PDA

View Full Version : Subaru Legacy Alignment - Requires new "Bolts" for Camber?

freshprince1
06-10-2015, 03:12 PM
Quick question...I took my 2005 Legacy GT to a Ford dealership for an alignment, thinking that it's pretty standard and won't need any special attention.

I got a call back saying the alignment is done and is in spec, but in order to have the proper camber, I'll need a new bolt on each corner? Without the bolts, the camber is off, and they cost about $58 per corner.

Is this right? I've never heard of this before.

KRyn
06-10-2015, 03:29 PM
http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/showthread.php?6365-Camber-Bolt-FAQ-and-Tutorial

freshprince1
06-10-2015, 04:21 PM
^^^ Thanks, I actually read through that before posting here. Good description on what the bolts are and what they do.

However, I was more looking to see if replacing these bolts are standard procedure when there are no aftermarket suspension component in place? It says they can be used when the proper camber cannot be achieved...but is this a fact of life with a Subaru? Or did they mess up when doing the alignment?

jltabot
06-10-2015, 10:05 PM
how far off are the camber readings from factory spec that they measured? how much do you care about tire wear?

anything off by 0.25 degrees (camber) may cause a pull, but then you'll need another alignment if you decide to use the new bolts. I'm not sure about subaru specific but i know in general if something is off and shims (or in your case, bolts) are needed to correct an angle, it's pretty standard.. even if there isn't any aftermarket suspension

ColoDano
06-11-2015, 09:22 AM
Sounds a bit odd that a stock car would need new bolts. I have seen lowered Imprezas need rear bolts to line up to factory spec well, but mine did not need any new camber bolts to align right, and it is about 2" lower than stock, has different control arms etc.

freshprince1
06-11-2015, 10:43 AM
Thanks guys. I'm having them take a second look at it, as the steering is still off a bit. Looks like they'll refund it all and I'll likely just take it back to Vex. But man...Vex wanted $250 for an alignment, and this dealership was $120.

Skidro
06-11-2015, 12:27 PM
I used to get my alignment done at Integra tire and it was also around $100... One time I had a worn out tie rod end and they told me about it before doing any work. Maybe try them out on Ogden

Perfect Dark
06-11-2015, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by freshprince1
Thanks guys. I'm having them take a second look at it, as the steering is still off a bit. Looks like they'll refund it all and I'll likely just take it back to Vex. But man...Vex wanted $250 for an alignment, and this dealership was $120.

Yeah, because VEX farms it out...what a ridiculous price to pay for a basic alignment.

cancer man
06-12-2015, 05:30 AM
Take it to Country hills Toyota 129.95 for a 4 wheel align.Scions are scoobys anyways.