PDA

View Full Version : O'Tasty WonTons

Seth1968
07-10-2015, 10:54 AM
One of my favourite foods is pork Wonton soup, so in my typical cheap assness mode, I bought two different types of frozen pork Wontons from two local Oriential grocery stores in Lethbridge. Neither tasted anything like pork Wontons. I was basically eating a dumpling filled with Ginger:dunno:

I then found out that Superstore and The Wholesale Club carries a few flavours of frozen Wontons by the brand name "O'Tasty". I bought the pork and veggie flavour, and they're delicious.

The flavouring I use for the broth is soy sauce, pepper, garlic, and Sriracha hot sauce (red cap).

95EG6P
07-10-2015, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968
One of my favourite foods is pork Wonton soup, so in my typical cheap assness mode, I bought two different types of frozen pork Wontons from two local Oriential grocery stores in Lethbridge. Neither tasted anything like pork Wontons. I was basically eating a dumpling filled with Ginger:dunno:

I then found out that Superstore and The Wholesale Club carries a few flavours of frozen Wontons by the brand name "O'Tasty". I bought the pork and veggie flavour, and they're delicious.

The flavouring I use for the broth is soy sauce, pepper, garlic, and Sriracha hot sauce (red cap).

you found it in supertstore which section the frozen one and which location i love won ton. i go to the frozen dim sum places in calgary to get won ton but it is so far :cry:

Street_Soldier
07-10-2015, 11:05 AM
Add a little sesame oil to the broth.:thumbsup:

lilmira
07-10-2015, 11:08 AM
I used to buy the frozen ones from Wai's in China Town. The ladies make them there.

DENZILDON
07-10-2015, 11:11 AM
I just make my own wonton

Seth1968
07-10-2015, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Street_Soldier
Add a little sesame oil to the broth.:thumbsup:

Good idea. Thanks:)

The Superstore in Lethbridge used to have them in the frozen bin section along with frozen burgers, etc. Then they moved them to a separate Oriental frozen food section in the glass enclosures.

01RedDX
07-10-2015, 11:12 AM

Seth1968
07-10-2015, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by DENZILDON
I just make my own wonton

You sir have a hell of a lot more patience than I:)

DENZILDON
07-10-2015, 12:52 PM
Nah, I just put on a movie and I'm normally finished half way through the movie. It's pretty easy too specially if you have a food processor to chop onions and shrimp.

TomcoPDR
07-10-2015, 08:58 PM
I love shrimp won ton

spikerS
07-10-2015, 09:11 PM
Nah, I just put on a movie and I'm normally finished half way through the movie. It's pretty easy too specially if you have a food processor to chop onions and shrimp.

Make me a batch. lol

The_Rural_Juror
07-10-2015, 09:17 PM
I make my own as well with the family. Pretty easy once you get an assembly line going. It's like meatballs in a wrapper.

SpikerS...I can trade wontons + cash for painting my garage and fixing drywall. :D

legendboy
07-10-2015, 09:25 PM
I make otasty pork and vegtable dutplings at least once a week, never seen the wontons even at t&t

spikerS
07-10-2015, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
I make my own as well with the family. Pretty easy once you get an assembly line going. It's like meatballs in a wrapper.

SpikerS...I can trade wontons + cash for painting my garage and fixing drywall. :D

oh man oh man oh man! I think we got us a deal!

bleu
07-11-2015, 09:34 PM
I was inspired by this thread and made a batch of pork and shrimp wontons. They turned out delicious. I made a lot so they are now in the freezer.

I love wonton soup! :thumbsup:

KRyn
07-11-2015, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by bleu
I was inspired by this thread and made a batch of pork and shrimp wontons. They turned out delicious. I made a lot so they are now in the freezer.

I love wonton soup! :thumbsup:

Recipe?

DENZILDON
07-12-2015, 04:03 PM
Here's mine.

Ground pork
Shrimp
Onion
Onion greens
Salt and pepper
Sesame oil
Egg

I normally put the onion and shrimp in the food processor to ground them up at the same time.

Mix them all together and that's it for the stuffing.

I normally beat and egg and use it to wipe at the wonton so in binds with the stuffing.

And that's it

bleu
07-12-2015, 05:07 PM
Here's mine.

Ground pork
Shrimp
Onion
Onion greens
Salt and pepper
Sesame oil
Egg

I normally put the onion and shrimp in the food processor to ground them up at the same time.

Mix them all together and that's it for the stuffing.

I normally beat and egg and use it to wipe at the wonton so in binds with the stuffing.

And that's it

Pretty much what I did, except I substituted the onions for finely sliced ginger. I put in green onion into the soup.

GQBalla
07-12-2015, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
In Calgary, I have not found anything better than King's wontons. Expensive but worth it.

Kings wontons aren't even wontons. :barf: