanic shops, a temporary plastic film they stick on the fenders while doing doing engine work to protect the paint. A quick google search didn't give me any more information.

Does anyone have any information on this temporary plastic layer mechanics use on cars, or any other recommendations?

Thanks,

Graham

Sample photo of car and trailer.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/viperdbr/2008z06load020.jpg

J.M.
06-06-2015, 08:34 PM
Wrap the entire car with saran wrap :rofl:

What about a car cover?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-06-2015, 08:35 PM
What about 3M spray on defender just for the trip?

mr2mike
06-06-2015, 08:46 PM
I've seen painters tape used but that would take awhile.

Almost get thickest wrap you can and DIY. Doesn't matter on bubbles or seams really so shouldn't be too hard to stick on yourself.

Some where like Shadow Tint, etc.

AndyL
06-06-2015, 08:57 PM
Boat wrap place...

Ekliptix
06-06-2015, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by J.M.
Wrap the entire car with saran wrap :rofl:

What about a car cover?
A car cover will whip in the wind, potentially causing rubbing and damage the paint over 4 days of driving.

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
What about 3M spray on defender just for the trip?
Yes, this came to mind. I have experience applying and removing it too. I could even leave it on long term.

Originally posted by mr2mike
I've seen painters tape used but that would take awhile.

Almost get thickest wrap you can and DIY. Doesn't matter on bubbles or seams really so shouldn't be too hard to stick on yourself.

Some where like Shadow Tint, etc.
This is true. Looking on Amazon.com, DIY generic sheets would cost about $120 to do all the critical parts. Not bad.

Originally posted by AndyL
Boat wrap place...
Good idea but the boarder officials will need to get into the car.

italianstylez
06-06-2015, 10:15 PM
Shrink wrap ?

legendboy
06-06-2015, 10:42 PM
enclosed trailer?

Ekliptix
06-06-2015, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by italianstylez
Shrink wrap ?
I've thought about that. The main issue is I'd have to wrap quite a few layers to make it thick enough to provide protection from rocks.

Originally posted by legendboy
enclosed trailer?
Like the idea. Just can't find any places that rent an enclosed car hauler for 1 way trips.

D'z Nutz
06-06-2015, 11:06 PM
If it were me, I'd just 3M the front since you may want to end up keeping it on when you get back to home. This IS Calgary after all. We're already into June and some neighborhoods haven't been cleaned of the winter gravel yet.

G-ZUS
06-07-2015, 11:11 AM
Plasti dip?

italianstylez
06-07-2015, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
If it were me, I'd just 3M the front since you may want to end up keeping it on when you get back to home. This IS Calgary after all. We're already into June and some neighborhoods haven't been cleaned of the winter gravel yet.

This ,

killramos
06-07-2015, 01:38 PM
I'm big on the enclosed trailer idea.

Thinking about it you could probabaly buy one and profit by selling it in canada lol.

Or pay to have it shipped in a larger enclosed trailer shipment.

Graham_A_M
06-07-2015, 02:03 PM
^ yeah that's probably your best bet actually. You can get a good enclosed trailer for about 3k down there. Bring it here with your corvette inside and break even after you sell it.

natty54
06-07-2015, 04:36 PM
http://www.tracwrap.com/

Maxx Mazda
06-07-2015, 04:58 PM
Was going to suggest tracwrap as well. Pretty much exactly what you're looking for I think.

Ekliptix
06-08-2015, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by natty54
http://www.tracwrap.com/
Bingo. Exactly what I need. Thank you.

Enclosed car hauler trailers look to start around $5k here. Would prefer to avoid the added step of buying/importing/selling trailer this round. Have enough balls in the air at the moment.

carson blocks
06-08-2015, 04:12 PM
Duct tape, the cheaper the better. Make sure to leave it in the sun for a week to uh.. cure it. :D

Tik-Tok
06-08-2015, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Ekliptix

Enclosed car hauler trailers look to start around $5k here. Would prefer to avoid the added step of buying/importing/selling trailer this round. Have enough balls in the air at the moment.

Might also be hard to turn over here, with our current economic climate. Lots of toys getting put on the market.

Ekliptix
06-08-2015, 08:32 PM
I'm bring 3 cars up, so this I'm going to spend a couple hundred on that tracwrap and protect them all for the trip.