PDA

View Full Version : Warranty work with leveling kit installed?

schurchill39
07-21-2015, 09:18 AM
I've researched this a lot online but most of the forums were from American forums so I'm not 100% sure how that transfers over to Canada.

I have a 2014 Ford F150 ecoboost. At 11,xxx KM I put a 2 inch level on the front and had it aligned the next day at the dealership. Now I'm at 18,xxx KM and I have a pretty significant clunk coming from the front right tire area when you turn the wheel all the way to the left and move at slow speeds. I'm thinking its the CV joint.

From what I have read the onus is on the dealership to prove that any modifications to the vehicle were the cause of the damage. This clunk started at about 16,xxx km and there is no way a 2 inch level would alter the geometry of the suspension enough to blow a cv joint in 5k. My service adviser is crap and has already tried numerous times (unsuccessfully) to charge me for work that should be covered under warranty. I was wondering where I stand on this, and what the Canadian rules are?

r3ccOs
07-21-2015, 09:50 AM
if you look at the f1510 forums... its pretty common to get that clunk with a level on the 2014's... btw-- where did you get the level installed? Its quite a different job being that they switched to using 2 bolts to couple the hub to the lower control arm

Tik-Tok
07-21-2015, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by schurchill39
From what I have read the onus is on the dealership to prove that any modifications to the vehicle were the cause of the damage.

If you have a lawyer on retainer and the time and money to go after them, then sure, otherwise no, they'll claim it was your kit, and deny warranty. No Moss-Magnuson act up here unfortunately.

killramos
07-21-2015, 10:08 AM
My service adviser is crap and has already tried numerous times (unsuccessfully) to charge me for work that should be covered under warranty. I was wondering where I stand on this, and what the Canadian rules are?

It's not like there is only 1 ford dealer in the city... Go somewhere else if you dont like how you are treated.

Some of us don't have that luxury ( irony )

schurchill39
07-21-2015, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by r3ccOs
if you look at the f1510 forums... its pretty common to get that clunk with a level on the 2014's... btw-- where did you get the level installed? Its quite a different job being that they switched to using 2 bolts to couple the hub to the lower control arm

I did it myself with a friend who is a journeymen heavy duty mechanic. Having a two post lift was key. Its a hugeeeeeee pain in the ass with the two bolts. Instead of dropping the lower control arm we chose to compress the springs to pull them out which was a PITA. In hindsight I would have dropped the LCA and saved myself a few hours.

Another fun thing is when you break one of the bolts so you have to try and find a replacement but Ford wants you to buy a whole new shock.

danno
07-21-2015, 11:38 AM
i would assume that your out of luck. you changed the suspension, and now you have a "clunk" that's on you. if you want to keep full warranty you shouldn't be modding.

BerserkerCatSplat
07-21-2015, 11:40 AM
You changed the CV angles with aftermarket suspension parts and now (assumably) your CV has failed. That's about the easiest warranty denial I can think of.

ercchry
07-21-2015, 11:53 AM
have had mine leveled ('13 HD pack) with the adjustable bilsteins for a year now without issue... had a leaky seal though on the half shaft (i think? whatever it was, it came from the front end drivetrain) and had no issues with the warranty when it went into advantage

SkiBum5.0
07-21-2015, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
have had mine leveled ('13 HD pack) with the adjustable bilsteins for a year now without issue... had a leaky seal though on the half shaft (i think? whatever it was, it came from the front end drivetrain) and had no issues with the warranty when it went into advantage

The adjustable shock route is the only way to level without effecting your ball joints.

I have a feeling the OP is going to get denied from every dealer he visits.

jacky4566
07-21-2015, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
You changed the CV angles with aftermarket suspension parts and now (assumably) your CV has failed. That's about the easiest warranty denial I can think of.
Fork out for a new CV.

:closed:

schurchill39
07-21-2015, 03:15 PM
Yea I figured as much. Not a big deal those are the consequences of modifying anything so I have no problem paying for a new CV if thats the case.

My question was more so towards the procedure of denying warranty work because the States has the Moss-Magnuson act and I was wondering how Canadian dealers decide. Obviously in my case one could argue the leveling kit changed the geometry of the suspension causing a failure but there are plenty of cases of dealers and engineers saying its within spec.

More or less just curious if there was a general overall rule or if warranty work is up to the individual dealer.

Tik-Tok
07-21-2015, 05:23 PM

More or less just curious if there was a general overall rule or if warranty work is up to the individual dealer.

Zhariak's thread should answer that for you :rofl:

schurchill39
07-22-2015, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Zhariak's thread should answer that for you :rofl:

Ahh touche! I forgot about his (mis)adventures!

FYI r3ccOs was correct, thats the exact response the tech gave me. Overall nothing to worry about but the warranty question was still valid. It looks like with Zhariak's thread that they just do what ever the fuck they want.

r3ccOs
07-22-2015, 11:22 AM

Ahh touche! I forgot about his (mis)adventures!

FYI r3ccOs was correct, thats the exact response the tech gave me. Overall nothing to worry about but the warranty question was still valid. It looks like with Zhariak's thread that they just do what ever the fuck they want.

long story short... yup

I'm pretty much getting denied most of my work for having an AFE cat-back bolt on...

was even told that my brush guard could cause issues with the electrical

Sugarphreak
07-23-2015, 08:05 AM

r3ccOs
07-29-2015, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Leveling kit is a pretty subtle mod, I am surprised they would even notice unless you pointed it out.

Also CV's are not that expensive, and relatively easy to install in an afternoon.

You can get a brand new Suretrack CV half shaft assembly for your front right for 128$ CAD from RockAuto.com, shipping, exchange, and duties included in that price.

though this may be a general statement... it seems with the 2014s and likely the new 2015's... the LCAs are different, and the issues being presented are not only common, but with levels are causing long term issues with CV(s), wheel hubs and other things...

Kinda strange, but I reckon its just the fact that there is no diff drop, as its not a true lift, and if you are to use 4x4 constantly, under load (towing/payload)... you may accelerate wear substantially

one of the places I asked about a level, basically said... not worth it... get a basic block lift with the proper parts to extend everything.