PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian Visa

dibbz
06-29-2015, 01:06 PM
I have searched a few of the older threads, but I was hoping to get a recent account from someone who has applied for a Brazilian Visa from the Vancouver consulate. What was the turnaround time, any specific problems, or things they nitpicked about?

killramos
06-29-2015, 01:12 PM
My mother just got one ( sponsored by a company operating in brazil) took ~14 days .

Because she had a letter there was basically no problems. She used to be a permanent resident of Brazil as well. Shouldn't be difficult to get a tourist visa but it can take time. You also have to surrender your passport for that time frame.

It has been years since i have been through the process though.

I think there are agencies in town who can prepare your application for you for a modest fee, they are connected with the consulate as well so paying them "guarantees" your acceptance :rofl:

if this is for the Olympics the visa should be waved from what i have read.

dibbz
06-29-2015, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the info! The problem I'm facing is that I need my passport for a US trip at the end of July. So I am hoping if I send it tomorrow to the consulate I would get it before the July 27th. Otherwise I'm screwed for the US.

P.S. Should have gotten a Nexus card!

killramos
06-29-2015, 01:33 PM
^ you cant get the visa rushed but its $$$

When are you going to Brazil?

dibbz
06-29-2015, 01:46 PM
Friends are thinking of going September 5th, but my US trip is from Jul 27 - Aug 14. Applying when I got back would be tighter (by 2 days) than doing it now.

killramos
06-29-2015, 01:49 PM
Yea just get it in now asap. Apparently things are better for western canada than most because of the new Vancouver consulate.

dibbz
06-29-2015, 02:41 PM
Yeah you're right I am going to send it in tomorrow and hope for the best. However, as a side note does the Alberta driver's license count and an Enhanced Driver's License that can be used to the cross the border by car (going for a road trip in the US)?

killramos
06-29-2015, 02:43 PM
^ Nope

Alternative to Canadian Passport

The Department has worked with Canadian provincial and federal officials to pursue enhanced drivers licenses as an alternative to the Canadian passport. Four Canadian provinces (British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec) are issuing EDLs to Canadian citizens. Canadian citizens can present an EDL when entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean through a land or sea port of entry.

http://www.dhs.gov/enhanced-drivers-licenses-what-are-they

Feruk
06-29-2015, 02:58 PM
I went to Brazil and my buddies went through the application process (I have EU passport and didn't need a visa). They had a nightmare of a time getting one. Two had to cancel their trip due to Visa not coming back in time and absolutely ZERO fucks given by the Brazilian embassy staff. Turnaround time was over 60 days!!

Unless something has drastically changed in 4 years, if you don't have your visa already, you're not going to Brazil in September. Sending in your passport tomorrow will just mean you're not going to the USA either...

dibbz
06-29-2015, 04:01 PM
Yeah Feruk I read that old post with your buddies not getting their passport in time which is making me very cautious. The Vancouver consulate has a website which lists their turnaround time as 10 days right now (it seems to be able to change). I'll gather all my documents and figure it out tomorrow.

killramos
06-29-2015, 04:32 PM
^ That was consistent with what my mom experienced just a couple weeks ago ( she is down there visiting my dad right now)

I know for a fact he didn't wait 60 days either.

jowat
07-15-2015, 12:29 AM
Not sure if you've had any luck with getting the visa. My daughter went to Brazil last summer...we rushed her visa and got it back within a week. It was ridiculous the amount of sensitive information they required but we managed to have everything in order. Phoning the embassy in Vancouver helped flag her visa application and get it moving quicker. They were super nice and reassuring. Pm me if you've got any questions on the documentation.

Renagades
07-15-2015, 02:18 AM
Getting a visa for the world cup was a nightmare. We sent everything in about month and half beforehand and there was nothing wrong with what we sent in. The Vancouver embassy managed to take its time and eventually fuck up our address for delivery two days before our plane was supposed to leave so my gf ended up having to pick up our passports from the distribution center the morning we left. Pretty stressful time and I recommend getting your application in asap.