PDA

View Full Version : The Bad Cycling Habits Thread

MalibuStacy
06-09-2015, 10:21 AM
So as the title suggests this thread is about the bad habits we all see and in some cases are guilty of.

I personally know I am guilty for not using effective hand gestures and not shoulder checking on the bike often enough. I also have been known to ride on sidewalks on occasion.

Personally I hate to see cyclists who completely ignore the rules of the road. Running reds, lane splitting. I also really hate seeing riders not wearing helmets or using lights in the dark, just plain stupid.

Squeaky chains are annoying too, but that's just my perfectionist tendencies coming through.

How bout you guys?

D'z Nutz
06-09-2015, 10:45 AM
I have a habit of crossing paths with benyl to and from work semi-frequently :rofl: I wouldn't say it's a "bad" habit cause he's a pretty chill guy haha

Hallowed_point
06-09-2015, 10:46 AM
Oh man , this could be long..cyclists that like to stop within one inch of your passenger side at a light (if they actually stop!) Keep your distance, I don't want my car getting scratched or risking hitting you.

Same goes for the ones that park right behind your ass. Hmm..if you get rear ended by a car behind us that's gonna work out well.

Wearing all black clothing at night and no light on.

Wearing an ipod so that you can't hear anything around you in traffic.

My favorite is when they look directly at you, and then blow through the 4 way stop. It's like, I'm better than you because I'm on a bike. Even better when they have their little daughter riding behind them playing copy cat. Really smart :whipped:

benyl
06-09-2015, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
I have a habit of crossing paths with benyl to and from work semi-frequently :rofl: I wouldn't say it's a "bad" habit cause he's a pretty chill guy haha

haha, I am never sure if that is you. You Asians all look the same!

I have a bad habit of leaving my bike dirty. Probably extra wear and tear.

msommers
06-09-2015, 11:03 AM
Not having a bell while on the pathway. I normally just say 'on your left' but I've had a few people yell at me about my lack of bell and I keep meaning to put it on :rofl:

ercchry
06-09-2015, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Not having a bell while on the pathway. I normally just say 'on your left' but I've had a few people yell at me about my lack of bell and I keep meaning to put it on :rofl:

you.... monster :eek:

my bad habit is always taking something with a motor instead of the bike... :rofl:

msommers
06-09-2015, 11:13 AM
Oh yeah, it's not a bad habit of cycling myself but of other cyclists while I'm driving. Like 4-way stops. This cyclist thought he didn't have to stop, so I went on my turn and cut him off :rofl: The look on his face was priceless

speedog
06-09-2015, 11:21 AM
Dark clothes, no helmet and no lights when it's dark - I just don't get it. Saw a lady (20-30 something) last night juts after 11:00pm on 4th Street NW at 16th Avenue - no lights, no reflectors, no helmet, attempted to run the red south bound on 4th Street and only managed to get half ways across 16th Avenue where she remianed stuck until the EB 16th Avenue traffic cleared enough for her to finish running that red.

My biggest faux pas - rolling through stop signs, am trying to do less of it. Have never run a red or yellow on my bicycle and I need to treat stop signs the same way. Difficult to do when on an evening ride through a quiet community but those signs are there for a reason and just because I'm on a bicycle shouldn't excuse me from the law. Maybe it's because I can just react quicker on a bicycle and because I'm generally not moving as fast.

Also, cyclists listening to tunes - that I don't get. How can you hear anything around you, a car coming up behind you, a dog coming out at you, etc?

Something I used to have on my bicycle when I cycle commuted - a handlebar mounted mirror. It may have looked a bit odd but that mirror sure as hell is one great extra safety feature - gonna have to get another one. Really great when riding in a group of cyclists - easy to keep tabs on who's behind you and how close they are, much better than constantly turning one's head.

Mitsu3000gt
06-09-2015, 11:31 AM
By far the most annoying thing is the lane splitting to get to the front of the line of cars at a red light, so that all cars behind are limited to a maximum speed of ~10-20 km/h until the cyclist turns off. If the odd car manages to safely pass the cyclist, it doesn't matter, because they ride to the front again at the next light. Then you miss the next green light because you're driving so slow, and end up waiting at every single red light, each of which of course the cyclist is at the front of the line for. I'm sure there is the odd one that doesn't do this but nearly every single cyclist I have seen on the road does this downtown.

The other thing I don't like is the blatant disregard for all the rules of the road so many of them seem to have, such as ignoring stop signs and not stopping for pedestrians.

Some of them seem to like to ride on the sidewalk as well, and I have even been hit by one cyclist who decided to use the sidewalk instead of the bike lane 6 inches away on 10th ave. It's especially bad under the 8th street bridge. This one isn't as common.

Couriers scare me as well. They weave in/out of traffic inches away from everyone's car. They slow down traffic so much because people are scared to hit them. This doesn't really apply to the average commuter though, mostly just couriers. You only really see these guys in the core at least.

speedog
06-09-2015, 11:42 AM
Oh, and I absolutely hate it when a motorist stops for me when they have the right of way and I am stopped astride my bicycle waiting for traffic to clear so I can safely cross. I am not a pedestrian when I am still astride my bicycle - if I want to cross as a pedestrian, I will dismount my bicycle, walk beside it and get over to the pedestrian crosswalk area.

As a motorist, I will not cede my right of way to a cyclist who doesn't have the right of way - if you're in the crosswalk are and off of your bicycle, then I'll yield. But if you're going to be a pedestrian for that moment in time and I stop for you in my car, then you sure as hell better remain a pedestrian for that whole crossing event - do not all of a sudden get back on your bicycle and be a cyclist, that will just really piss me off because you're now changing the rules.

bspot
06-09-2015, 12:30 PM
I've noticed there seem to be way more cyclists and pedestrians on the River Walk these days. I've definitely slowed down the speed that I ride home in the summer, as I notice tons of bikes are just total dicks to all the pedestrians, especially on the shared sections of path by Eau Claire where they buzz way to close to people with no warning and cut some people off pretty hard.

No wonder everyone hates us :rofl:

bspot
06-09-2015, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Oh, and I absolutely hate it when a motorist stops for me when they have the right of way and I am stopped astride my bicycle waiting for traffic to clear so I can safely cross.

I HATE this :whipped:

Sometimes I'm eyeing the gap behind the offending car to make my move, and don't even notice they've stopped, which holds up the traffic behind them even longer.

I know people are trying to be polite, but it's just dangerous and frustrating. It's like stopping mid block for a jaywalker.

D'z Nutz
06-09-2015, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by benyl
haha, I am never sure if that is you. You Asians all look the same!

That must be why I can only recognize you half the time haha! I like viewing the flybys on Strava just to see how many people follow similar paths and sure enough, you're on some of my rides going the opposite direction

Eh, to be fair, a lot of people listen to their music so loud (bikers and pedestrians alike) they wouldn't hear your bell anyways so it's not like you'll get everyone.

Moonracer
06-09-2015, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Oh, and I absolutely hate it when a motorist stops for me when they have the right of way and I am stopped astride my bicycle waiting for traffic to clear so I can safely cross.

Originally posted by bspot

Sometimes I'm eyeing the gap behind the offending car to make my move, and don't even notice they've stopped, which holds up the traffic behind them even longer.

I know people are trying to be polite, but it's just dangerous and frustrating. It's like stopping mid block for a jaywalker.

:werd: happens to me a couple times a week normally. I just end up putting my head down and give it a shake, they'll get the hint or they'll get honked at.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Eh, to be fair, a lot of people listen to their music so loud (bikers and pedestrians alike) they wouldn't hear your bell anyways so it's not like you'll get everyone.

a bell is pretty much useless these days with so many people wearing their earphones. I have the loudest bell you can get and people still don't hear it.

MalibuStacy
06-10-2015, 08:46 AM
I am guilty for letting cars have the right of way in a four way stop. Often around the schools and the university. Half the time people have absolutely no clue how to use them when its just cars, but add a bicycle to the mix and all hell breaks loose. Thus often in a four way I will wait till it is safe, stand and take a water break. I do know the rules of the four way, but in all honesty, I don't have six feet of metal around me, so if one of the asshats in the stop sign decides to go I always lose.

Sometimes I feel although I have the same amount of rights as a car on the road, you still got to use your head, and remember that the bike always loses.

MalibuStacy
06-10-2015, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Moonracer

a bell is pretty much useless these days with so many people wearing their earphones. I have the loudest bell you can get and people still don't hear it.

But isn't not having a bell illegal?

benyl
06-10-2015, 09:10 AM
I wear earphones. I can hear a cyclist behind me. How fucking loud are people playing their music that they can't hear a bell?

My commute is 90% path.

When I am on the road, if a car is going to hit me, they are going to hit me whether I can hear them or not.

MalibuStacy
06-10-2015, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by benyl
I wear earphones. I can hear a cyclist behind me. How fucking loud are people playing their music that they can't hear a bell?

My commute is 90% path.

When I am on the road, if a car is going to hit me, they are going to hit me whether I can hear them or not.

I spend most of my time on the paths too, but when push comes to shove, I will yield to the cars as I enjoy the art of being able to walk ;)

Joel_D
06-10-2015, 09:16 AM
I've noticed there seem to be way more cyclists and pedestrians on the River Walk these days.

My commute to work is half on the road and the other half on the pathway during rush hour. This year I actually feel safer and less stressed sharing the road with cars. Way too many PathAthletes making dangerous/unsafe passes. Especially on the narrow section just west of Crowchild & Memorial, where you have a mixture of walkers, runners, bladers, and cyclist all travelling at different speeds.

One of these days some ones likely to end up over the concrete barrier or in the river.

Moonracer
06-10-2015, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by MalibuStacy

But isn't not having a bell illegal?

Yup

MalibuStacy
06-10-2015, 09:33 AM
I will admit, I have a bell, but one my road bike where I kinda am trying to keep a "sleek" look, there aren't really a lot of place I have to put it. I did finally settle on the handle stem though...

I still argue that a bell is always warranted. especially on the paths where you are mingling with pedestrians. In traffic they are useless though.

corsvette
06-10-2015, 09:34 AM

X1000! Some drivers are way over courteous to cyclists. I hate when a car is already stopped at 4 way and WAITS for me to cross. When on a bike I'm not a pedestrian, so don't treat me like one.

My bad habit is failing to stop lol.

rage2
06-10-2015, 09:52 AM
I still argue that a bell is always warranted. especially on the paths where you are mingling with pedestrians. In traffic they are useless though.
I find they're pretty useless on shared paths with pedestrians as well. I'd ring the shit out of the bell, nothing. They're walking both lanes. Mainlander Asians are the worst for this.

spikerS
06-10-2015, 09:59 AM
What I hate, 2 things more than anything.

1 - sitting at a red light and some fucker in a spandex suit and aero helmet and weird fucking gloves pulls up beside me and either puts his plastic glove or whatever on my hood or wherever so that he doesn't have to put his foot down. Worse was the bike courier who just leaned his entire torso against my fender (in a black leather jacket with a million and one zippers all over the place).

2 - the fucker who one a one lane road goes so slow and you can't pass because of on coming traffic, and then when you finally ARE able to pass him, you get caught at the next light, and the fucker filters past you to the front, and you gotta do it all over again.

spikerS
06-10-2015, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by rage2

I find they're pretty useless on shared paths with pedestrians as well. I'd ring the shit out of the bell, nothing. They're walking both lanes. Mainlander Asians are the worst for this.

they do that in Superstore too. Walk three abreast in the aisle and I can't get my shopping cart past them. In the 4th aisle where we could not pass each other in opposite directions and forced me to wait, i just kept walking and clipped one. Was pretty funny listening to them yell at me in Chinese or whatever.

spikerS
06-10-2015, 10:04 AM
Oh, and one more before I forget.

3) that fucker who grabs my rear wheel fender well and gets a free tow. I saw the thing flexing so much I thought I was going to have paint cracks.

MalibuStacy
06-10-2015, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by spikerS

3) that fucker who grabs my rear wheel fender well and gets a free tow. I saw the thing flexing so much I thought I was going to have paint cracks.

LOL there have been so many times I have thought about doing that, but refrained because of my love of cars

msommers
06-10-2015, 10:09 AM

1 - sitting at a red light and some fucker in a spandex suit and aero helmet and weird fucking gloves pulls up beside me and either puts his plastic glove or whatever on my hood or wherever so that he doesn't have to put his foot down. Worse was the bike courier who just leaned his entire torso against my fender (in a black leather jacket with a million and one zippers all over the place).

2 - the fucker who one a one lane road goes so slow and you can't pass because of on coming traffic, and then when you finally ARE able to pass him, you get caught at the next light, and the fucker filters past you to the front, and you gotta do it all over again.

Where was this occurring? I haven't seen this sort of thing ever, as a cyclist or driver. I'm driving downtown quite a bit these days too.

Man I'd lose my shit on these guys. I'm surprised you haven't said something to them knowing your demeanor :rofl:

MalibuStacy
06-10-2015, 10:13 AM
I am on the fence about the reflectors though. I only have one on the road bike, but I always have lights. and my Electra is completely naked for reflectors.

I hate seeing people in high visibility gear, just look dumb. I know its slightly safer, but at what cost?:nut:

CLiVE
06-10-2015, 11:21 AM
I run commute Mon/Fri, bike T, W, Thurs.

Running - horrible cyclists. Buzz me on the river pathway all the time. No bell, no 'on your left' etc. USE YOUR BELL. It does help, but don't ring it when you're right at my heels either. Too late. When in doubt, ring it. I've had dogs turn around and not cross my path as a result of using it on the bike, pedestrians with head phones, etc.

Pedestrians: When you hear a bell. Acknowledge it. I raise my hand and give a little wave to let them know I know they're there.

Biking: If you're following someone and they pass a pedestrian and ring. Still ring your bell, so they know there are 2 bikes coming and so on...

Biking - again, I don't expect motorists to yield if I'm on the bike. If I get off and walk, then I'm a pedestrian. Some drivers don't understand this and it just adds to confusion.

On the road bike I mount my bell on the drops - just by the curve. This way you can reach it both from the drops, and from the hoods with your thumb.

Admittedly the only times I've had close calls bike commuting is when I'm pushing the limit. ie: anticipating a green light, and another vehicle is trying to beat the red. I've learned from those few close calls to wait til the light is green, and to try and control other bad habits on the bike. Otherwise they will catch up with you one day....

....and I wear high vis gear. (Jersey / backpack cover). Lights on all the time. I would like to get home to my family.

Moonracer
06-10-2015, 11:26 AM

Shit I don't even ring my bell when I see asians usually. As you said they don't move or as I've seen when I ring they end up turning to look and see what's coming and then they don't know what to do and scatter all over the place. :rofl: But if you're completely blocked then you're fucked.

gogreen
06-10-2015, 11:27 AM

Wow, that's ridiculous.

A while ago I saw a cyclist do a full 360 degree loop in the crosswalk in order to avoid stopping and putting his foot down. He was right in the middle of the left turn lane, crept forward into the crosswalk when the light was red, then initiated a slow loop to his right (passing in to the through lane, no less) just as the light turned green. So traffic in two lanes had to sit and wait while he completed his loop and finally got going in his original direction of travel.

:nut:

msommers
06-10-2015, 11:30 AM
^^That's when you just lay on the horn for being a dumbass.

Idiocy isn't restricted to one mode of transportation, as clearly demonstrated in this thread.

Moonracer
06-10-2015, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by CLiVE
I run commute Mon/Fri, bike T, W, Thurs.

Running - horrible cyclists. Buzz me on the river pathway all the time. No bell, no 'on your left' etc. USE YOUR BELL. It does help, but don't ring it when you're right at my heels either. Too late. When in doubt, ring it.

Are you implying that a cyclist ring their bell as they pass every single pedestrian on the path?

ercchry
06-10-2015, 11:33 AM

Are you implying that a cyclist ring their bell as they pass every single pedestrian on the path?

yes, they should... but yeah, try not warning me while im walking the dogs, see what happens if you hit one

Moonracer
06-10-2015, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

yes, they should... but yeah, try not warning me while im walking the dogs, see what happens if you hit one

If I rang my bell every time I passed someone it would be ringing almost constantly. I may as well put a bear bell on and just have it jingling steady lol It really is not necessary to ring it when passing everyone. I mean people have to have SOME common sense and realize that they are on a multi use pathway and to expect bikes to be passing by.
If I see someone with dogs I would ring my bell, hopefully they're on a leash, and probly slow down just in case. The last thing I would want is to hit an animal as I am very sensitive towards them. ;) Same applies for kids....

MalibuStacy
06-10-2015, 11:57 AM
I ring for every time I want to pass, and if it is crowded I will wait until they acknowledge and move over.

I agree the cyclists who refuse to put down a foot and are fidgeting in the intersection look ridiculous

D'z Nutz
06-10-2015, 12:10 PM
I ring my bell every time I'm passing someone, pedestrian or cyclist. If they don't hear me, that's their fucking problem.

I have earphones on and I can still hear everything around me: traffic, other cyclists, my squeaky pedals, those damn geese hissing at me, everything. How loud are people listening to their fucking music if they can't even hear a bell?

gogreen
06-10-2015, 12:16 PM
^^That's when you just lay on the horn for being a dumbass.

Surprisingly no one honked. I was in the far right lane wondering what in the hell I was looking at, lol.

Idiocy isn't restricted to one mode of transportation, as clearly demonstrated in this thread.

Agreed. I have cycle commuted in the past so I've seen things from both perspectives. I still try to be courteous and give some room to cyclists I see on the road, as I've almost been clipped before while following the rules.

ColoDano
06-10-2015, 12:18 PM
Not quite the same as most of the posts here, but I have real issues seeing poor cycling habits, related to the form, fit, and efficiency of so many riders in Calgary.

Bikes that straight up don't fit them, seats too low, knees cocked out, riding at a horrible cadence or struggling/ spinning in the wrong gear.

This is one of the large causes of frustration for drivers I think, as it takes so many cyclists so long to get up to speed since they don't seem to understand gearing changes and how to ride taking full advantage of the bike or their physical mechanincs.

I spent many years both commuting by bike, biking for fun, and training with both road and mtn. bike race groups, and seeing so many of the riders in Calgary ride so poorly, I can pretty much feel my knees ache and legs burn just watching in horror.

The wife and I frequently drive by in a lane next to cyclists, and both of us will blurt out "spin, please spin" at almost the same time, as they slog along uphill at 40 rpm.

MalibuStacy
06-10-2015, 12:50 PM
My dad and I hate seeing people struggle with gearing.

I remember when I was a kid, and I followed my dads gearing use, where you switch to make it easier and more efficient, and to make more speed. But my younger brother however, he seemed only to know gear 1 or gear 21 lol. As far as he was concerned, all of your shifting changes should for the most part be handled from the front gear set. Even now where he also has a Electra three speed he mostly uses one and three, rarely gear two.

gogreen
06-10-2015, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by ColoDano
Not quite the same as most of the posts here, but I have real issues seeing poor cycling habits, related to the form, fit, and efficiency of so many riders in Calgary.

Bikes that straight up don't fit them, seats too low, knees cocked out, riding at a horrible cadence or struggling/ spinning in the wrong gear.

This is one of the large causes of frustration for drivers I think, as it takes so many cyclists so long to get up to speed since they don't seem to understand gearing changes and how to ride taking full advantage of the bike or their physical mechanincs.

I spent many years both commuting by bike, biking for fun, and training with both road and mtn. bike race groups, and seeing so many of the riders in Calgary ride so poorly, I can pretty much feel my knees ache and legs burn just watching in horror.

The wife and I frequently drive by in a lane next to cyclists, and both of us will blurt out "spin, please spin" at almost the same time, as they slog along uphill at 40 rpm.

I actually thought that may have been the topic of the thread when I first saw the title. ;)

CLiVE
06-10-2015, 01:36 PM

I generally do. If there are few people groups close together - 1 is enough. Use your best judgement. Never know when someone will sidestep, turn around, stop to take a picture, etc.

spikerS
06-10-2015, 01:51 PM

Where was this occurring? I haven't seen this sort of thing ever, as a cyclist or driver. I'm driving downtown quite a bit these days too.

Man I'd lose my shit on these guys. I'm surprised you haven't said something to them knowing your demeanor :rofl:

I remember the leaners were on 5th ave.

The guy holding on for a tow was going up center over the bow in rush hour, so i couldn't really stop...

But yeah, each and every one of them got an ear full from me, but being that they are on a bike, they just don't give a shit, and filter up through traffic.

rage2
06-10-2015, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by gogreen
A while ago I saw a cyclist do a full 360 degree loop in the crosswalk in order to avoid stopping and putting his foot down. He was right in the middle of the left turn lane, crept forward into the crosswalk when the light was red, then initiated a slow loop to his right (passing in to the through lane, no less) just as the light turned green. So traffic in two lanes had to sit and wait while he completed his loop and finally got going in his original direction of travel.

:nut:
That's definitely a noob cyclist. I'm not as hardcore of a cyclist as many of the beyonders here, but I can stop and balance myself on 2 wheels with no problems. I assume that this isn't very difficult if even I can do it.

ercchry
06-10-2015, 02:26 PM

The guy holding on for a tow was going up center over the bow in rush hour, so i couldn't really stop...

i would of tested his swimming skills by drifting to the right a bit :rofl:

gogreen
06-10-2015, 03:57 PM

That's definitely a noob cyclist. I'm not as hardcore of a cyclist as many of the beyonders here, but I can stop and balance myself on 2 wheels with no problems. I assume that this isn't very difficult if even I can do it.

I would say so. Or he had just switched to clipless pedals and didn't want to attempt to clip out.

lilmira
06-10-2015, 04:59 PM
I hate people riding double making it hard for people to pass because they want to talk to each other

I hate people riding on the left, also making it hard for people to pass.

bspot
06-11-2015, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by ColoDano

Pffffffff grunt for life!

Granny gear only gets used on my mountain bike when my early season legs are weak.

Although if I learned to spin, I'd break a lot less of the drivetrain on my bike :rofl:

I still find I'm at an advantage climbing technical stuff being a grunter. It's a lot harder for a spinner to get enough power off half a pedal stroke for a step-up mid climb.

Wait... bad biking habits or something? Whoops :confused:

MalibuStacy
06-11-2015, 09:02 AM
So, excuse my lack of terminology, what is grunting?

D'z Nutz
06-11-2015, 09:03 AM

And spinning.

Is it when you're biking and using improper gears for the situation?

Moonracer
06-11-2015, 09:30 AM

What he means is he is just hammering hard on the down stroke only instead of spinning which is normally when you have a clipless pedaling system.You not only put power down on the down stroke but all the way around the full pedal revolution.

Ya this thread has derailed...... ;)

ColoDano
06-11-2015, 09:40 AM

I would define grunting as riding in a difficult gear for the speed, so that you are using your muscle to push through the gear as opposed to spinning the pedals at a decent rpm, or "cadence".

Generally speaking, a cadence of 80-95 rpm is the most efficient pedaling speed, as you are using a more circular motion and all of your leg/ trunk muscles to maintain that motion, instead of just hammering down each pedal stroke.

This may be slightly easier with clipless pedals or toe straps, but should be easy with flat pedals as well.

I also hammer at a lower speed sometimes, but that is usually for a short burst of speed, or up a small incline. If I anticipate a hill, I will shift gradually to maintain my pedal speed and bike speed as mich as possible.

So far as gearing, I ride a big gearset on my mtn bike, and generally stay in the big ring up front for anything other than singletrack riding.

gogreen
06-11-2015, 10:16 AM
^Agreed with that definition.

Spinning on an incline also makes it easier to shift smoothly. Putting full torque on the pedals at low rpm makes it harder for the chain to jump to the next sprocket, so you may find yourself unable to shift down when you need that lower gear.

codetrap
06-11-2015, 12:41 PM

Cword
06-11-2015, 02:06 PM
Commonly known as a Track Stand

Originally posted by codetrap

Like this?

mZgDdNoHn4o

Cword
06-11-2015, 02:20 PM
Bad Cycling Habits?

Riding in the door zone. Got a car? Park it at a curb, open the door all the way, stand at the end of the door; this is the beginning of where it is safe to ride.

Weaving in and out of the "parking zone" rather than sticking to a line clear of parked cars. Be visible and predictable.

Not signaling your intentions early. You need your hands for breaking and turning so signal early before they are tied up doing critical tasks.

Riding too far to the right. The law uses the word "practicable" not possible. The extreme right is full of hazards you'll need to dodge, like debris, grates, noses of vehicles who pull way forward to "see"

The shoulder check weave. If you can't shoulder check while holding a straight line seriously consider a bike, helmet, or eyeglass mounted mirror.