PDA

View Full Version : First bike help for girlfriend

Skrilla
07-27-2015, 09:46 AM
Looking at picking up my girlfriend her first bike. She enjoys riding with me, and had mentioned maybe getting her own someday. I figured i would surprise her and pick something up for this season. I am considering a couple options, just looking for opinions on experience with these. She is only 5'4 and all of 120lbs. I would like something she can sit on comfortably, and easy to learn on.

I have looked at so far:

Honda CBR 125R

I love the way these look for a entry bike. Super cheap to buy (most I see are $1400-$1800), tons for sale. My concern is the speed is limited to about 70MPH. Which for in city is fine, but I fear it may be sketchy on highway trips down the road.

Ninja 250

Looks OK, but costs near double the CBR, or you have to buy an older one. No idea how they ride or how reliable they are. No idea how much better top end these are than the 125 CBR.

Does anyone have something else I should look at? I don't want to spend a bunch in case she finds its not something she wants to get in to, or the bike is outgrown fast, than its easy to get out of.

Cheers!

Maxx Mazda
07-27-2015, 12:01 PM
Give a look to the KTM Duke 390. They're about $6K brand new but have a low seat height if she's short, and excellent resale value. Sounds like it might fit what you're looking for.

Graham_A_M
07-27-2015, 12:12 PM
Oh man, search dude, this has been discussed so many times it's crazy. If you don't want to spend money on something she'll outgrow, don't waste a second on the CBR 125. She'll out grow that in about two weeks. That's why you see so many for sale with under 3k kms on them. After two weeks, she'll want something with more power, perhaps a month, tops. They can do 70 MPH? Oh okay :rofl: news to me, perhaps downhill with a good back wind. That must be absolutely flat out. Passing people on the highway or Deerfoot? Forget it. The lack of power is more unsafe then you'd think. Unless her entire riding will be done on residential roads and whatnot with speeds under 90, don't even bother. Seriously. You'll thank me later

I'd very highly recommend the ninja 250 or 300. The 300's are more, but their EFI, unlike the 250 that they replaced. They handle much the same and are very light usable bikes that have way more power. She won't outgrow one anytime soon, and have a lot higher resale for that reason alone.
Yeah the 250's and 300's are more money, but trust me, you get what you pay for.

Skrilla
07-27-2015, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Oh man, search dude, this has been discussed so many times it's crazy. If you don't want to spend money on something she'll outgrow, don't waste a second on the CBR 125. She'll out grow that in about two weeks. That's why you see so many for sale with under 3k kms on them. After two weeks, she'll want something with more power, perhaps a month, tops. They can do 70 MPH? Oh okay :rofl: news to me, perhaps downhill with a good back wind. That must be absolutely flat out. Passing people on the highway or Deerfoot? Forget it. The lack of power is more unsafe then you'd think. Unless her entire riding will be done on residential roads and whatnot with speeds under 90, don't even bother. Seriously. You'll thank me later

I'd very highly recommend the ninja 250 or 300. The 300's are more, but their EFI, unlike the 250 that they replaced. They handle much the same and are very light usable bikes that have way more power. She won't outgrow one anytime soon, and have a lot higher resale for that reason alone.
Yeah the 250's and 300's are more money, but trust me, you get what you pay for.

Thanks, I did search but mostly it was guys asking about themselves, and 9/10 they are quite a bit bigger than her (was hoping to hear what other guys wives ride). I found a decent ninja 250 I am going to have a look at. I thought about lowering my old F4I but she wasn't keen on riding it for a starter. The more I look around I think the Ninja 250 or CBR 250 (forgot they made these) will be my bike of choice.

As for the 125 70MPH top speed, dont know how incredibly accurate the speedo is, but I had my nephews going that fast on the highway. It did sound like it was going to combust however.

firebane
07-27-2015, 12:40 PM
People seem to forget that just because a bike has a bunch of power doesn't mean you need to use that power.

Bigger bikes can sometimes mean more weight to the bike but if you own a bike you should be able to handle that weight and especially moreso when it falls over.

If you can't pick up the bike your riding you shouldn't be riding it.

rx7boi
07-27-2015, 01:06 PM
I have looked at Ninja 250's on Kijiji.

Some of the ones have 13,000 km's or more on them but they're selling for roughly $2400, so definitely not nearly double the price of CBR 125's like you suggested.

You could probably pick it up for $2200 if the guy is willing to deal.

I don't ride but I've been interested in picking up a bike for a while now, so I search on Kijiji every so often to see what they'r'e worth.

Skrilla
07-27-2015, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by rx7boi
I have looked at Ninja 250's on Kijiji.

Some of the ones have 13,000 km's or more on them but they're selling for roughly $2400, so definitely not nearly double the price of CBR 125's like you suggested.

You could probably pick it up for $2200 if the guy is willing to deal.

I don't ride but I've been interested in picking up a bike for a while now, so I search on Kijiji every so often to see what they'r'e worth.

found 5 cbr 125's for $1200. So thats really splitting hairs, ok not half more like 40-48% cheaper :clap:

carson blocks
07-27-2015, 02:42 PM
Or, send her to a quality bike school that has a ton of different bikes to try, and let her see which she likes. As a bonus, she'll actually learn to ride.

Mista Bob
07-27-2015, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks
Or, send her to a quality bike school that has a ton of different bikes to try, and let her see which she likes. As a bonus, she'll actually learn to ride.

What a crazy idea, where on earth did you come up with such madness?

carson blocks
07-27-2015, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Mista Bob

What a crazy idea, where on earth did you come up with such madness?

I drank the kool-aid.

Graham_A_M
07-27-2015, 03:16 PM
Yeah the difference between the CBR 250 and ninja 250 is the fact the CBR is still a single cylinder. The ninja 250 and 300's are inline twins. So the ninjas will have more power and it'll be a lot smoother too, but with the added cylinder, you have a bit more weight too obviously. I'd check out both and see which one she likes best, but yeah a 250 would be the smallest I'd ever go.

HomespunLobster
07-27-2015, 03:31 PM
Or look at something older that you won't regret being dropped. Paid $2000 for my 2001 Ninja 500. 500CC inline twin. Not so powerful that it was hard to control, and enough power to still have fun and ride it.

KO22
07-27-2015, 04:01 PM
Yeah like others posted, don't get a 125. Shit, I started at 1200cc as my first bike at 170lbs haha, doesn't mean you use all that power (though obviously I don't recommend it).

rx7boi
07-27-2015, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Skrilla

found 5 cbr 125's for $1200. So thats really splitting hairs, ok not half more like 40-48% cheaper :clap:

:rofl: Ok ok, maybe they are really that cheap. I was wanting a CBR 125 till I started looking and saw how cheap Ninja 250's were.

PS: Link to those CBR's please because for $1200 I might actually pick one up to play around on haha.

16hypen3sp
07-27-2015, 10:50 PM
Graham is always against the CBR 125.

Firstly, since I own one, let me tell you how it rides.

Clutch is so damn smooth, it glides like a bar of Crisco over a nice hardwood floor.
Smoothest shifting Honda I have ever owned.
Yes, fairly gutless.
Fastest I could get it going was 125 kph on level grade… and it took a long time to get there.
It's a Honda, so its reliable.

I still think it's one of the best beginner bikes out there.
I witnessed some crazy shit go down where a beginner lost control. I couldn't imagine if that beginner was on a bigger machine… It would have been mayhem.

I say send her to motorcycle school.

snowcat
07-27-2015, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by firebane
People seem to forget that just because a bike has a bunch of power doesn't mean you need to use that power.

QFT

I hate all topics relating to starter bikes.

Skrilla
07-28-2015, 07:26 AM

It never was about the power as much as the weight of the bike, and overall comfort when riding. I don't think there is anything wrong with someone riding a 250CC IMO, if that's all the power they feel they will need. Just because they make 1000cc+ super-bike's doesn't mean you have to buy one. Most people that ride larger displacement bikes never use them to their potential anyway, and they are a waste. But being able to say "I ride a *insert biggest/fastest bike made here*" sounds cool I guess :dunno:

She and I are both attending a school regardless of the bike chosen. Anyways, I bought a bike last night for her. Thanks for the helpful responses, went with the Ninja 250R!

firebane
07-28-2015, 07:29 AM

It never was about the power as much as the weight of the bike, and overall comfort when riding. I don't think there is anything wrong with someone riding a 250CC IMO, if that's all the power they feel they will need. Just because they make 1000cc+ super-bike's doesn't mean you have to buy one. Most people that ride larger displacement bikes never use them to their potential anyway, and they are a waste. But being able to say "I ride a *insert biggest/fastest bike made here*" sounds cool I guess :dunno:

She and I are both attending a school regardless of the bike chosen. Anyways, I bought a bike last night for her. Thanks for the helpful responses, went with the Ninja 250R!

I would never start anyone on a 125... 250 is a perfect starting size and weight and its what I started out on.

I had a 198x Yamaha SR250 bike which was a lot of fun.

Skrilla
07-28-2015, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by snowcat

QFT

I hate all topics relating to starter bikes.

:rolleyes:

Skrilla
07-28-2015, 07:32 AM

I would never start anyone on a 125... 250 is a perfect starting size and weight and its what I started out on.

I had a 198x Yamaha SR250 bike which was a lot of fun.

I almost bought an old cb last night for her, it was in decent shape. May still pick it up for myself

reiRei
07-28-2015, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp

I say send her to motorcycle school.

This. Very much this.

I have been looking at getting my first bike ( was supposed to get it this year, but had to buy a car). I am a 5'3 girl, definitely not 120 lbs though. I started looking at bikes, and then realized that before I sink a bunch of money on the bike, gear and so forth that I should invest in lessons to see if I even like riding.

I think motorcycle school is a great idea, then you're not on the hook to sell anything if she doesn't like the bike.

If you still want to buy a bike, i was looking at the Ninja 300, which has a decent amount of power and a really low seat height. Most of my riding is going to be highway commuting to work (live im Kelowna and would ride to Vernon).

Graham_A_M
07-28-2015, 09:30 AM

I almost bought an old cb last night for her, it was in decent shape. May still pick it up for myself
if you don't could you pm me the link? I may make a trip back just to pick it up if it's decent.

Skrilla
07-28-2015, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

if you don't could you pm me the link? I may make a trip back just to pick it up if it's decent.

Will do, I am going to see it on Thursday. Thanks again for the help, good choice on the bike!

Skrilla
07-28-2015, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by reiRei

This. Very much this.

I have been looking at getting my first bike ( was supposed to get it this year, but had to buy a car). I am a 5'3 girl, definitely not 120 lbs though. I started looking at bikes, and then realized that before I sink a bunch of money on the bike, gear and so forth that I should invest in lessons to see if I even like riding.

I think motorcycle school is a great idea, then you're not on the hook to sell anything if she doesn't like the bike.

If you still want to buy a bike, i was looking at the Ninja 300, which has a decent amount of power and a really low seat height. Most of my riding is going to be highway commuting to work (live im Kelowna and would ride to Vernon).

Yea the bike was cheap enough i'm not too worried. Nothing good for instructor rides around Medicine Hat so hoping to book in Calgary. It fits her perfect, maybe shes a little taller than 5'4 haha I just guessed :dunno:

codetrap
07-28-2015, 12:33 PM

rx7boi
07-31-2015, 01:01 PM

Sweet, negotiated a good price for it, I hope?

haggis88
07-31-2015, 01:11 PM
My first bike was a Kawi GPZ500S, it was a 1992 with 56,000 miles on it...sure i've posted here about it...

My gran gave it to me after it had been sitting in her garage for 7 years without moving...learned so much on that thing, had it all stripped down and refreshed...only thing I didn't do myself was the safety inspection!

Awesome little bike for a starter rider...even if it was pink & white :D