PDA

View Full Version : quick class 6 question

Skrilla
07-04-2015, 08:59 AM
Going to do the riding exam next week, and I just had a couple questions to clarify for the exam. When stopping do they ding you for putting both feet down? I've been told to make sure and keep right foot on brake and bike in gear.

Also do they require you to signal when going from left of center to right of lane preparing to turn? Should you cancel when getting to right of lane then re signal before turn, or just do it in one signal? Does this change for turning right into a bike lane, in reading you should enter the bike lane then signal out to left of center after the turn?

Any other pointers would be great! been reading through these threads to prepare, just a couple things I wasn't 100% on.

HomespunLobster
07-04-2015, 09:02 AM
I never asked since I always stop with my left foot down and my right foot on the brake. it's just good practice to do so. And you always want your bike in gear if you're in traffic. You never know if you'll have to get out of the way of something.

You technically own the lane you are in. You don't have to signal to change position in the lane, but if you're about to turn you should turn your signal on in preparation to do so.

revelations
07-04-2015, 10:39 AM
Keeping the foot on the brake and bike in gear is something I would do for the test.

No need to signal if just youre moving from lane position 1 to 3 for eg, BUT if your moving from 1-3 to make a right hand turn, then yes, start signalling early.

Also, slow speed riding is the hardest thing to do for many bikers. Practice and it will come in handy more than just during the test (ie. real life).

ercchry
07-04-2015, 11:18 AM
Agree with everyone thats posted

The road test is pretty easy, maybe practice hill starts? Also get over early for turns, thats the one thing that i got dinged for since i was going for more of a racing line. They want to see you block the path of anyone that may also want to turn behind you.

Mibz
07-04-2015, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
thats the one thing that i got dinged for since i was going for more of a racing line. They want to see you block the path of anyone that may also want to turn behind you. Haha, yep, exactly this. Buddy sped up and put his car between me and the curb because I took a wider line for a right turn. Told me to make sure cars can never do that.

eur0
07-04-2015, 12:18 PM
To add to what ercchry was saying the only thing I got dinged on was turning right at a stop but I was more on the left side of the lane and they said a small car or bike could try and squeeze by so you want to hold the side you're turning on.

GotRice?
07-07-2015, 04:55 PM
dont forget to cancel your signals!!

Skrilla
07-07-2015, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, went and did the exam today. All went perfect, ready to ride!!

D'z Nutz
07-07-2015, 10:52 PM
Any pointers that haven't been mentioned while it's still fresh in your head?

Skrilla
07-08-2015, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Any pointers that haven't been mentioned while it's still fresh in your head?

Only thibg i got dinged for was i got up close at a light to the car infront
Honestly its really straight forward. Use dominant lane position and try not to swerve too much. And of course make it damn obvious your always lookin around.

Good luck!

D'z Nutz
07-08-2015, 08:44 AM
Yeah I keep telling me it can't possibly be that difficult, I'm just concerned about messing up on simple stuff like the uphill start and canceling my signals.

Plus I'm not sure if I should just go do it now or wait until I buy a bike to practice on and be familiar with. I'd hate to be tested with a bike I'm unfamiliar with and get dinged on something stupid that's a fault of the bike.

GotRice?
07-08-2015, 09:20 AM
I think you should probably use hand signals as well. Make sure to cover the brake during uncontrolled intersection. Stop on a hill, start on a hill, make sure you shoulder check, don't speed or go too slow (typical road test stuff). honestly, if you can get a bike. Ride around for a week or two with a buddy and it'll be a piece of cake. Worst thing you can do is just go take the test without much practice(or in any scenario).

firebane
07-08-2015, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by GotRice?
I think you should probably use hand signals as well. Make sure to cover the brake during uncontrolled intersection. Stop on a hill, start on a hill, make sure you shoulder check, don't speed or go too slow (typical road test stuff). honestly, if you can get a bike. Ride around for a week or two with a buddy and it'll be a piece of cake. Worst thing you can do is just go take the test without much practice(or in any scenario).

Hand signals during a test would be a big no no. They expect both hands on the bar for full control of the bike.

Covering the brake and clutch are almost 2nd nature to most bike riders.

Skrilla
07-08-2015, 09:44 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Yeah I keep telling me it can't possibly be that difficult, I'm just concerned about messing up on simple stuff like the uphill start and canceling my signals.

Plus I'm not sure if I should just go do it now or wait until I buy a bike to practice on and be familiar with. I'd hate to be tested with a bike I'm unfamiliar with and get dinged on something stupid that's a fault of the bike. [/QUOTE

Signal out of the hill start!! The instructor told me I was one of few who did it. I felt the same way, I had it so built up in my head. It was over before I knew it, it was just remembering the basics of the road ie. uncontrolled intersections, speed limits etc.

GotRice?
07-08-2015, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by firebane

Hand signals during a test would be a big no no. They expect both hands on the bar for full control of the bike.

Covering the brake and clutch are almost 2nd nature to most bike riders.

Interesting point, using hand signals makes it way more noticeable than just the signals on the bike. It'll make others more aware of your intentions as its difficult to differentiate sometimes by just using the dinky signals on the bike (Especially those with integrated tailights. That said, I do agree with you about having full control of the bike. So I don't know what to think anymore...

*edit also i'm lead to believe that even with hand signals 80% of drivers wont even know WTF you're doing....

D'z Nutz
07-08-2015, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by GotRice?
*edit also i'm lead to believe that even with hand signals 80% of drivers wont even know WTF you're doing....

As someone who bikes to work regularly, I'm lead to believe 90% of cyclists don't even know their hand signals.

firebane
07-08-2015, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

As someone who bikes to work regularly, I'm lead to believe 90% of cyclists don't even know their hand signals.

Hand signals to cyclists is like turn signals to car drivers in this City :rofl:

Mibz
07-08-2015, 12:53 PM
Don't use hand signals.

And the testing center is gonna use very similar bikes to what you rode in training. If you can't hop on one of them and pass the test then there's a good chance you don't deserve your license.

That said, I'm sure you'll do fine. Just go do it and when you're done you'll wonder why you stressed so much.

jltabot
07-13-2015, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
Don't use hand signals.

It's up to you if you want to use it, but the examiner had told me that if I mess it up he would ding me for it so I didn't bother and just stuck to the turn signals.

It's much easier than people play it out to be in their head. Just remember your standard road rules and stay safe.

schurchill39
07-22-2015, 10:48 AM
When doing a hill start to they tell you they want you to put the bike in neutral then back in gear? Or is that something you should just do? I have a friend who just took it and said that was the procedure but I would never have thought to do that. I would have kept it in gear and just applied the back brake.

ercchry
07-22-2015, 10:52 AM
Its been a while but i vaguely remember doing that, they give you instructions on what to do and you just have to follow them. I think its to simulate a full stop or something

Mibz
07-22-2015, 11:20 AM
Pretty sure I had to put the kickstand down for hill start, which means putting it in neutral first.

JVR1
07-22-2015, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by schurchill39
When doing a hill start to they tell you they want you to put the bike in neutral then back in gear? Or is that something you should just do? I have a friend who just took it and said that was the procedure but I would never have thought to do that. I would have kept it in gear and just applied the back brake.

if i remember correctly. they ask you to put it in neutral, keep your right hand on the brake, raise your left hand in the air to show you aren't hold it at a friction point and then you proceed with launching when you're ready.

stay committed to moving, i don't think you're allowed to tap your foot down again once you start.

jacky4566
07-22-2015, 11:26 AM
I used hand signals when I did my test and nothing was said. I don't think they can ding you for it since its technically legal.

Hill start for me was leaving it running in neutral. Both hands off the bars with the tire against the curb. Then proceed when ready. No kickstand.

kenny
07-22-2015, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by jacky4566
I used hand signals when I did my test and nothing was said. I don't think they can ding you for it since its technically legal.

What people meant is that hand signals are optional. If you use them and do it incorrectly (ex. wrong hand signal for right turn) you will get dinged points whereas you can't go wrong just activating the right turn signal on the bike. No benefit to using hand signals (aside from maybe not having to remember to cancel the signal).

Instructors at Too Cool recommended against hand signals for that reason.

Skrilla
07-22-2015, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by schurchill39

I was just asked to pull over, stop and then take off. I never took the bike out of gear. I just treated it like a normal stop, left foot down. Just remember to signal out when starting again. It probably varies a lot based on the instructor, or mine was lazy :dunno:

Unknown303
07-23-2015, 08:06 PM
I never had to do a hill start. Was only dinged for not slowing down at an uncontrolled intersection. Personally I think hand signals are stupid. Might as well make sure your bikes fucking lights do a good enough job that you don't have to take your hands of the bars.