PDA

View Full Version : Staying less than 24 hours in Shanghai - Visa Required?

eglove
07-16-2015, 06:01 PM
So the Chinese Calgary Consulate webpage sucks...and they are only open 9-12pm (WTF)

I am going to Taiwan for three weeks in September. On the way to Taiwan I have an overnight layover (hotel included in airfare) in Shanghai and then on the way back it's straight to Vancouver from Taipei.

Do I need to get a chinese VISA for that stay? I can't seem to find a correct answer anywhere. Less than 72 hours is a VISA exemption? or should I just get one to be on the safe side.

Can anyone help me out?

infected
07-16-2015, 06:21 PM
Depends if you will be leaving the airport.

You do not need a tourist visa if you are:

a) on a continuing international flight;

b) hold tickets on connecting flights or if you remain at the airport for less than 24 hours; (If you wish to leave the airport while awaiting transit, you must request a stopover permit from the Chinese border authorities at the airport.)

c) visiting the following cities for up to 72 hours while in transit, between two pre-purchased international flights, via their international airports listed below:

- Beijing via the Beijing Capital International Airport;
- Chengdu via the Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport;
- Chongqing via the Chongqing Jiangbei International Airport;
- Dalian via the Dalian Zhoushuizi International Airport;
- Guangzhou via the Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport;
- Guilin via the Guilin Liangjiang International Airport;
- Hangzhou via the Hangzhou Xiaoshan International Airport;
- Kunming via the Kunming Changshui International Airport;
- Shanghai via the Pudong or Hongqiao international airports;
- Shenyang via the Shenyang Taoxian International Airport; and
- Xi’an via the Xi’an Xianyang International Airport.

d) visiting Hainan Province for up to 15 days with an organized tour group of five or more travellers led by an international travel agency approved by the State Administration of Tourism and registered in Hainan Province; or

e) visiting the Zhu Jiang Delta, also known as the Pearl River Delta, for up to six days with an organized tour group coming from Hong Kong or Macao and led by a travel agency registered in Hong Kong or Macao.

Contact the nearest Chinese diplomatic or consular office for more information.

If these exceptions do not apply to you, you must obtain a visa prior to arrival in China.

http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/china

eglove
07-16-2015, 06:33 PM
Thanks, that information is definitely more clear than what I've come across. I fall under section C posted above then.

Edited original post to say I have hotel included in airfare