PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 on Amazon US.

ZenOps
07-17-2015, 05:43 AM
Amazon put it up.

$199 US for retail Windows 10 pro on USB stick
$119 US for retail Windows 10 home on USB stick.

Seth1968
07-17-2015, 06:06 AM
It's going to be free for Windows 7 and 8.1 users:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2015/may/28/five-questions-about-free-upgrade-microsoft-windows-10

In most cases, a tech wouldn't recommend an upgrade install, but rather a
clean install. However, this shouldn't be the case in this scenario, as W10 is basically W 8.1 with a few new features.

Note that almost all computer users don't need those new features.

firebane
07-17-2015, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968
It's going to be free for Windows 7 and 8.1 users:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2015/may/28/five-questions-about-free-upgrade-microsoft-windows-10

In most cases, a tech wouldn't recommend an upgrade install, but rather a
clean install. However, this shouldn't be the case in this scenario, as W10 is basically W 8.1 with a few new features.

Note that almost all computer users don't need those new features.

while there are a lot of similarities windows 10 is a completely different beast than windows 8.1.

also it's only free for insiders and people who reserved their copy through the windows update prompt as long as your copy of 7 or 8.1 was legit.

Seth1968
07-17-2015, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by firebane

while there are a lot of similarities windows 10 is a completely different beast than windows 8.1.

also it's only free for insiders and people who reserved their copy through the windows update prompt as long as your copy of 7 or 8.1 was legit.

Virtually all residential end users use their computer for the same things. That is, internet and media tasks. The very same things that even XP can do. So what's the advantage of W10 over 7 or 8.1 for the typical end user?

Also, I don't know what you mean by "insiders'. The W7 and W8.1 update prompt is clear. My customers have already been receiving it.

firebane
07-17-2015, 07:25 AM

Virtually all residential end users use their computer for the same things. That is, internet and media tasks. The very same things that even XP can do. So what's the advantage of W10 over 7 or 8.1 for the typical end user?

Also, I don't know what you mean by "insiders'. The W7 and W8.1 update prompt is clear. My customers have already been receiving it.

There are two groups of people who will be getting the upgrade for free.

First Group: Windows Insiders. This was something you could sign up for last year when the betas started rolling out. We get first dibs on most of the releases including a final release close to RTM.

Second Group: People with legitimate copies of Windows 7/8/8.1 who will receive a message through Windows Update to reserve a copy.

If you are not in either of those groups you will be waiting awhile.

Seth1968
07-17-2015, 07:29 AM

There are two groups of people who will be getting the upgrade for free.

First Group: Windows Insiders. This was something you could sign up for last year when the betas started rolling out. We get first dibs on most of the releases including a final release close to RTM.

Second Group: People with legitimate copies of Windows 7/8/8.1 who will receive a message through Windows Update to reserve a copy.

Ya, so it's free for everyone unless they're using an illegal copy of W7/W8.

Xtrema
07-17-2015, 08:48 AM
Other than gamers, who actually goes out and buy OS these days?

Just buy a new system.

Seth1968
07-17-2015, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Other than gamers, who actually goes out and buy OS these days?

Almost no one.

Techs might buy the latest OS, but that's only because they need to know what function has been moved around or renamed.

99% of computers out there are OEM.

Nufy
07-17-2015, 09:52 AM
So is this a recommended upgrade...

My wife has the W10 upgrade notice on her laptop right now.

Currently running W7.

It is having start-up issues lately so maybe this will be a good fix...

thoughts ?

J.M.
07-17-2015, 10:05 AM
^ was wondering the same thing

Thaco
07-17-2015, 10:07 AM
i used the tech preview, i like it, feels very windows 7 and less windows 8, i
ll be upgrading via update on day 1

revelations
07-17-2015, 10:12 AM
As with ANY new update or hardware, the smart people wait 3-6 months after official release/launch until buying/recommending said item to customers who need not become "testers" themselves.

That being said, sounds like W10 will become the last "version" of Windows and each update will be more like OSX in that its evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

Apple has it right IMO. Why reinvent the wheel every few years, piss off customers/clients about new interfaces/features they dont know about or dont need.

Seth1968
07-17-2015, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Nufy

Currently running W7.

thoughts ?

Originally posted by J.M.
^ was wondering the same thing

An upgrade shouldn't be used as a tool to try and "fix" issues. An analogy would be something like painting over rust.

Un upgrade to W10 isn't going to provide any relevant positives, but it will provide many possible negatives. The worst of which will be a "no start" condition.

firebane
07-17-2015, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Nufy

Currently running W7.

thoughts ?

If the machine runs with Windows 7 fine then use it. Do a re-install if you really want to.

But honestly I'm excited for Windows 10 and the preview builds have been fairly solid with a few quirks here and there and Windows 10 is going to be solid.

Mitsu3000gt
07-17-2015, 11:12 AM
Is there a chart somewhere that compares windows 7 to 10 and what I might see different?

Also do you know if I can make it look exactly like Windows 7 and 0% like Windows 8/Metro which is despise?

firebane
07-17-2015, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Is there a chart somewhere that compares windows 7 to 10 and what I might see different?

Also do you know if I can make it look exactly like Windows 7 and 0% like Windows 8/Metro which is despise?

No you can not make Windows 10 look like Windows 7 at all.

As I've said Windows 10 is a completely different animal then Windows 8. If you like Windows 7 you'll like Windows 10 as it lost 99% of the ugliness of Windows 8.

01RedDX
07-17-2015, 11:30 AM

Xtrema
07-17-2015, 11:30 AM

Other than preparing for DirectX 12 which is almost certain will be Windows 10 only, I don't see why you need Windows 10 if 7 is serving you fine.

The only new must have is universal app but since almost nobody is using Windows Phone, I don't know how universal app helps anyway.

In the end, there will be less and less drivers for Windows 7 which will force you on newer version of Windows on new hardware. And if you have to pick, 10 is way better than 8.* from GUI perspective.

But if you don't want to or need to, you can still ride on 7 until 2020.

J.M.
07-17-2015, 11:34 AM
Guess I'll upgrade since it's free lol

Mitsu3000gt
07-17-2015, 11:36 AM
Hmm, I think I'll put it on my Zenbook and evaluate it from there. It has Windows 8 and I hate it so much I haven't been using it as much as I'd like to. Classic Shell is good but not 100%.

Sounds like it may not be too bad.

sabad66
07-17-2015, 11:37 AM

The whole point of Win 10 is to bring back the win 7 feel (start menu, windowed/resizeable modern apps) as opposed to win8 (start screen, full screen modern apps), so you'll be happy with Win 10

know1edge
07-17-2015, 06:18 PM

Seth1968
07-17-2015, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by know1edge

If you can stand the eternal boot up time on Windows 7... I think it takes me about 3 seconds to boot up and login on 8.1 or 10.

A cold start on a properly running W7 system should take no more than about 1 minute. A true cold start on a W8 system is about half that.

The 3 seconds you mention is not from a true cold start, but rather the wake time from sleep mode.

In addition, cold start time shouldn't be a factor. A computer should just be allowed to go into sleep mode, with a shutdown or restart about once a week.

turbotrip
07-17-2015, 06:51 PM
^my laptop running windows 8.1 takes about 5-8 seconds for a "true cold start".

4DoorGTZ
07-17-2015, 07:06 PM
Got the real deal Win10 pro last night via update to my insider edition. Yay for free

Seth1968
07-17-2015, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip
^my laptop running windows 8.1 takes about 5-8 seconds for a "true cold start".

Is that with an SSD drive?

My 7 year old HP Desktop has a 7200 RPM HDD drive. It runs 8.1 and takes 57 seconds from post to the time I can open my home page in Chrome.

My 6 month old Lenovo laptop starts in 1:16 (from post to Chrome's home page). It's slower boot compared to my HP Desktop is due to it having a 5400 RPM HDD.

Neither run an antivirus, and msconfig is clean of needless crap.

EDIT: Both systems have UEFI disabled, so my hand off from POST to Windows takes a bit longer.

CompletelyNumb
07-17-2015, 07:30 PM
Still no upgrade notice for me, running legit 8.1

I'll likely take the upgrade when it does come around.

jacky4566
07-17-2015, 08:37 PM
Does upgrading from 8.1 pro get you 10 pro?

ShermanEF9
07-17-2015, 10:30 PM
im going to try it on my laptop and see how i like it first.

Seth1968
07-18-2015, 05:32 AM
Please see here to find out why you may not have seen the W10 icon:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/i-want-to-reserve-my-free-copy-of-windows-10-but-i/848b5cce-958b-49ae-a132-a999a883265b?auth=1

See here to get W10:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/windows-10-upgrade

FixedGear
07-18-2015, 10:21 AM
^^yea this has been a ton of bullshit for me. i don't see the W10 icon, and that batch file doesn't work on my machine. that second link you provided is totally non-informative, spent like 20 minutes fucking around with that yesterday and got nowhere.

i'm a windows user, but hate microsoft more and more every day. "Cortana" - just the sound of that makes me shudder. sounds just like "encarta", this is why microsoft is failing. :rofl:

01RedDX
07-18-2015, 10:54 AM

Cos
07-18-2015, 10:54 AM

firebane
07-18-2015, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by FixedGear
^^yea this has been a ton of bullshit for me. i don't see the W10 icon, and that batch file doesn't work on my machine. that second link you provided is totally non-informative, spent like 20 minutes fucking around with that yesterday and got nowhere.

i'm a windows user, but hate microsoft more and more every day. "Cortana" - just the sound of that makes me shudder. sounds just like "encarta", this is why microsoft is failing. :rofl:

What do you have your updates set as? Because that notification is part of a Windows Update KB that gets pushed out. If you have them turned off or not to notify you and you never update you won't see it.

Seth1968
07-18-2015, 11:14 AM

As I stated, my first link was only posted to show the reasons why you may not be seeing the upgrade icon.

BTW- On my 6 month old Lenovo laptop, the icon appeared this morning.

Again, if you're not seeing the upgrade icon then:

Your device isn’t up-to-date with at least Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update

Windows Update is turned off or is not set to received updates automatically

You’ve blocked or uninstalled the necessary Windows Update functionality.

Go to Window's update from your start menu and get all available updates. If you see a message that Windows is up to date, then click on "Check For Updates" to be sure. After each update, restart the computer and repeat these steps until no further updates are available.

Note that I'm only giving this info to those that insist on getting W10, as I don't recommend it. At least not at this time.

turbotrip
07-18-2015, 12:09 PM

Is that with an SSD drive?

Dunno its an i7 Dell XPS13

Seth1968
07-18-2015, 12:19 PM
Yes, it's an SSD.

Most laptop owners have a regular HDD, and will see a true cold boot time from about 45 seconds to 1 minute.

Nice laptop btw.

Seth1968
07-18-2015, 12:45 PM
I'll be installing W10 on my new Lenovo and my 7 year old HP, just because as a tech, I need to see what has been moved around and/or re-named. I did beta test W10 about a year ago using an iso, and as expected...yawn, no relevant changes for the average end user.

If one does the free upgrade, the concern is what happens if you need to restore the system to factory condition, or have to replace the hard drive. If you use the factory image, you'll be back to W7 or W8. There is no word yet as to how MS is going to address this. In relation to that, I already have my W8 product keys written down for both my systems, so I'm curious to see if it changes after the upgrade.

NOTE-If you run W8, use Magic Jelly Bean Key finder to find your product key. When you run it, the key will be shown in the "CD Key" heading. If W8 ever needs an install on a new drive, that key will be a life saver.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/magical_jelly_bean_keyfinder.html

NOTE 2: When you install MJBKF, choose the "custom" option and uncheck the box that installs some other third party crap.

firebane
07-18-2015, 01:09 PM
nirsoft produkey is far better and standlone in my opinion.

I loaded up a few preview isos starting with a really old one but ended up with 10130 and then moved to 10166. After going to 10166 I got the 10240 update and last night its fully active and no watermark on the desktop anymore :)

I am happy as as Seth said I need to know this stuff being a tech.

FixedGear
07-18-2015, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
If you don't have this icon:

http://i.imgur.com/xL4Pgd0.jpg

and you've gone through all the steps outlined here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/i-want-to-reserve-my-free-copy-of-windows-10-but-i/848b5cce-958b-49ae-a132-a999a883265b?auth=1

and still don't have it, then your copy of windows isn't legit/activated.

It's a legit copy of windows

FixedGear
07-18-2015, 03:17 PM

What do you have your updates set as? Because that notification is part of a Windows Update KB that gets pushed out. If you have them turned off or not to notify you and you never update you won't see it.

The updates are on auto download

FixedGear
07-18-2015, 03:20 PM

Again, if you're not seeing the upgrade icon then:

Your device isn’t up-to-date with at least Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update

Windows Update is turned off or is not set to received updates automatically

You’ve blocked or uninstalled the necessary Windows Update functionality.

None of those apply to me though.

Go to Window's update from your start menu and get all available updates. If you see a message that Windows is up to date, then click on "Check For Updates" to be sure. After each update, restart the computer and repeat these steps until no further updates are available.

Yep, done this too to no avail.

Seth1968
07-18-2015, 04:52 PM
FG,

Try this batch file. It should be different than the one you tried, and this one seems to work for most:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0u0au9xgy6ss18p/win10fix_full.zip?dl=0

Just download it to the desktop, extract it, and double click on the extracted file. Once completed, restart, and check for updates again.

CompletelyNumb
07-19-2015, 01:49 PM
Batch file did the trick for me. Thanks Seth.

Seth1968
07-19-2015, 06:56 PM
You're welcome.

All attempts at getting my older HP desktop to show the icon have failed. (It originally came with Vista, but I installed W8 on it).

The amount of people experiencing this issue is phenomenal. They're spending hours making sure the criteria is met, trying reg hacks, and other various methods.

What does MS have to say about this boondoggle? Nothing. They're hiding under a blanky.

Seth1968
07-19-2015, 07:14 PM
Woo hoo! I found the problem.

A few minutes after I wrote my last post, I sat back in my chair and thought, "There has to be a simple, yet unorthodox fix for this".

I knew that KB 3035583 was responsible for showing that W10 icon, so I thought to uninstall and re-install that update. This is a common fix for a program that is corrupt beyond repair, but to do so for a Windows update, is generally unheard of. But, I did it anyway with little hope it would work.

After the uninstall, I went to Window's update and it installed KB3035583. I was doing a few things at once, and I don't even renumber if I restarted the computer after the update was re-installed, but the W10 appeared in the mean time.

FixedGear
07-20-2015, 06:38 AM
I remembered I'm running W7 Enterprise that I got through work. I don't think they offer the free updgrade for Enterprise users. This machine does however have a standalone license for W7 (it's a thinkpad), anyone know how I can upgrade using my produce key? Not sure I can even read it off the bottom though as this laptop is like 6 years old.

firebane
07-20-2015, 07:00 AM
I remembered I'm running W7 Enterprise that I got through work. I don't think they offer the free updgrade for Enterprise users. This machine does however have a standalone license for W7 (it's a thinkpad), anyone know how I can upgrade using my produce key? Not sure I can even read it off the bottom though as this laptop is like 6 years old.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

R!zz0
07-20-2015, 11:55 AM
I have 3 computers in the house. Will it let me get free copies for all the computers with the same email?

Seth1968
07-20-2015, 12:03 PM
Yes. Provided they meet the criteria.

Seth1968
07-21-2015, 07:49 AM
A day after reserving, I received this link via email:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq?faq=upgradeall&ocid=reserve_r_PostReserve_mod1_faq

The cool part is this:

Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?

Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need to purchase Windows 10 or go back to your prior version of Windows and upgrade again. You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

FixedGear
07-21-2015, 10:17 PM
Anyone know if it's possible to get the upgrade using a key that isn't actually installed on a aching? Or will they insist that I uninstall my enterprise and reinstall the oem version?

Seth1968
07-22-2015, 07:03 AM
Yes, you would have to remove 7 Enterprise, and install the OEM of 7.

I may have missed it FG, but why the desire to get W10?

Pacman
07-22-2015, 08:19 AM
I've got an older laptop running XP which I no longer use due to the security flaws.

Would you guys suggest upgrading to Windows 10 or trying to use one of the free OS's like Linux Mint?

Computer is used for internet and media

Seth1968
07-22-2015, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Pacman
I've got an older laptop running XP which I no longer use due to the security flaws.

Would you guys suggest upgrading to Windows 10 or trying to use one of the free OS's like Linux Mint?

Trying to put W10 on an XP system is inadvisable for many reasons, the main one being hardware compatibility.

Your idea of a Linux distro is the way to go.

firebane
07-22-2015, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Pacman

Define older? Are we talking 10 years? Or say 5?

Mitsu3000gt
07-22-2015, 10:52 AM
I've got all the latest updates now, and my Windows 7 desktop has a button with the option to get Windows 10. My Windows 8 laptop still doesn't have the option...Can I force it somehow? I want to try it out on there first.

Seth1968
07-22-2015, 11:05 AM
I've got all the latest updates now, and my Windows 7 desktop has a button with the option to get Windows 10. My Windows 8 laptop still doesn't have the option...Can I force it somehow? I want to try it out on there first.

If the laptop meets the criteria and you're still not getting the W10 icon, then try this, as I couldn't get the icon on one of systems:

Uninstall update KB 3035583. Restart the computer and go to windows update and force "check for updates" if needed. Once KB 3035583 is reinstalled, restart the computer and you should see the icon in a few minutes or less.

Mitsu3000gt
07-22-2015, 11:48 AM
^^ Thanks I'll give it a day or so then try that if I still have nothing.

It's a legit copy of W8 factory installed on the laptop, so I assume it meets the criteria.

Seth1968
07-22-2015, 12:24 PM
You're welcome.

If you're running a fully updated W8.1 (not the enterprise version), you should have received the W10 offer by now.

The only reason I'm getting W10, is because come July 29th, a lot of my current and future customers will be running it. Otherwise, I recommend waiting a few months as there are bound to be a few bugs that will need to be worked out. Note that the free upgrade will be available for the next year.

Further reasons why you shouldn't upgrade at this time (some may not apply to all end users, and #9 is most significant)...

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2945195/microsoft-windows/9-reasons-not-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-yet.html

firebane
07-22-2015, 12:35 PM
You're welcome.

If you're running a fully updated W8.1 (not the enterprise version), you should have received the W10 offer by now.

The only reason I'm getting W10, is because come July 29th, a lot of my current and future customers will be running it. Otherwise, I recommend waiting a few months as there are bound to be a few bugs that will need to be worked out. Note that the free upgrade will be available for the next year.

Further reasons why you shouldn't upgrade at this time (some may not apply to all end users, and #9 is most significant)...

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2945195/microsoft-windows/9-reasons-not-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-yet.html

Point #1 .. Who cares? I mean honestly its the same argument every time a OS is released. People had to upgrade for Windows Vista and Windows 7... won't be any different with Windows 10 unless your system is a few years old.

Point #4 .. The gadgets that come with Windows 7 by default no longer work. Most of them if not all have been deactivated by Microsoft due to security vulnerabilities.

Point #7.. Uh.. really? Again the same crap as any other OS.

This article is just spewing the same stuff you hear all the time regarding a new OS upgrade.

Tik-Tok
07-22-2015, 12:39 PM
Well, I've tried your trick 3 times Seth, and the W10 symbol still isn't there. (and yes, I'm running genuine windows 7)

Seth1968
07-22-2015, 01:00 PM
Firebane,

Note that I said not all of the points apply to all people, and that #9 was the most significant.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Well, I've tried your trick 3 times Seth, and the W10 symbol still isn't there. (and yes, I'm running genuine windows 7)

The trick to uninstall and reinstall update 3035583? If so, as long as you're not running Enterprise or RT, and removed and re-installed the correct update, I have no idea at this point as to why you're not getting the icon.

All I can suggest is making sure it was 3035583 that you uninstalled and re-installed and periodically restarting the computer and force a Window's update. It's also possible that if you've done all that, it might take a few days for the icon to appear.

This whole thing is convoluted:)

EDIT: Do you have any hidden system tray icons?

Seth1968
07-22-2015, 01:12 PM
It's also possible that your antivirus is seeing that update as Adware. The only way to know this for sure, is to disable your antivirus for a while. Don't worry about disabling your antivirus temporarily, as all antivirus programs are basically useless in preventing infections.

Mitsu3000gt
07-28-2015, 11:02 AM
I got the 3035583 update on my W8 Laptop last night (thought I had it before but I didn't). Still no Windows 10 notice after letting it sit for half an hour, multiple reboots and update checks. I will try again tonight.

Seth1968
07-28-2015, 11:32 AM
^ It might take a little longer.

I'm now getting a couple of calls a day from people wondering if they should click on the icon and proceed with the W10 install.

I suspect that come July 29th when W10 is rolled out, my phone will be ringing non stop.

ZenOps
09-25-2015, 12:43 PM
Congratulate me, I've finally moved the main rig from Windows XP to Windows 10 USB retail.

Damn, this thing underlines and autocorrects spelling errors - ROFL. That's why you people never have grammatical or spelling errors.

Things that pissed me off about the install:

USB would not boot no matter what BIOS settings I use. I just burned an ISO to DVD instead. All I really wanted was the retail product key anyhow.

Hard drive with XP, although disabled in BIOS, will show up anyhow. No idea how that works. I will probably just end up unplugging it as its the last spinning hard drive I have left in the system.

Sound blaster 2ZS sounded craptacular. It defaulted to -12 db for bass and treble, and added some sort of checkbox for "enhanced sound" Turned it all off, and it sounds like it should.